New to The Nightmare Of Calibration

Home Forums Help and Support New to The Nightmare Of Calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

wowcalibrator
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is well.  My recent quest to simply buy a 27inch 4k monitor has turned into an OCD nightmare.  Never considered calibration before and now am pretty confused.  I have always just used my Macbook as is – as it seems very accurate.

I find that whenever I calibrate my monitor it flattens the blacks and color saturation making my monitor look “dull” in comparison.

I have the Xrite i studio device.  I have triued calibrating with both X Rite Software, Spyder Software and now DisplayCal.  I get the same “flatter” look everytime and lose my rich deep blacks.

Is this normal?  Why am I losing the rich display after calibration?

I am testing both the LG 5K monitor and the Viewsonic VP2785-4K.  Both are wide gamut monitors.  Both become “flatter” and lose their “richness” after calibration.

How do I get my blacks back??

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

post the measurement html file.

Vincent
    Participant

I am testing both the LG 5K monitor and the Viewsonic VP2785-4K. Both are wide gamut monitors.

Two of the worst widegamut monitors in the market. Severe color uniformity issues and for LG apple’s way of “do not customize my behavior” .
    Also you choose a colorimeter to save a few buck that cannot use Viewsonic colro bration HW cal solution.

Is this normal? Why am I losing the rich display after calibration?

[..]

Both become “flatter” and lose their “richness” after calibration.

Once you profile them, not need even to calibrate, just profile, color managed apps start treating them as waht they are: a non sRGB-like display.
    These color managed apps make things look as intended: as described by image’s own profile/colorspace or asuming some sRGB colorspace as default.

I would say that all is working as intended.

wowcalibrator
    Participant

Thanks for the response.  I will post them soon

wowcalibrator
    Participant

I don’t understand your “save a few bucks” comment.  I got the colorimeter that was mentioned in the viewsonic manual but didn’t work with the software.

is the X-rite studio a bad colorimeter?

Can you recommend a good wide-gamut 4k 27 inch display?

“non sRGB-like display.” – What do you mean?

if you calibrate or build a profile that’s SRGB does that then reduce the gamut?

Vincent
    Participant

I don’t understand your “save a few bucks” comment.  I got the colorimeter that was mentioned in the viewsonic manual but didn’t work with the software.

is the X-rite studio a bad colorimeter?

It is as good as i1displaypro, but slower. It’s a good device. But Xrite licensing policy blocks it to be used with HW calibration software from NEC, Eizo, Dell, Benq, Viewsonic.. so if a potential colorimeter buyer is going to buy a monitor with HW cal there is no reason to go for i1display studio/color munki display colorimeter.

Color munki display / i1 display studio is meant ONLY for people that is not going to use or buy a display that use HW calibration. A simple accurate solution for common displays.

Can you recommend a good wide-gamut 4k 27 inch display?

Eizo CS2740, about 1500 euro, about +30-50% of viewsonic but near perfect color uniformity (dC) out of the box & reliable HW cal package.
    You’ll need i1displaypro too, not i1display studio.

“non sRGB-like display.” – What do you mean?

widegamut, p3, AdobeRGB, etc. Color managed apps will know it from profile so most content which is encoded in sRGB even of they to not explicitly say it, need to be desaturated from native gamut RGB values… because that colors under direct 1 to 1 mapping from image to screen with the same RGB values are wrong (if content is sRGB).

if you calibrate or build a profile that’s SRGB does that then reduce the gamut?

Profile is just display description. To limit display gamut FOR ALL APPS SYSTEM WIDE to just sRGB or close to that you’ll need:
    -use HW cal if available, so you’ll need and i1displaypro, not a i1display studio
    -use RGBCMY saturation controls in “custom color”/”user” osd mode and some measurement software with your coloriemeter. It may be easier to do with DIsplayCAL cousin “HCFR”.
    -If you are in windows and have an AMD GPU you may try sRGB emulation from EDID data. System global. Accuracy is not granted since it trust EDID data to be accurate. No measurements are made.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

wowcalibrator
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answers.  I didn’t realize the x-rite studio had this limitation.

sorry for the  stupid questions but just trying to understand something –

when I use the default profile for the monitors in Mac display settings / color

For example “LG UltraFine” – the display is very rich with deep blacks and rich colors.   After I “calibrate” or create a profile – everything becomes more flat/dull – including the desktop and everything.  Even the icons in the dock are less saturated/flat.

how do I just make sure my colors are accurate but keep the nice rich blacks and saturation that the “lgultrafine” profile gives me?

i hope this question makes sense…

Vincent
    Participant

when I use the default profile for the monitors in Mac display settings / color

For example “LG UltraFine” – the display is very rich with deep blacks and rich colors.   After I “calibrate” or create a profile – everything becomes more flat/dull – including the desktop and everything.  Even the icons in the dock are less saturated/flat.

Use displayCAL “profile info” app to see a 2D or 3D colorspace plot of each profile. It shows info of current default display profile in OS. Change profile in OS and you can see info of each one.
    You can use it commandline too “DisplayCAL-profile-info.exe <PATH TO DISPLAY ICC file.icc>”, but IDNK if you are familiar with commandline. This way you can see both at one.

how do I just make sure my colors are accurate but keep the nice rich blacks and saturation that the “lgultrafine” profile gives me?

First of all check that, compare profiles = check if “LG ultrafine” profile is accurate or not = if gamut boundaries are equal. This is for saturation of green/reds on color managed apps.
    TRC info (tone response curve) is about display “gamma”: gamma “reported by manufacturer to ALL units be true or not” and display gamma after calibration.

If LG 5K is almost equal to an iMac screen you need to use the same “mac retina P3” spectral correction. Otherwise the profile you made won’t be accurate.
    It is known, but maybe not for you and your calibrated profile is actually wrong because of that.. and it’s lifting blacks.
    IDNK whidch backlight tech uses Viewsonic. I would say GB-LED like Dell U2413, maybe other people have more info on this.

wowcalibrator
    Participant

Thanks so much!  I’m away today but i will try this tomorrow. I might have some follow up questions. Thanks for helping me.

I have decided to return the viewsonic. You are right.  There are issues with the uniformity of the color – especially when viewing a white screen.

I know the LG 5k is overpriced and the design is very ugly but I have to say it’s the nicest looking screen I have tried – nice contrast and uniformity – so if I can confirm the colors etc are very accurate then I might want to keep that one.

are there any other reasons you don’t like this Lg model?

thanks again.

Vincent
    Participant

I know the LG 5k is overpriced and the design is very ugly but I have to say it’s the nicest looking screen I have tried – nice contrast and uniformity – so if I can confirm the colors etc are very accurate then I might want to keep that one.

are there any other reasons you don’t like this Lg model?

thanks again.

Does it have OSD controls at least for RGB gain/offset? I meant, is it like an Imac? If it does not have such features then it’s like an imac, a big laptop IPS display… but a laptop display.
    All white point corrections would need to be done at GPU LUT, like in a laptop. If it is close to D65 out of the box, it is no problem if it have a GPU with high bitdepth LUTs and dithering like the AMDs. If you have other GPUs and try warm white for print match… it may loose a lot of unique grey levels limiting in GPU LUT max value  in channel blue.

It is not an issue because it’s and LG, or an Imac clone… it is an issue because they are “big laptops” and suffer the same issues as laptops regarding whitepoint.

wowcalibrator
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I’ll be honest. I really don’t know what the hell i’m doing!

The LG 5k is like a big laptop display I believe or an iMac clone as you said. You can only adjust the brightness.
    that being said, I have no idea what settings etc I should be using to simply make sure my colors are accurate.

when I used the x-rite software and the display cal software to make a “profile” that was at 6500k and gamma 2.2 I got the much flatter look with lighter  blacks losing the nice rich color of the p3 display

so no idea how I do this correctly  sorry I am so inexperienced  any help is amazing   I thought I was simply calibrating the monitor – meaning the colors were displaying accurately  this whole color space gamut thing has thrown me for a loop

wowcalibrator
    Participant

I should also say – I’m not really making prints. Most of my work is seen online so the p3 is more important as that seems to be the new color standard.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I’ll be honest. I really don’t know what the hell i’m doing!

The LG 5k is like a big laptop display I believe or an iMac clone as you said. You can only adjust the brightness.
    that being said, I have no idea what settings etc I should be using to simply make sure my colors are accurate.

when I used the x-rite software and the display cal software to make a “profile” that was at 6500k and gamma 2.2 I got the much flatter look with lighter  blacks losing the nice rich color of the p3 display

so no idea how I do this correctly  sorry I am so inexperienced  any help is amazing   I thought I was simply calibrating the monitor – meaning the colors were displaying accurately  this whole color space gamut thing has thrown me for a loop

You can only calibrate white, grey neutral to its white and gamma (and gama will be ignored for color managed apps). Once grey is calibrated, display is measured, like in a taylor and a profile is made. Grey calibration for GPU is stored in a special tag in taht profile but it’s secondary. A profile is a set of measurements about how a display behaves. Like measures from a taylor.

If near black things look washed maybe thre is something with achieved gamma: check profle TRC as instructed.

As said before green and red when displaying sRGB content NEED to be desaturated. Images are meant to be seen that way, in an accurate way. If in doubt, check G & R primaries coordinates form profile info, or validate your profile win DIsplayCAL (all options unchecked in verification tab, just choose some testchart)

wowcalibrator
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

I’m not sure if I did it correctly but i used the default profile on the mac for the LG Ultrafine 5K and I ran a verification against a a testchart in the verification screen (see screen shot attached).  I attached the HTML results as well.  Looks like lots of bad isues – but i don’t know if I did this correct?

Scott

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

It is expected, you are validating how display behaves against what manufacturer says it is reference.
    It would be closer if you validate how display behaves against a profile made by you.

Also you are not using colorimeter correction, this will have some influence in measured whitepoint. We’ve talked about this previous ly. For P3 mac o p3 mac clones “WLED PFS Mac retina P3”.

Anyway, middle greys seems to be not neutral for “factory calibration” (which is what you are validating).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS