Need help with Nvidia Control Panel

Home Forums Help and Support Need help with Nvidia Control Panel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

mic37
    Participant

I calibrated my monitor.
    What settings should I use on the Nvidia Control Panel in “Choose how color is set“:
    other applications control color settings” OR “Use NVIDIA settings?

As I have noticed, before I started calibration I had checked “Use NVIDIA settings”.

After calibration was completed, I looked at my settings again and noticed that I have now “other applications control color settings”.

Please explain.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by mic37.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

there’s two places where such an option (or similarly named) exists, under “Change resolution” (where it’s safe to change e.g. bitdepth), and “Desktop color” (where “other applications” needs to be selected, i.e. no change).

mic37
    Participant

Hello Florian,

Thanks for the response. So my settings are correct?

Please take a look at the attached print screen.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by mic37.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, that looks fine. Be sure to keep digital vibrance and hue at defaults, too (as in screenshot 50% / 0%).

mic37
    Participant

Florian,

Thanks for your help!

I have another question regarding calibration of wide gamut monitors.

I have Dell 2408 Wide Gamut Monitor. I used it previously with AMD video card. The AMD driver has an option to enable the color temperature control via EDID.
    So, just by checking a box in the AMD driver I was able to fix the wide gamut colors quickly and automatically.
    The calibration with a colorimeter did not fix this problem for Wide Gamut Monitor.
    Now I have EVGA 1060 SC 6GB card and I cannot find a solution to use EDID on it since the Nvidia driver does not have an option to control color temperature control via EDID.

Would you recommend solution or utilities for color temperature control via EDID on EVGA Nvidia cards?

Thank you in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So, just by checking a box in the AMD driver I was able to fix the wide gamut colors quickly and automatically.
    The calibration with a colorimeter did not fix this problem for Wide Gamut Monitor.

That makes no sense. There is no color management outside of color managed applications, and this has nothing to do with driver settings. And certainly adjusting the whitepoint has no direct influence on display gamut.

mic37
    Participant

That makes no sense. There is no color management outside of color managed applications, and this has nothing to do with driver settings. And certainly adjusting the whitepoint has no direct influence on display gamut.

Let me rephrase that. I understood that there is no color management outside of color managed applications. Please take a look at the attached file showing the interface of the AMD control panel. By checking a box it makes the desktop colors look “normal”. I was thinking that there is an utility to do same outside of NVIDIA control panel since it does not provide “Color Temperature Control” via EDID.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

By checking a box it makes the desktop colors look “normal”. I was thinking that there is an utility to do same outside of NVIDIA control panel since it does not provide “Color Temperature Control” via EDID.

I’m pretty sure all the AMD utility does is overwrite the videoLUT to alter the output (thus overriding/disabling calibration) – the result is arbitrary due to not being measurement-based.

mic37
    Participant

By checking a box it makes the desktop colors look “normal”. I was thinking that there is an utility to do same outside of NVIDIA control panel since it does not provide “Color Temperature Control” via EDID.

I’m pretty sure all the AMD utility does is overwrite the videoLUT to alter the output (thus overriding/disabling calibration) – the result is arbitrary due to not being measurement-based.

Thanks for explanation.

mic37
    Participant

Hello Florian,

Please explain what are the acceptable limits of the Media white point (ΔE 2000 to daylight locus  and ΔE 2000 to blackbody locus)
    and Media black point (ΔE 2000 to daylight locus and ΔE 2000 to blackbody locus) for a good calibrated monitor.

I found information on Internet that Delta E should be less than “3” if I understood this correctly…

Below are the portion of the calibration results related to the Delta E from the profile information:

Luminance 188.76 cd/m²
    Media white point
    Is illuminant Yes
    Illuminant-relative XYZ 94.78 100.00 108.59 (xy 0.3124 0.3296)
    Illuminant-relative CCT 6513K
    ΔE 2000 to daylight locus 0.65
    ΔE 2000 to blackbody locus 5.16
    Media black point
    Illuminant-relative XYZ 0.1022 0.1068 0.1160 (xy 0.3146 0.3286)
    Illuminant-relative CCT 6405K
    ΔE 2000 to daylight locus 1.84
    ΔE 2000 to blackbody locus 3.07
    Absolute to media relative transform Bradford (ICC recommendation)
    Matrix 0.8951 0.2664 -0.1614
    -0.7502 1.7135 0.0367
    0.0389 -0.0685 1.0296

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A good calibrated monitor will have a dE to the respective locus (which you can choose as advanced option on the calibration tab, and the default and recommended setting is daylight) of <= 1. You are basically guaranteed to achieve this after the monitor has been calibrated.

mic37
    Participant

what you can say about the calibration results I got. Please take a look at the attached file.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That looks fine.

mic37
    Participant

Ok, thanks.

But, how about “ΔE 2000 to blackbody locus 5.16” ?

Your comments and explanation appreciated.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But, how about “ΔE 2000 to blackbody locus 5.16” ?

Purely informational, as you have calibrated to a daylight target. Had you calibrated to a blackbody target, this would be the value to look at instead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS