need help calibrating MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Home Forums Help and Support need help calibrating MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

dyocoid
    Participant

which correction should I select for

15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch
    300 nits brightness
    Standard color gamut (sRGB)

Also,

under what circumstances is it advised to enable White / Black level drift compensation?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

None for you, do not use that options.

Also if you own a standard gamut (sRGB-like) macbook, do not use that CCSS correction. It is not meant to you, it is for P3 macbooks. Use common “White LED family” or a community CCSS correction for common WLED macbooks (sRGB) of the same years as yours.

dyocoid
    Participant

Thank you so much !

I used to use  Basiccolor  but they went bankrupt

Could you point me towards any other settings  or a tutorial ?

I  photograph museum work so I calibrate to D50.

Vincent
    Participant

Basiccolor can be a good 3rd party tool for supported monitors with HW calibration (NEC PAs)… but IMHO it is highly NOT RECOMMENDED for GPU calibrations.

The number of caibration patches is too low, so if you own a problematic display with green-magenta tints in grey ramp Basiccolor may be not able to correct it at 100%.
    i1Profiler although is not as powerful as DisplayCAL does a better job than Basiccolor in greyscale color correction.

Regarding your assistenace request, read in this forum about bugs related to macOS desktop color management engine.
    As a summary, macOS color management engine fro desktop is broken if you choose a profile type different from the most basic ones: single curve matrix and balck point compensation (traslated to layman words: a profile that says to color management engine “my grey is perfectly neutral and display has infinite contrast” even if it is not true).
    Since Adobe suite color management engine is not affected (only apps from Apple) you may choose to live with macOS desktop user interface artifacts and errors but use a highly accurate “table” profile (XYZ LUT profile type).
    Is up to you. I would try basic approach, then validate such highly idealized profile and if errors when compared to calibarted screen behavior are low, keep the simple & idealized profile.

Also you must understand that you are trying a D50 white point target in a laptop. Laptops do not have RGB gain OSD mensu for configuring white point using internal electronics, dithering and all the stuff non-Apple desktop monitors have at their disposal.
    That means that white point is going to be corrected in graphics card calibration tables (LUT) in the same way as any other grey.
    If your macbook native white is a cool white close to daylight ~7000K and you want a D50 white, that means that a HUGE limitation has to be applied to blue channel, limiting its maximum output (green too). So you may loose more than 20% of unique shades of blue in order to corret whitepoint, so you are going to loose about 20% of unique grey levels or more.
    A laptop  is not the most suitable display fro a D50 calibration.
    Of cource you can do it… I’m explaining what you are going to loose. You losed it whith Basiccolor too, although you may not have known this fact.

So set D50 white point, 2.2 gamma (which should be close to native gamma in order to do not loose more unique grey levels correcting gamma), common White LED correction for i1d3 colorimeters and a simple profile type “single curve  matrix”+”black point compensation”.
    All of these should be in “default” Settings (upper combo) for macOS DisplayCAL, then just modify white point to D50 if you need it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

dyocoid
    Participant

Thank you so much for all your great advice !

dyocoid
    Participant

Thank you again Vincent!

I followed your advice except I changed to Gamma 1.8

plmk if you spot any errors or have any other advice.

Attachments:

dyocoid
    Participant
    Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS