Monitor calibration undesirable results or just Newby

Home Forums Help and Support Monitor calibration undesirable results or just Newby

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Samskihero
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I bought a i1 display 1-2 years ago and used with displaycal and way unhappy with the results so I just never used it again

I do photography for web and video for the web I don’t print but I do intend to export for Broadcast

I’ve finally decided to try again and calibrated my monitors again, I did tried sRGB for images and also tried rec1886/709 for video and the results in terms of gamma and gamut temperature may be correct but feel undesirable.. or just wrong for my kind of web uploading?

The gamma is less contrasty which is good I guess as I can see shades little bit better and the gamut color seems good but too warm feeling
    D65 target for both sRGB and rec1886/709

I’ve edited without an uncalibrated monitor for years now and never have had any uncertainty of color or gamma what I edit looks the same on my iPad on my phone of my friends monitor on my gf’s phone it’s consistent with consumer uncorrected monitors.

Now that my monitor is calibrated it no longer actually matches anything, it’s warmth had caused me to make my images colder causing them to appear extra cold on other devices and my gamma now has smoother shades of black less contrast I’m adding more contrast crushing the images even further and looking worse on other devices

My images look good on my monitor but look worse and don’t match on any other consumer devices anymore

My website has also never looked so out of place on my “calibrated” display but used to look good and still looks good on all consumer devices (Ipad, Phones, Uncalibrated display)

I can’t figure out if it’s bad calibration or normal and this is just the life of what a calibrated monitor is like, Trying to figure out what the best decision is here.

Specs

Monitor Samsung LC27JG50QQUXEN

Calibrator Display Xrite i1

Any help would be really appreciated
    Thank you
    -Samuel

Vincent
    Participant

Do not use Rec1886 with a 1000:1 CR display, it’s very likely that it won’t look as you want. If you seach online about what is Rec1886 and it’s relation with black level of a display you’ll know why.
    Try gamma 2.2 for general purpose monitor of 2.4 if you are using non color managed video editor for Rec709 like Vegas, Premiere and such.

Also we do not know what measurement device you have:

-i1display 2? old, aged filters

-i1displaypro/munkidisplay? ok, but it need to know backlight tecnlonogy in your display to correct itself… otherwise device can report D65… but it is not D65.
    Google your display, common sRGB displays use WLED (blue led + yellow phoshor), use that correction (White LED IPS LG Samsung.. etc). Some new multimedia or gaming displays with high coverage of P3 colorspace may use more exotic backlights like WLED PFS.
    Also your display may be a little different from default corrections so unless you can make a tailor-ad ecorrection for your particular display with a reference measurement (which are not cheap) you may need to visually fix white point a little and ignore measured vs assumed whitepoint on  verification reports.

Also most uncalibrated displays using led backlights go cooler that D65 for white point because it’s closer to tecnology native white point and manufacturer don’t care at all or they know but choose to remain close to native white to do not loose contrast.
    If you care about maching another displays… measure that other display (same colorimeter correction requirements based on display tecnology), once that you have thatt other white numerically… use it as target.
    You can even measure and characterize (profile) that external display, make a LUT3D from that profile an your display profile and see in your display how a movie will look on that other display  (IF colorspace covcerage and contrast requirements are met on your computer display)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Samskihero
    Participant

Thank you so much for this info while my response is short I really found what you have me helpful

Thank you a lot!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS