Meter mode question

Home Forums Help and Support Meter mode question

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Sorry I don’t understand… ‘Save as’? …When I click on your link I get a browser page full of numbers…Shouldn’t the correction be a specific file that gets imported into a program like HCFR? … There is no file here to save.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Why would this ‘ imac P3’ profile be any better than the manufacturer’s profile?  Doesn’t the manufacturer do the same thing?  They profile different display types with their meter to come up with the corrections?

What’s different?

Vincent
    Participant

Why would this ‘ imac P3’ profile be any better than the manufacturer’s profile?  Doesn’t the manufacturer do the same thing?  They profile different display types with their meter to come up with the corrections?

What’s different?

Manufacturer (apple, sony) gives you nothing… that’s why you are asking questions here.

Xrite bundles a few common corrections, but they do not bundle this new “widegamut led” for TVs in its i1Profiler suite… not yet. Since you are a customer, ask them why and when.

Sorry I don’t understand… ‘Save as’? …When I click on your link I get a browser page full of numbers…Shouldn’t the correction be a specific file that gets imported into a program like HCFR? … There is no file here to save.

If you do not understand the meaning of “Save as…” option in an internet browser, I’m afraid that no one can help you here.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My recommendation would be to just use the RG phosphor spectral correction.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thank you Florian. I was beginning to think that myself. I used RG phosphor last night while running your 5000 patch characterization and it matched up with Calman’s ‘Led blue green’ perfectly… After running your ‘XXXL’ Verification report I ended up with an average DE of 0.28, and nothing greater than DE 0.70 – (1000 point test)

Overall the color looks fantastically natural and accurate. Especially noticeable in skin-tones. I’m not sure that I would further benefit from user-made corrections at this time. Probably make things worse. 🙂

And Vincent: Of course I know the meaning of ‘Save As’ … My question was about WHAT to save, as your link only provided a page full of numbers and no ‘saveable file’…. I thought you were a nice guy. No need to get sarcastic on me.

Cheers.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Vincent
    Participant

What you saw as “numbers” is the correction file. It’s a text file.

So a user that wants to use whatever spectral correction on DisplayCAL database just need to “Save as…” and use it in DisplayCAL/HCFR. It’s easy.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Steve Smith
    Participant

So what format does it need to be saved in? .txt (Notepad)?

Vincent
    Participant

Most internet browsers will set a filename suggestion when you save something.
    I’m not really the best suited person to teach/guide you on basic operation of an internet browser.

Steve Smith
    Participant

What I mean is what file format does DisplayCal,/HCFR require to successfully import a correction file? … Or otherwise stated, do correction files have a standardized file format? It’s a fair question I believe.

Vincent
    Participant

Explained here:
    https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/File_Formats.html

DisplayCAL & HCFR use or contain ArgyllCMS functionality.

Steve Smith
    Participant

So it appears that it’s *.CCSS that is required.

Steve Smith
    Participant

So do I need to be in the P3 colorspace on my TV when I calibrate using the imac p3 correction you suggested, or can I calibrate in the REC709 with this imac correction?

I also have an adobe RGB mode as well.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The correction is valid in any mode of the TV because the backlight/primaries don’t change, but profiling in a wider than Rec. 709 gamut mode (i.e. native) has the benefit of not unnecessarily restricting the gamut via the TV electronics, thus likely giving you better gamut coverage even if the goal is to only simulate Rec. 709 (e.g. via 3D LUT).

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks Florian… My widest colorspace is labeled REC 2020 on this TV so I guess I would use that… But as you stated on another post, it would greatly oversaturate my Windows Desktop and any other un-colormanaged program. (Not good for me). Really need a LUTbox. But when I use the REC 709 colorspace I only cover 93% of the gamut.

What about a compromise? I also have Adobe RGB and P3 colorspaces available… Which would you choose? Surely one of these would give me 100% RGB, right?

Steve Smith
    Participant

okay I I tried the iMac p3 correction. It doesn’t work. Colors look horrible. I think it’s designed for a refresh monitor, not an LCD. Evident by the fact that when the correction is entered in dispcal the meter mode automatically switches to ‘refresh generic’.  the result is a greenish cast. Definitely not correct.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Meter mode question’ is closed to new replies.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS