Meter mode question

Home Forums Help and Support Meter mode question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hi Florian.

I have a meter mode question in DispCal… First I calibrate the grayscale in Calman using their meter mode (LED Green Blue) Then I move over to DispCal to do a color characterization only… I’ve been using the ‘White LED Samsung, AC,’ correction up until now but I’m wondering if this might be a mismatch because I always get a difference of 100K between programs.

So what is the equivalent meter mode of ‘LED Green Blue’ in DispCal? I don’t see it listed among the others.

Thanks

PS, maybe I’m wrong for choosing LED Blue Green. I was told that that was the mode to use for a Sony ‘Triluminous’ display …  (Sony X900E) … Do you know?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not sure what “LED Green Blue” is in CalMAN, but it doesn’t seem to be one of the default X-Rite provided corrections. “White LED” definitely isn’t the same.

Vincent
    Participant

“LED Green Blue” is GB-LED, and it is one of the default Xrite corrections (RG_phoshor.edr for other software)

INDK actual SPD for Sony ‘Triluminous’ X900E but if it is a (non QD) LED TV with big P3 coverage, there are two options to get a proper correction for an i1d3 without an spectrophotometer:

-GBLED, as explained above. SPD has two spikes for B & G but R shows a broad spectrum (phorphor). Tipical widegamut LED for photography. Avaliabe in CALMAN(as is) and DisplayCAL (import corrections from i1Profiler setup, or user made in displaycal’s colorimeter corrections database like NEC PA, Eizo CS…)

-iMac P3 / new CG Eizos: B & G are very similar to above but R has a narrow spectrum with 2 spikes (not a phosphor). You have examples of these two backlights in DisplayCAL colorimeter correction database but Eizo’s may not be taken in  a native gamut calibration and may need some kind of “pre-process”. Try with the p3 mac since it’s easier.  If you want to take this correction to a user mande Calman 3×3 matrix it is possible but you need to use ArgyllCMS command line and a few matrix operations.
    Most “LED P3” but not QD TVs fall in this 2nd group.

Readings from an i1d3 with these two SPD samples should not be “too different”.

Also to use CCT difference as measurement comparision (your 100K) is usesless becasue it is not a proper way to describe “color distance”.

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

——-

BTW, since we have DisplayCAL and HCFR (calman-like but GNU), no need to use CalMAN at all unless  it could write LUT calibration to your TV.
    HCFR supports user-made spectral corrections like DisplayCAL (you you can use that imac P3 correction as is). Give it a try.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Vincent. Reason: Missing URL
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thank you for your replies guys…

Vincent, you are full of detailed and informative information! I appreciate that… But I am not quite so versed in color corrections as are you. I’ve learned a lot over the years, but I can see that I still have far to go.

I wonder if I might impose upon you to simplify your advise for me… My understanding is that I can either use pre-created corrections (by the manufacturer) for my id3, or I can use user-made corrections which are paired with specific devises in HCFR or DispCal. Although I’ve heard that using user-made paired corrections is risky due to the inherent variance in device manufacturer and in user error or experience.

So if I were to use corrections already created by manufacturers, what would be my best bet for aSony X900E?  White LED or BG?

Also, when I compared results between programs using the 100K difference metric, I was only trying to point out that something was causing that difference. And since the only thing I had changed was the meter correction I was left to assume that it was the wrong correction since in the past this color temp always matched up . (Using WLED in both programs) … Now I think that since I used BG in calman and WLED in DispCal, that was causing the 100K difference… But now I see that BG in Calman is RG Phosphor in DispCal. Nice! Really helpful for the novice trying to make sense of all this. Changing the names across programs!

So which correction would yeield the best result in my case: WLED or BG (RG)?

BTW, my TV has P3, Adobe, and 2020 gamuts, but right now I’m trying to calibrate fdor REC709. Computer connected to TV used as photo editor. (Photoshop).

Thanks for any help. 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Vincent
    Participant

So if I were to use corrections already created by manufacturers, what would be my best bet for aSony X900E? White LED or BG?

Bundled WLED correction in xrite  software is a SPD for a LED sRGB -like screen: common monitors and LED TVs with just sRGB/Rec709 coverage.
    P3-like TVs should go to the other kind of corrections. If your sony has >90% P3 and what to use bundled corrections… then use RG_phosphor/BG/GBLED
    P3-like TVs should have a Rec709 mode… but R,G,B native primaries SPD are be the same in that mode, so they emulate Rec709 with some kind of lut-matrix (Rec709 primaries as a combination -adding- of native primaries). Such mode may be user configurable, may be blocked at factory.  IDNK your model’s OSD controls. I mean: use native SPD as correction for Rec709 measurements, native backlight SPD works when measuring all kind of “emulated colorspaces” for that display.

For a P3-like TV… I think that widegamut led with “double red spike” SPD would be closer to your actual backlight in your TV, but since i1d3 is a very accurate device (very close to standard observer) switching to a better spectral correction may improve just a few dE (1-3).

Edit & P.S.:
    Some manufacturers call that P3-like widegamut SPD with double red spike “WLED” too, which causes missunderstandings.
    Maybe they meant “Widegamut led” with that name, but bundled Xrite “WLED” is “White led”:  a blue led + yellow phosphor for near sRGB coverage… which is noit the kind of backlight present in a LED with near full P3 coverage.
    That “WidegamutLED” backlight is very close  to iMac P3 (just P3) or newer CGs from Eizo (bigger gamut to cover AdobeRGB too).
    So my guess is that DisplayCAL iMac with “P3” label CCSS should work for your TV.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks Vincent… So you think that ‘widegamut led with “double red spike” SPD ‘ would bring the best results? … Could you please help me to find this correction. I’m not sure how to get it exactly. Can I use it in Calman?.. Would I then import it into DispCal? (I’m used to using DispCal to do color characterzations).

Please let me know how to get it, thanks. 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Steve Smith
    Participant

OK, now I’m getting a little confused! Lol…

Could you please tell me the exact names of the corrections I should use in both programs. The Calman name and the DispCal name.

That would simplify things greatly for me. Thanks.

Vincent
    Participant

Can I use it in Calman?..

Not directly. Indirectly yes but it need more work and since you look too confused, forget it at this moment.

Would I then import it into DispCal? (I’m used to using DispCal to do color characterzations).

Yes, just donwload imac P3 example. I posted URL before.

Could you please tell me the exact names of the corrections I should use in both programs. The Calman name and the DispCal name.

For bundled corrections,

DisplayCAL:  RG_phosphor (import it from i1Profiler setup exe) which should be the same as CALMAN “Blue green led”

… and you are done.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Perfect! Thank you very much. 🙂 … Now I’m going to go and calibrate my new TV. I’ve been using the wrong corrections and the results were good but not what I thought it should be… Now I see why. I was using WLED in Calman and Dispcal… Now I will try LED (blue green) and RG_phosphor respectively… Hoping for better results.

Cheers! … I’ll let you know how things turn out.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Can I use it in Calman?..

Not directly. Indirectly yes but it need more work and since you look too confused, forget it at this moment.

Would I then import it into DispCal? (I’m used to using DispCal to do color characterzations).

Yes, just donwload imac P3 example. I posted URL before.

For bundled corrections,

DisplayCAL:  RG_phosphor (import it from i1Profiler setup exe) which should be the same as CALMAN “Blue green led”

… and you are done.

PS … I don’t see the iMac P3 correction in that link you provided. I searched it but it doesn’t come up… How do I find it… Would I then put it in Calman and DispCal?

Is this a user created correction? … And you say it might be a better match for me than BG\RG phosphor?

Vincent
    Participant

PS … I don’t see the iMac P3 correction in that link you provided. I searched it but it doesn’t come up… How do I find it… Would I then put it in Calman and DispCal?

Is this a user created correction? … And you say it might be a better match for me than BG\RG phosphor?

Apple >iMac > CCSS, then choose one with “P3” in its name.
    For example: CCSS 170317-iMac27P3 Late 2015 (i1 Pro Refresh HiRes adaptive) (2017-03-17 17:59:17)
    User made, 3nm high res mode thanks to ArgyllCMS driver.
    Non Quantum dot P3 LED displays should be more or less the same: widegamut, full or near full P3 coverage and “just” P3, nothing more.
    It’s a little more difficult to get a correction for CALMAN from this CCSS, but it could be done (command line & matrix ops). Out of the scope right now for you. Try that CCSS on HCFR if you want CALMAN -like interface.

Other high end displays with near full P3 coverage but at the same time full or near full AdobeRGB coverage will be a litle different in green: newer kind of photo monitors from a few manufacturers.
    On the other side LED P3 TVs are more likely to fall on the first group (imac-like, just P3 and nothing more)

Steve Smith
    Participant

I’m a little confused about this Apple iMac thing. I have a Sony TV. Does this refer to the panel manufacturer?… So what you are saying is by downloading this correction I should get better results than I would if I use the bundled correction. Bluegreen, Red Green? … and you’re also saying that I can import this user correction into hcfr for grayscale calibration and in to displaycal  for color characterization?

Vincent
    Participant

I’m a little confused about this Apple iMac thing. I have a Sony TV. Does this refer to the panel manufacturer?…

Nope.

It’s an iMac. The newer ones have P3 gamut but lack of AdobeRGB coverage that other (better) displays have:
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/33cfd5a23bc817b2c859511bf3e9bc69/170317-iMac27P3%20Late%202015%20%28i1%20Pro%20Refresh%20HiRes%20adaptive%29.ccss
    Just download & use it. They are more or less like “P3-like” LED TVs…

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks… I tried to download yhe link you provided but all I got was a screen full on numbers… Shouldnt there be a donloadable file or something… Maybe I’m missing something here.

So, when I get the file I just import it into DispCal and HCFR?

Vincent
    Participant

Save as…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Meter mode question’ is closed to new replies.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS