Matching monitors with different Gamuts in Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support Matching monitors with different Gamuts in Resolve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tom Janson
    Participant

Hi there,

So I am currently trying to calibrate my setup for grading in Resolve. Resolve color management is set to Rec 709 Gamma 2.4. I have a standard gamut LG (sRGB) and a wide gamut dell UP2716-D (manages about 94% P3), with a Panasonic HDTV (Rec. 709) connected to my BM Intensity Pro 4K.

The problem is, after calibrating all three , the LG and Panasonic are almost a perfect match,  but the Dell is quite far off  – even after matching it’s white point by eye to the other monitors during calibration, It still has an obvious greenish tint to it. Also when I render the video out and look at in quicktime on the dell, this difference is apparent.

Is there anyway to get a better match here, perhaps by limiting the gamut on the Dell somehow? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Vincent
    Participant

If you match white point visually try to use relative colorimetric while doing LUT3D for resolve.
    Also keep in mind that it is a WLED PFS variant with narrow spikes in red, but somehow higher “ground” in that channel that current WLED PFS => use a native gamut 3.3 correction for colorimeter, and better to use an i1d3 or better device.

If you want to limit gamut to rec709 for other non color managed video players, try to use Dell’s DUCCS, latest version. You’ll need an i1displaypro. It does not apply the proper colorimeter correction for UP2716D backlights, so you may need a futher GPU calibration tweak in DisplayCAL to get a match.
    An i1pro1/i1pro2 is not recommended in DUCCS with that backlight, 10nm reading will miss information.
    Best to use “Custom xy” mode in DUCCS, set manually rec709 gamut, D65 and yur desired gamma (2.4 typical) rather that using presets, some of them do not mean what you may think.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Tom Janson
    Participant

Hi Vincent, thanks for getting back to me.

You are right, it turns out that my problem was to do with the colorimeter correction settings. After doing some further reading, I’ve now learnt that cheap colorimeters often have problems with wide gamut displays. I’ve been using a colormunki and as I don’t have access to something fancier the solution was to use one of the community correction settings (there are six available for the UP2716D, I chose the one with the i1d2 as reference). This has got me much closer, there is still a tiny difference on red skin tones but I can live with it.

Thanks again for the help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS