Matching IPS to TN – White not as white?

Home Forums Help and Support Matching IPS to TN – White not as white?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Zachary K.
    Participant

I’m in the process of matching three monitors. One IPS (LG 27GL83A-B) and two TN (S2716DG).

The IPS is my new main monitor, for the increased viewing angles. I read guides on this website and others. I adjusted my IPS using DisplayCal first. Using Spyder 5, Gamma 2.2, 6500k, XYZ Lut + Matrix, White LED, Medium calibration speed,  and using the interactive display adjustment to get everything in the green.

Then I wanted the TNs to match the IPS, so I read here that I should visually (by eye) try to get a white and grey screen on the TNs to look as close as possible to the IPS before running DisplayCal. I did that. I kept the DisplayCal settings the same, except I selected “As Measured” for the whitepoint, instead of 6500k. I left the interactive display untouched, because I matched the white/gray screen earlier to my IPS.

After completing DisplayCal on all monitors, the colors on all three monitors look pretty close. But, the whites are noticeably “whiter” on both of my TNs. The difference becomes quite pronounced when viewing black and white manga drawings. The TNs have distinct whites in the manga, while the IPS has a more shaded white. Perhaps yellower white.

I prefer the whiter whites of the TN.  I would greatly appreciate any tips on how I can get my IPS to have those whites? I’ll provide any information of my calibrations that would help with that.

I’ve uploaded my profiles for all three monitors to this post. I don’t know if I’m misinterpreting the profile information, but when comparing the Gamut graphic of the monitors, the TNs are bigger than the IPS…I was under the impression that IPS had better colors. Unless that’s not what that means. here’s a picture for reference:

Thanks for any assistance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Zachary K.
    Participant

I went back to factory calibration for my IPS and the whites are whiter and look closer to the TN. Very apparent using a gray scale. Still not quite as white though. So, I’m getting an X-Rite calibrator and I will report back once I use that instead.

Zachary K.
    Participant

Sorry for the triple post, but I also wanted to make note that while I looked at Florian Höch’s FAQ addressing my exact issue, I did not properly stop and reread it until I actually understood what he was saying. I see places where I went wrong now and I see he has already provided a lot of the help I was looking for. Sorry and thank you. I will properly do it again after I get my X-Rite.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS