Macbook air M1 calibration

Home Forums General Discussion Macbook air M1 calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

matck06
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I just bought a macbook air M1 and I want to calibrate it with my colormunki probe,

I wanted to know if I could follow this tutorial with exactly the same settings (I have attached the photos of the settings below)

thank you in advance for your help and this fabulous software

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

matck06
    Participant

Hello,

I just saw that I created the topic on general discussions instead of help and support.

if a moderator can move the topic

thank you

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

What are going to use the laptop for? Photo editing? Print design? Video editing?

matck06
    Participant

Good evening,

only photo editing on capture one. I don’t make a video, maybe later.

haris b
    Participant

please, after you do calibrate, share the test results here!
    I am looking to buy this exact macbook , and was wondering how good the screen is!
    Thank you!

matck06
    Participant

Yes I would post the results Sunday or Monday once I have the correct settings on displaycal

Vincent
    Participant

Settings seem OK, just remember that since an iMac is a big laptop screen, whiepoint wuill be corrected using GPU LUT tables.

D6500 shoud be close enugh to imac native white (which is isuually cooler) so correction will be mild to small. But if  you wanter some paper match white (as Kuba asked you) like D50 or its neighbors then correction will be huge, blue channel has to suffer a big cut on max output, maybe cuting at 60% +-.

Same warning applies to any other laptop screen, mac or PC (and for calibration purposes a 27″ imac screen is a laptop screen), although on cheap office TN laptops even at D65 correction may be huge.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

matck06
    Participant

Here is the result I get with the settings identified on my first post,

it seems to me that if I use XYZ LUT instead of single curve + matrix I would obtain better color accuracy on the PS and Capture one software but also color defects on some MAC OS applications with this XYZ LUT?

I specify that on this test I used the simple curve + matrix and a normal speed for the calibration, maybe on slow I would have obtained a better delta E max

Attachments:

haris b
    Participant

Thanks for sharing the results!
    Really great for such a “cheap” entry level macbook.
    Do you also have the color report that has information about Color space coverage etc?
    What differences did you notice between XYZ lut and Matrix, was it with your eyes, or better results when you run the calibration test report?

Vincent
    Participant

Here is the result I get with the settings identified on my first post,

it seems to me that if I use XYZ LUT instead of single curve + matrix I would obtain better color accuracy on the PS and Capture one software but also color defects on some MAC OS applications with this XYZ LUT?

yes

I specify that on this test I used the simple curve + matrix and a normal speed for the calibration, maybe on slow I would have obtained a better delta E max

maybe no.
    Calibration in displaycal and other apps (monitors without HW cal) is only for greyscale. If you have greyscale errors againts true neutral grey (a*b*=0) , slow speed may improve greyscale errors (unless it’s near black RGB 000).
    Colorspace errors will remain +- the same with slow speend and matrix profile since validation is making a comparison against “an ideal additive display” described by its primaries (matrix) vs actual display behavior.
    Using an XYZLUT will store display behavior after calibration like if it was a 3D mesh, with several points, hence validating if profile matches display behavior described by a more realistic aproach (a 3d mesh created from actual measurements  instead an idealized mesh make of matrix primaries)

matrix  = idealided display behavior
    XYZLUT = a 3D mesh made with lots of actual measurements form display after calibration

PS: dE is so low in your display that I would not care about it unless it is located in grey (RGB+gray balance upper combo, check combined a*b* range value)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

matck06
    Participant

So I have not tried the LUT XYZ + MATRIX, apparently it’s better and it corrects the problems with the programs I will try this profile tonight

I read this information in this topic or florian confirms. (https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/xyz-lut-vs-xyz-lut-matrix/)

I think the XYZ + matrix LUT is privileged

if vincent can confirm that 🙂

matck06
    Participant

edit: addition of the extended test verification file (carried out yesterday after the calibration)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by matck06.
    Attachments:

matck06
    Participant

i just found an answer on a macbook pro m1 user
    who uses the XYZ LUT + Matrix profile and who has concerns about Preview / QuickLook and lightroom libraries (https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/mac-osx-lightoom-xyz-lut-matrix-profile-crushed-blacks-in-library-module/)

So the single curve + matrix profile is more reliable after all, then an average Delta e of 0.75 is still a nice score on an entry-level Macbook.

sorry for the posts i could no longer edit my old posts.

matck06
    Participant

Hello,

last night I recalibrated with the slowest speed and got better results.

on the other hand I tried to calibrate in lut xyz + matrix and I get a bad result ..

but in the end the simple curves profile + matrix with a slow speed produces an exemplary result delta E 0.65 and delta E max 1.71 which allows to retouch these photos without second thought.

result attachment.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by matck06.
    Attachments:

haris b
    Participant

Nice to hear you achieved good end results, and thanks for sharing them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS