LG C8 CALIBRATION

Home Forums Help and Support LG C8 CALIBRATION

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mauri
    Participant

Hi!

I just bought a LG C8. I’m gonna use it as my main grading monitor (davinci resolve)

I need  to get a professional calibration  using displaycal so I’d like to know:

TV:

-What function do I need to disable on the Tv (dynamic contrast, noise reduction, etc)?

-Which gamma do I have to choose from the options? (2.2-2.4-1886, etc)

DISPLAYCAL

-Number of profiling patches?

-Patch size?

-Do I have to enable white or black level drift compensation?

-Do I have to select LG WOLED from the “correction” menu or leave it to “Auto(None)”?

-What about input and output encoding? Should I leave it to Full range rgb 0-255 or  select TV RGB 16-235?

Do you think is it better to use an external lut box instead of selecting the 3d lut within resolve?

How ofter should such a tv be calibrated?

Many Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

-What function do I need to disable on the Tv (dynamic contrast, noise reduction, etc)?

All dynamic functionality needs to be disabled.

-Which gamma do I have to choose from the options? (2.2-2.4-1886, etc)

Keep the default (BT.1886, equal to pure power gamma 2.4 on a display with zero black level like your OLED)

-Number of profiling patches?

Around 1000. Do a preliminary profile with the default 175 to assess the result.

-Patch size?

As small as possible, dark background.

-Do I have to enable white or black level drift compensation?

White level drift compensation is recommended for OLED.

-Do I have to select LG WOLED from the “correction”

Yes.

-What about input and output encoding? Should I leave it to Full range rgb 0-255 or select TV RGB 16-235?

Full range for the 3D LUT encoding. Output levels configuration is done in Resolve.

Do you think is it better to use an external lut box instead of selecting the 3d lut within resolve?

An external LUT box would allow you to use different sources as well. But accuracy wise it should not make a difference.

How ofter should such a tv be calibrated?

It’s up to you to decide 🙂 A good ballpark for professional use is every few weeks.

Mauri
    Participant

Hi Florian and thank you so much for the kick response.

quick question

As for the patch size you said ” as small as possibile” . I know that smaller patches can’t handle 1D+3D LUT and I’ll need both. Based on that, which would be the perfect patch size for me or what’s the smallest patch that can handle both 1D and 3D LUT if that does make more sense?

thanks a lot

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I know that smaller patches can’t handle 1D+3D LUT

Why? That doesn’t make sense.

Mauri
    Participant

I don’t know. I found it on some forum.

Anyway,  What do you think would be the best patch size for this situation?

thanks

Mauri
    Participant

Keep the default (BT.1886, equal to pure power gamma 2.4 on a display with zero black level like your OLED)

Default gamma is 2.2

Do you think a 17×17 patch will do or should I choose an even smaller patch?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you think a 17×17 patch will do or should I choose an even smaller patch?

Are you talking 3D LUT resolution? Patch size is to me the physical size of the test patch on screen during measurements. In that case smaller is better because it can avoid ABL (on displays that have it). For 3D LUT resolution on the other hand, the more the merrier is usually better, because it allows for higher encoded accuracy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS