I need some help to understand

Home Forums Help and Support I need some help to understand

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    I need some help to understand I’m totally confused right now.

My stuff

• MacBook Pro 13″ m1
    • i1Display Pro Plus Rev. B-02
    • LG 32″ UltraFine 4K 32UN880-B
    1. How do I see how’s the display are factory calibrated? As I need to change for example gamma etc to bee perfect before using the profiling.
      I have been reading in the forum but I can’t find how the heck I can do that – can someone show a guide for it with picture or similar?
    2. As my display has 95% DCI-P3 I’m using the 94% P3 Panasonic correction I am assuming that’s the correct one.
    3. As I’m using macOS I know it’s some limitations but I guess that this settings during the calibration are OK to use with macOS
      As you can see I have changed the Profile Type to Single Curve + Matrix.
      Is my settings correct that I have been choosing? You can see them in this post I have attached them.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi,
    I need some help to understand I’m totally confused right now.

My stuff

• MacBook Pro 13″ m1
    • i1Display Pro Plus Rev. B-02
    • LG 32″ UltraFine 4K 32UN880-B
    1. How do I see how’s the display are factory calibrated? As I need to change for example gamma etc to bee perfect before using the profiling.
      I have been reading in the forum but I can’t find how the heck I can do that – can someone show a guide for it with picture or similar?

Macos should have assigned a display profile to your display, likely to be generated on the fly by edid data, full auto without your intervention. Check it.
    If not, try to get it from vendor web, including windows driver, extract exe/zip with 7zip and default ICM should be here. Copy it to macos and assign it as default display profile in Macos for your LG. There are tutorials aboute where macoss display profiles shoudl be located but using ColorSync you can choose other locations manually.

Once you have done & checked this:
    Open DisplayCAL, go to verification tab, uncheck all checkboxes. Run measurement report. This will check if “vendor ICC” (how vendor says your display behaves) is equal to measured display behavior.
    Remember: vendor ICC should be configured on macOS as display profile, NOT your custom made ICC with calibration. Otherwise you won’t be validating “out of the box” behavior.

Alternatively you can check simulation profile and use simulation profile as display profile and choose your vendor ICC as simulation profile, but that will be redundant. Those options are meant to verify sRGB/AdobeRGB and such in a fast way on monitors that have more than 1 preset.

On 1st run it’s posiible that measurement report is disabled, I do not remember, long time ago since 1st run. Installing manually vendor profile fom File menu should enable it.

1. As my display has 95% DCI-P3 I’m using the 94% P3 Panasonic correction I am assuming that’s the correct one.

Yes

1. As I’m using macOS I know it’s some limitations but I guess that this settings during the calibration are OK to use with macOS
      As you can see I have changed the Profile Type to Single Curve + Matrix.
      Is my settings correct that I have been choosing? You can see them in this post I have attached them.

Seems Ok to me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perfect thanks!

but if I would use the profile in other softwares that uses there own colorenging I guess that I can use other then Singel Curve + matrix right?

if I do understand it right single curve + matrix is the limit because of macOS buggy colorenginf

Vincent
    Participant

Vendor ICC is just to check “Factory calibration out of the box”, or to use your display “trusting” that factory calibration is accurate (whatever it’s true or not)

If you want to correct white (by OSD) and grey (by OSD gamma settings + 1D GPU grey calibration in custom ICC), you must assign that custom created profile as default display profile. DisplayCAL will do this when it finishes calibration as asks you to install it.

Once one of these profiles is assigned as “default display profile” most color managed apps will ask OS for it and you wont need additional configuration. Maybe enable color management if it’s disabled by default or something like that in GNU apps, but most of them won’t need additional configuration: Safari, Photoshop, Lr, … etc

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS