How to get Color Space Gamut on TVs

Home Forums Help and Support How to get Color Space Gamut on TVs

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Lenk83
    Participant

Maybe I choose the wrong patterns for HDR profiling? I take 175 patterns advanced testform.

Lenk83
    Participant

On Settings above I always choose “Actual settings”, no profile or other LUT stuff. Should I do different here?

Vincent
    Participant

Just set TV to an OSD mode with native gamut. Read TV manual, sometimes this is under CMS control but it will vary between models.

Lenk83
    Participant

There is no nativ mode on this TV, on some others it is. I can only switch “Color Scale”: Natural, rec709, smpte-c, EBU, rec.2020.

On Rec2020, Windows HDR: around 69% (color space coverage) 70% (color space volume)

On Rec2020, Windows SDR: around 805% / 86%, so that helped a lot.

I will try out with higher Backlight to improve, or the others scales I mentioned.

Thanks so far!

Lenk83
    Participant

One TV for about 400 Euros does have 55,9% DCI P3 Coverage. I would say it has NO Coverage. What is the lowest percentage someone can talk about DCI P3 Volume and Coverage? I read something about 50% Volume more than sRGB and 75% more Gamut than sRGB.

Vincent
    Participant

That usually means you did something wrong, like HDMI range mismatch

As said above, likely to be an user misconfiguration in computer to TV connection or that you messed up all OSD presets.

Raj S
    Participant

I really insist on the USB patch + HCFR approach. It doesn’t show percentages but you will easily be able to see what’s wrong on the diagram. It’s not just for calibration.

There are so many errors you could have doing HDR with Windows, and especially with DisplayCAL which isn’t even made for HDR.

So run HCFR, load the USB patch on the TV for “primaries” (Red Green Blue), play it on repeat to activate HDR settings, now change the TV color space setting to Rec2020 (make sure HCFR is set to the same), and measure. Please share with us the screenshot.

DisplayCAL has an Untethered mode (like “DVD manual” in HCFR) and we can use that with the USB patches later to work out the percentage. But first please use HCFR.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Raj S.

Lenk83
    Participant

That usually means you did something wrong, like HDMI range mismatch

As said above, likely to be an user misconfiguration in computer to TV connection or that you messed up all OSD presets.

The mentioned TV has really bad quality. When you put it on SDR it nearly looks like black/white. On HDR, you can see, many colors are missing AND showed completely wrong. Isn’t it likely that some TVs don’t have a wide gamut and no dci p3 coverage above 50%? Again: On what percentage can you say, it has a HDR support at all?

Lenk83
    Participant

I really insist on the USB patch + HCFR approach. It doesn’t show percentages but you will easily be able to see what’s wrong on the diagram. It’s not just for calibration.

There are so many errors you could have doing HDR with Windows, and especially with DisplayCAL which isn’t even made for HDR.

So run HCFR, load the USB patch on the TV for “primaries” (Red Green Blue), play it on repeat to activate HDR settings, now change the TV color space setting to Rec2020 (make sure HCFR is set to the same), and measure. Please share with us the screenshot.

DisplayCAL has an Untethered mode (like “DVD manual” in HCFR) and we can use that with the USB patches later to work out the percentage. But first please use HCFR.

Did use HCFR for accuracy, worked fine. But it is now about coverage in percentage. Can you tell me how to “work out the percentage” from the HCFR values? I would try out.

Lenk83
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate your help, all of you. But it would be nice to get some of my questions answered instead of getting new advices 😉

Some of my questions still remain: What exactly does the Percentage of Color Space coverage mean?

For example … 65%  of DCI P3 means:

a.) 65 % of the whole color space, which is including the smaller one like sRGB? Than 65% of the color space would be no DCI P3 at all. It would be pretty identical with sRGB.

b.) 65% of the DCI P3 Colors which are already  beyond sRGB and Adobe RGB. Than 65% would be not that bad.

Can someone clarify please?

Lenk83
    Participant

Example:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Medion-Erazer-Beast-X30-review-Slim-powerful-QHD-gaming-notebook.618267.0.html

“he display cannot reproduce the AdobeRGB (69%) and DCI-P3 (68%) color spaces, and the sRGB color space is reproduced at 98%.”

Vincent
    Participant

Coverage = Intersection value, colospace volume in both colorspaces.

Volume = equivalent volume, even if colors are in different places.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS