How to get Color Space Gamut on TVs

Home Forums Help and Support How to get Color Space Gamut on TVs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Lenk83
    Participant

I use x-Rite One Studio and have a Spyder X Pro as well.
    Can you tell me, if there is a possibility to get a percentage of the targeted color space gamut with DisplayCAL, for example rec.709?

Set all “calibration tab” settings to native/as measured, then make a profile (which won’t store GPU grey calibration)

After calibration profile will report 3 typical coverages (sRGB/AdobeRGB/P3), for arbitrary colorspace comparison check iccgamut & viewgam:

Reply To: Gamut Display Error or Scam ?

This is what I did. The new LG B2 gets about 69% DCI P3 Gamut. Reviews using Calman report about 97-99%. Maybe the TV does not really show its HDR capabiliets altough the connected Laptop Windows Feature is switched to HDR on? See above, my last post.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

I use x-Rite One Studio and have a Spyder X Pro as well.
    Can you tell me, if there is a possibility to get a percentage of the targeted color space gamut with DisplayCAL, for example rec.709?

Set all “calibration tab” settings to native/as measured, then make a profile (which won’t store GPU grey calibration)

After calibration profile will report 3 typical coverages (sRGB/AdobeRGB/P3), for arbitrary colorspace comparison check iccgamut & viewgam:

Reply To: Gamut Display Error or Scam ?

This is what I did. The new LG B2 gets about 69% DCI P3 Gamut. Reviews using Calman report about 97-99%. Maybe the TV does not really show its HDR capabiliets altough the connected Laptop Windows Feature is switched to HDR on? See above, my last post.

Maybe you are using TV on TV mode (Rec709)… or maybe you are using as target a brightness so high that WOLED RGB channels start to clip. Measure primaries with white @ 100cd/m2

Lenk83
    Participant

Ok that could be a useful hint indeed since I always measured with brightness level the tv mode has. I will give it a try now with 100cd/qm

Vincent
    Participant

If my memory is right its about > 100 nit when they clip, but to be sure check Light Illusion web with an actual 2D plot of WOLED RGB channel clipping and W rising past some point.

Raj S
    Participant

Personally I would forget calibrating HDR with Windows. I couldn’t get Windows 10 to display HDR correctly no matter what I did.

I recommend to use a test disk instead. With HCFR just change it into “DVD manual” instead of automatic mode.

You can download free HDR patterns from Mehanik on AVSforum. Search for “mehanik avsforum hdr” and you will find it.

You download it, put it on a USB stick and then plug into the TV and play those video files. In HCFR you will have to measure each pattern manually.

For your purposes you can just measure primaries (Red Green Blue) and see if they match up with P3 on the color graph (which it should).

Lenk83
    Participant

Personally I would forget calibrating HDR with Windows. I couldn’t get Windows 10 to display HDR correctly no matter what I did.

I recommend to use a test disk instead. With HCFR just change it into “DVD manual” instead of automatic mode.

You can download free HDR patterns from Mehanik on AVSforum. Search for “mehanik avsforum hdr” and you will find it.

You download it, put it on a USB stick and then plug into the TV and play those video files. In HCFR you will have to measure each pattern manually.

For your purposes you can just measure primaries (Red Green Blue) and see if they match up with P3 on the color graph (which it should).

Great idea. But would it not be like that the TV plays Video und Pics from a USB Stick with an TV-App, that does not guarantee 100% accuracy? I would assume the installed Media Player on TVs is by far more inaccurate than any DVD. So better would be to burn all the pics / vids to a DVD and put it into the Player. But: How does the Player acivate HDR Mode on the TV? The DVD must have an info about HDR content, so the TV knows it when playing.

For example I played a HDR / Dolby Vision DVD on several TVs which have HDR, HDR10+ and more, but most of them did not activate it. I still do not know why…

Vincent
    Participant

There are SDs for Raspberry pi to use then as patch generator. For HDR you may need newer models but 2B works for FullHD SDR without issue.

Lenk83
    Participant

2B?

Next: I measured gamut and volume as you described. I have some questions left though

• On a Panasonic LCD LED I get around 70% each. But Colours of DCI p3 / HDR Videos like Youtube look pretty fine to me. Except the colors don’t shine that bright. So my explanation: Since the TV screen got bad Black and so a bad contrast ration (1.000:1), it lacks of bright and dark colors and that’s the reason the color volume is only 70% low.
    • BUT: Shouldn’t at least the color space (left value) be higher since luminance is ignored? Or are both respecting chromacity AND luminance?
    • One even has about 55% on volume. Can that even be? Doesn’t that mean it has no DCI P3 at all outside sRGB since DCI P3 is around 50% bigger?
    • Nearly every TV hast same values on each volume and coverage …like 89 / 82 and so on…
    • Connected Windows 10 is set to HDR, also the TV in HDR mode, proofed by Youtube HDR Videomode. I am assuming an error with the volume measurement nevertheless but I don’t know which one.

Raj S
    Participant

Playing from a USB stick directly on the TV is the most accurate. There’s lots of conversions between DVD player -> TV which could result in small errors. So your theory is actually the opposite.

Vincent also mentioned PGenerator (Raspberry Pi pattern generator) for HDR. It’s paid software that makes your Raspberry Pi into an accurate pattern generator. Fully automatic, works with most calibration software. It’s only worth it if you calibrate HDR a lot. USB patch should be fine for now.

Also, it’s not the blacks that affect gamut. Gamut is measured at 100% luminosity (white) and 100% saturation (color intensity). So it measures the color at the most brightest and vivid point for the gamut calculation.

How are you getting the color gamut/volume percentage? HCFR doesn’t show it. If you’re using DisplayCAL, it will be wrong because it’s only measuring in SDR.

Please show us a screenshot of your HCFR after measurement and we will see what’s wrong. Upload onto imgur and insert the link here.

Lenk83
    Participant

Again I don’t want to calibrate. I want to test factory calibration of accuracy and capabilities of gamut / volume. Since  HCFR does not support least and does not show percentage, I switched to displaycal.

Like Vincent discribed in first place. Profiling with all set to „as measured“. Set TV to HDR mode / DCI P3 colors too, windows 11 activated HDR. So why should that be wrong?

Vincent
    Participant

2B?

raspberry pi model B

Next: I measured gamut and volume as you described. I have some questions left though

• On a Panasonic LCD LED I get around 70% each. But Colours of DCI p3 / HDR Videos like Youtube look pretty fine to me. Except the colors don’t shine that bright. So my explanation: Since the TV screen got bad Black and so a bad contrast ration (1.000:1), it lacks of bright and dark colors and that’s the reason the color volume is only 70% low.

Unlikely.

• BUT: Shouldn’t at least the color space (left value) be higher since luminance is ignored? Or are both respecting chromacity AND luminance?

plot primaries or 3D gamut using DisplayCAL profile info and ypu’ll see.

• One even has about 55% on volume. Can that even be? Doesn’t that mean it has no DCI P3 at all outside sRGB since DCI P3 is around 50% bigger?

That usually means you did something wrong, like HDMI range mismatch

• Nearly every TV hast same values on each volume and coverage …like 89 / 82 and so on…
    • Connected Windows 10 is set to HDR, also the TV in HDR mode, proofed by Youtube HDR Videomode. I am assuming an error with the volume measurement nevertheless but I don’t know which one.

As said above, likely to be an user misconfiguration in computer to TV connection or that you messup all OSD presets.

Vincent
    Participant

PS: raspberry pi ISOs for pattern test generator are free, not paid. You can get them in AVS forum, at least the ISO with SDR support…. that’s how i get mine.
    Maybe newer ISOs for Rpi 4 are paid, but older (this last Xmas) where free.

Vincent
    Participant

Again I don’t want to calibrate. I want to test factory calibration of accuracy and capabilities of gamut / volume. Since  HCFR does not support least and does not show percentage, I switched to displaycal.

Like Vincent discribed in first place. Profiling with all set to „as measured“. Set TV to HDR mode / DCI P3 colors too, windows 11 activated HDR. So why should that be wrong?

That one. Set SDR. Profile, get % P3 coverage.

Lenk83
    Participant

You mean set TV and windows to SDR will give DCI P3 coverage in percent?!  I will give it a try but that seems to make no sense to me since all TVs push HDR colors only on HDR Mode. On some you have to activate advanced HDMI for that. A Samsung and LG TV high end panels get about 95-97% that way with HDR laptop settings and HDR TV. But still seems to be crap results on the cheaper TVs

Lenk83
    Participant

I have no clue about raspi. Just looking for the easiest way to get some infos about hdr gamut, don’t want to make it more complicated for that…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS