How to calibrate 4K TV for HDR gaming?

Home Forums Help and Support How to calibrate 4K TV for HDR gaming?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

HB123
    Participant

Hello, I recently got a Samsung RU8000 4K UHD TV and I was wondering how calibrate for HDR gaming when it is connected to my PC (rec2020, PQ gamma curve). I can make the TV go into rec2020/HDR mode by activating windows HDR. I will be using an Xrite i1Display Pro. I just have 3 questions about the process.

1.I don’t know settings to use in the calibration, profiling, and 3DLUT tabs for HDR content. I don’t see an option for PQ gamma curve.

2. Idon’t know what correction to use with my TV.

3. I don’t know if HDR calibration has any other specific conditions or requirements.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe you cannot do very much about it.
    TV itself should have a LUT3D mapping Rec2020 to its own capabilities, so if you fix something in grey or PQ curve, other outputs can be off since you are deforming the whole output of that cube with a single 1D operation.
    Also if TV uses some kind of FALD or ABL it may mess DisplayCAL readings kicking in when you do not want, so profile for HDR modes may be flawed.

Use HCFR to test how it behaves with Rec2020/PQ input, then try to fix grey ramp (neutrality, and PQ curve) with the minimium amount of modifications in OSD.
    Some TVs allow 3rd party paid apps to write LUT3D to display, for example some LG OLEDs or some OLED Panas (mostly SDR). That would be your best chance.

IDNK which correction for colorimeter

HB123
    Participant

Alright thank you. Do you know if doing the SDR rec709 calibration will affect the HDR at all?

Vincent
    Participant

OSD modes should be independent.
    Check RGBCMY of rec709 mode, maybe you can tweak them with OSD controls (6-axis and that stuff), them fix grey ramp in TV if OSD allows some multipoint grey calibration.

If you are going to use it with a computer grey ca be fixed with 1D LUT GPU and gamut outside rec709 boundaries can be fixed with madVR for movies, maybe with Reshade for games but I have not used Reshade and cannot help you with that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS