Hi, I was wondering what LED type and/or/if a spec correction for an Asus PA329?

Home Forums Help and Support Hi, I was wondering what LED type and/or/if a spec correction for an Asus PA329?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Darkmatter
    Participant

Hi, I was wondering what LED type and/or/if a spec correction for an Asus PA329? I know it’s a W-LED, but it’s a 10bit panel and has most of AdobeRGB 1998 gamut, and I hear they differ than more standard 8 bit, sRGB W-LED backlit panels.

Also, I read something from back in May I think from a name I recognize on this forum. Vincent. He mentioned that even with Nvidia’s Studio drivers, you don’t get 10bit output on your desktop or in an application in windowed mode??? Is this true?? šŸ™ I hear it works for Photoshop, which is the program I primarily use, but still….. šŸ™

Lastly, for a Photoshop 3DLUT, I have a couple questions because this still (yes, still… lol) area confuses the heck out of me.

I know I can apply a 3DLUT in Photoshop, but I wasn’t sure if I should then reset the GPU’s LUT back to linear since I’ve applied a correction to the image in Photoshop, so I wouldn’t want to “double up” the correction.

Second, I wasn’t sure if I should check the box for, “Apply Calibration (vcgt)” or leave it unchecked. Also, I don’t know if that affects if you should reset the 1D LUT or leave it applied. And I don’t even know how either would affect the 1D LUT that DCal has applied to the monitor’s desktop environment……. *mind = boggled*Ā Ā  This is mainly for Photoshop, but if the answer is different for video player playback I guess I should know that too. lol

Thanks to whomever reads! If it’s you Florian, or Vincent, I hope your doing well during these unusual times.

DM

Vincent
    Participant

Hi, I was wondering what LED type and/or/if a spec correction for an Asus PA329? I know itā€™s a W-LED, but itā€™s a 10bit panel and has most of AdobeRGB 1998 gamut, and I hear they differ than more standard 8 bit, sRGB W-LED backlit panels.

If it is actually a W-LED I would be a WLED PFS phosphor, graphic arts variant. Use HP Z24x bundled correction, you can plot it with “(i)” button and check that it is a WLED PFS.

Also, I read something from back in May I think from a name I recognize on this forum. Vincent. He mentioned that even with Nvidiaā€™s Studio drivers, you donā€™t get 10bit output on your desktop or in an application in windowed mode??? Is this true?? ???? I hear it works for Photoshop, which is the program I primarily use, but stillā€¦.. ????

Yes, for apps that use OpenGL 30bit composition on a 8bit dektop trick. It should work.
    Lightroom or CaptureOne do not need 10bit stuff, dithering = an universal solution for all HW.

Lastly, for a Photoshop 3DLUT, I have a couple questions because this still (yes, stillā€¦ lol) area confuses the heck out of me.

I know I can apply a 3DLUT in Photoshop, but I wasnā€™t sure if I should then reset the GPUā€™s LUT back to linear since Iā€™ve applied a correction to the image in Photoshop, so I wouldnā€™t want to ā€œdouble upā€ the correction.

IDNK I never check that functionality.

Second, I wasnā€™t sure if I should check the box for, ā€œApply Calibration (vcgt)ā€ or leave it unchecked. Also, I donā€™t know if that affects if you should reset the 1D LUT or leave it applied. And I donā€™t even know how either would affect the 1D LUT that DCal has applied to the monitorā€™s desktop environmentā€¦ā€¦. *mind = boggled*Ā Ā  This is mainly for Photoshop, but if the answer is different for video player playback I guess I should know that too. lol

Thanks to whomever reads! If itā€™s you Florian, or Vincent, I hope your doing well during these unusual times.

DM

IDNK how that feature works,
    -if reads source profile (image’s) then apply LUT3D data to display output no color managed, then when making LUT3D apply VGCT *unchecked* or it will be applied twice.
    or
    -if it reads source profile (image’s) then apply LUT3D to transform “some colorspace” (IDNK which one), then to display output no color managed, … which will render LUT3D not very useful if you want to use it for display calibration.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Thanks Vincent.Ā  I appreciate the info on the display type, and that I can plot it with “i”. BTW, is that a shortcut or a button I’m not seeing due to all males suffering from what I like to call, “Male Pattern Blindness.” šŸ˜‰

Although I have no idea what the last section means. haha

Also, I wasn’t sure if I am getting true 10bit gamut on my regular desktop on Windows 10 Desktop since I have a 10bit display, and I am using Nvidia’s Studio drivers.

Lastly, (beyond the fact that your last part was like reading Greek to me. lol) I don’t know what this 10bit/30bit, 8bit desktop trick is. Do you have a link you could post here?

Thanks!

DM

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks Vincent.Ā  I appreciate the info on the display type, and that I can plot it with ā€œiā€. BTW, is that a shortcut or a button Iā€™m not seeing due to all males suffering from what I like to call, ā€œMale Pattern Blindness.ā€ ????

Button next to correction combo

Also, I wasnā€™t sure if I am getting true 10bit gamut on my regular desktop on Windows 10 Desktop since I have a 10bit display, and I am using Nvidiaā€™s Studio drivers.

Lastly, (beyond the fact that your last part was like reading Greek to me. lol) I donā€™t know what this 10bit/30bit, 8bit desktop trick is. Do you have a link you could post here?

Thanks!

DM

Windows works in 8bit even if link to display is 10bit. It can go full 10bit in fullscreen. Some apps may draw a 10bit surface over 8bit desktop while not in full screen, sending all these data to 10bit link to display, that is what studio/Quadro drivers for Photoshop are about.
    Actually GPU drivers MAY expose 10bit interface to underlying app (OpenGL & Photoshop), but internally do temporal dithering, send 8bit data to GPU, and GPU to display over 8bit link and you won’t notice it (some Firepro with no 10bit display, maybe Quadro too, or 8bit pnel macbooks).

The “need” of 10bit stuff for SDR images is not some kind a HW delicatessen but actually an artificial “market segmentation”.
    Photoshop with 10bit is NOT used to see more colors or more color tones, it is used to get rid of rounding error truncations when going from image data to display. A solution that imposes a lot of HW requirements to do something that could be done in an easier way.
    The GOOD solution is the one used by Lightroom, CaptureOne, PS’ ACR filter, even madVR while in desktop non full screen and HW calibration solutions when going from 16-12bit LUT data to 8-10bit panel: dither

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS