HDR Calibration (and ICC profile)

Home Forums Help and Support HDR Calibration (and ICC profile)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Skoolx
    Participant

Hello, i’m a newbie in this “world”…i’d like to calibrate my hdr monitor (Samsung Chg70) for film and games. Is it possible with DisplayCal? If yes, how can i do? I have good result with sdr calibration but i can’t create icc profile for hdr. I use a SpyderX. Thank you for your patience!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

To profile a display in HDR mode, either switch the display to HDR using Windows 10 built-in HDR switch, or use madTPG. Note that there are many caveats with profiling in HDR, most are related to display stability and linearity:

• In HDR mode, a display does its own processing, which makes it unsuitable for profiling.
    • Things like local dimming or A(S)BL affect display stability as well. You may have to use stabilization patches (pattern insertion).
    • White level drift compensation may help.
    • Not all colorimeters are suitable for all luminance levels (the i1D3 Rev. A is suitable for up to 1000 cd/m2, Rev. B with special luminance upgrade up to 2000 cd/m2). This doesn’t affect typical HDR-capable desktop monitors usually because most are far from even 1000 cd/m2 peak.

Skoolx
    Participant

Thank you for the answer! So if I understand correctly, creating a profile for the HDR is useless (or even harmful). In any case, if I wanted to proceed, what kind of settings should I use in DisplayCal? With a normal “Gamma 2.2” setup the patch colors are displayed in sdr [and in fact the color analysis goes from 122% sRGB (96% dci-p3) in sdr to 70% (68 dci-p3) in hdr]. What am I doing wrong?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ignore gamut coverage when profiling in HDR.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS