Harsh contrast

Home Forums Help and Support Harsh contrast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bram
    Participant

I need some help setting up DisplayCAL for an LG tv (43UJ630V)
    I’m getting strange results with basic settings, there’s a harsh contrast with certain colors.

Attachment is color picker in photoshop using one of these profiles.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Bram
    Participant

I’m using a Spyder5, macOS.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure you’re not using any of the TV’s CMS controls (except contrast/brightness/backlight and RGB gains) and make sure to not clip any of the color channels. Also, disable (if possible) any dynamic dimming/contrast and enable white level drift compensation in DisplayCAL as well as set patch sequence to “Maximize lightness difference” (on the “Profiling” tab, enable advanced options to see this setting).

Bram
    Participant

I have everything i could find turned off in the tv’s settings. How do i make sure i do not clip any of the color channels? There’s no RGB gains, just color temperature and tint. I tried calibrating with white level drift compensation and maximize lightness difference but it gave similar results. I was using “white LED” under mode is that ok?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Your measurement window is much too large, your TV is probably employing some sort of automatic brightness limiting, distorting the measurements. Make the measurement window as small as possible, and use a dark background.

There’s no RGB gains, just color temperature and tint.

Do not use the tint control. Color temperature may be safe.

Bram
    Participant

I was using it like that because when I used the black background it didn’t seem to display anything when measuring dark colors.
    Do you really think a small measurement window will fix it?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you really think a small measurement window will fix it?

It may help, but if the TV dynamically adjusts the picture depending on displayed content, then all bets are off.

Bram
    Participant

I just wanted to say i have a good profile now, much better than a spyder sofware one. I’m not sure what did it though, I also found out there are more options when you select the expert preset on the tv. Thank you for the advice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS