Graphics artifacts with profile loaded

Home Forums Help and Support Graphics artifacts with profile loaded

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Thalagyrt
    Participant

I’ve got week-old 15″ RMBP with the 560 + Dell U3417W and am having severe problems when using profiles created by DisplayCAL.

For starters, the profiles DisplayCAL generates look amazing – everything is spot on. However, whenever they’re loaded, the monitor they’re loaded on starts experiencing graphics artifacting. Google Maps in satellite view will have a ton of black flashes that don’t occur without the profile loaded (and don’t occur with a ColorMunki profile loaded either), certain images render as just bright yellow squares on the DGPU and just white space on the IGPU, YouTube videos will flicker black. At first I thought I had a defective GPU, however all of these artifacts immediately go away when I switch profiles back to either the stock Apple one or a ColorMunki generated one. Unfortunately the ColorMonki profiles look like garbage.

Also, applications that utilize GPU acceleration perform abysmally with the profile loaded (I’m talking like 2-3FPS at best when anything is animating) but with the Apple calibration loaded perform perfectly fine.

On the upside, DisplayCAL has helped me get my RGB settings on the U3417W close enough to the Apple LCD that I don’t see a difference between the two anymore. On the downside, I don’t know how accurate it is – they both seem to have a slight red tinge to them without the profiles loaded. I’ve attached a picture of one example of artifacting + the generated profiles. Any suggestions on what I can try/other data I can send? Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Thalagyrt
    Participant

Oh yeah – another thing to note is that these profiles appear to work perfectly fine in Windows. Only OSX seems to hate it.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

certain images render as just bright yellow squares on the DGPU and just white space on the IGPU, YouTube videos will flicker black

That certainly sounds like a graphics driver problem (or maybe the hardware, although that seems unlikely).

At first I thought I had a defective GPU, however all of these artifacts immediately go away when I switch profiles back to either the stock Apple one or a ColorMunki generated one.

The ColorMunki software and Apple default profiles are simple matrix based ones. In theory these require less computing power to use if the color transform was not hardware based (i.e. GPU accelerated). If Apple does things the right way (i.e. create a shader and texture lookup from the more complex profiles so it can be applied in hardware at little to no cost), then there should be no difference, but seeing how Apple has managed to mess up color in the past years, maybe they’ve started to drop the ball here too. You can create simple matrix-based profiles in DisplayCAL as well (on the profiling tab, set testchart to “Auto”, move the patch amount slider all the way to the left and then choose “Create profile from measurement data…” in the file menu, selecting the existing profile).

Thalagyrt
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t think it’s hardware else I’d expect the problem to present in Boot Camp with the same profile loaded. I’ll play around with a simpler profile and see if I still have issues. I definitely think there’s something screwy going on within OSX’s graphics layer, because whenever I had these profiles loaded, GPU acceleration went to hell in every way. Golf With Your Friends, a game that can run on a toaster, would run at 5FPS with the profile loaded, and around 60FPS with it unloaded.

Thalagyrt
    Participant

Thanks! The simple profile looks worlds better than my manual RGB calibration on the monitor, and is exhibiting none of the problems mentioned above so far.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS