Good profile?

Home Forums General Discussion Good profile?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I enclose here the report of a calibration made just today, do you think it is a result that can go well?

P.s Is the colour volume value so high a problem? What is the difference between colour gamut and colour volume? What should be the optimal value of the latter?

Vincent
    Participant

Seems OK, neutral grey, no high range, good.
    If you wish you can try a simple matrix profile with the same grey calibration. It’s easier to some color managed apps if they believe display is an ideal additive device with true neutral grey. But you can skip it because your reference TRC is neutral.

I have doubts regarding colorimeter correction, maybe that display is like NEC EA275UHD/EA271U, a white led but with a little extended primaries in R & G.
    If white looks white to your eyes skip that too ad do not worry.

What is the difference between colour gamut and colour volume?

Gamut = intersection between A & B
    Volume = size comparison between A & B

B can be much bigger than A but their intersection may be small. Yours looks like White LED in those NECs but if you open profile info it will be easier to see by yourself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay thanks, I have performed another calibration with 11000 patches for profiling, I have attached the report.
    I honestly don’t see too many differences, so is it better to use the 779-patches preset instead of a much larger one?
    So a volume colour larger than 100 is not a problem? Just to be on the safe side

Vincent
    Participant

Okay thanks, I have performed another calibration with 11000 patches for profiling, I have attached the report.
    I honestly don’t see too many differences, so is it better to use the 779-patches preset instead of a much larger one?

Actually I was saying to you to do the opposite, choose a simpler profile keeping current greu calibration, matrix type with 100 patch or less and see if display matches that profile.

So a volume colour larger than 100 is not a problem? Just to be on the safe side

Volume of 114% sRGB means that display colorspace is bigger than sRGB, so non color managed apps will show oversaturated (& innacurate) colors.
    If you worry about this, read this thread to simulate that your display is just sRGB for non color managed apps:

I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Also since sRGB intersection is less than 100% some sRGB colors cannot be shown even in color managed apps, but since it’s 95% dont worry too much. All in gamut colors should be render in the proper way in color managed apps

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know, I understood what you said, this was a calibration done 1 or 2 days ago, not today. I just wanted to see if there was a big difference with a much longer profiling time. There don’t seem to be, can you confirm that? What number of patches do you recommend in this case, 779?

Vincent
    Participant

I know, I understood what you said, this was a calibration done 1 or 2 days ago, not today. I just wanted to see if there was a big difference with a much longer profiling time. There don’t seem to be, can you confirm that? What number of patches do you recommend in this case, 779?

Which answer? 1st or 2nd?

Ragarding 1st ones there are several profile types. A well behaved display can be described accurately by whitepoint, primaries and a neutral TRC. So using same grey calibration, generate a matrix profile and see if it behaves in a good way.
    If display can’t be described by that simple profile because color volume issues, keep that XYZLUT.

Regarding second, DisplayCAL or any other GPU calibration software calibrates grey, just grey. That’s all. Then a profile is made storing a description of monitor’s behavior. So even if it is “calibrated” non color managed apps will show slightly oversaturated & innacurate colors in your display (unless some stuff is done like in that thread), but color managed apps will show in gamut colors accurately.
    If you do not understand this (GPU grey calibration, ICC profile, color managed vs non color managed), try to ger some webinar on color management because it is pointless to go further unless you understood this.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS