Generate high quality VCGT only

Home Forums Help and Support Generate high quality VCGT only

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

Is there a way to generate just a high quality VCGT only without the whole 3DLUT?

Since basically all the software that I would use on an HTPC is not color managed, it seems like a waste to measure all the 3DLUT patches when I will only get applied the VGCT part.

Also, I have seen that some displays (mainly projectors) will end up with artifacts such as posterization when performing a 3DLUT for madVR for example.  But it would be great if I could just generate a high quality VCGT to at least correct the white balance and gamma which should not introduce such posterization artifacts.

I think there are settings for this in DisplayCAL, but I would like to hear from someone more knowledgeable about which settings exactlyI should be using to accomplish this.

A white balance and gamma calibration only, loaded in the VCGT with no 3DLUT color gamut corrections.

MW
    Participant

It used by default when non color managed software is used. What kind of issues did you face that made you want ro use 1DLut only?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by MW.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by MW.

SirMaster
    Participant

Well with a 3DLUT, you get posterization on many projectors.  But that’s only visible when using the 3DLUT.

If you just let the Windows profile load, and keep unchecked in madVR the disable gamma ramps option, then you get only the VGCT calibration 1DLUT which is all I wanted in the first place.

But it would be nice if I could generate a 3DLUT that is actually just a 1DLUT in the first place with only gamma and white balance corrections.  No color gamut corrections.

Are any of these options the ones I should pick?

3DLUT is XYZ LUT + matrix.

Should I instead pick Gamma + matrix if I want only a gamma and white balance calibration?  Or maybe it’s Curves + matrix?

Maybe someone can explain what each of these are?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by SirMaster.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by SirMaster.

MW
    Participant

Those options are for OSes and programs with limited color management. The only the solution I know is creating a system wide profile that uses the calibration only:https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/reply/26360/  OTOH if you are experiencing posterization that’s not supposed to happen. You should bring that up as a seperate issue.

SirMaster
    Participant

Well, the posterization is a well-known thing.  Many people over at AVSForum are getting it when making 3DLUTs for their projectors.  And happening on different projector brands and models and tech like LCoS and DLP.

I do not get it at all when making 3DLUT for LCD displays like computer monitors and TVs, so I know it’s not my config or gear etc.

I think it’s just how a projector color works when making a 3DLUT for a target gamut that is a little wider than the projector can do natively.

Though again, it doesn’t happen on the LCD displays even when I target a larger gamut for the 3DLUT than the LCD can reach.

So the .cal file is the gamma and white balance portion only huh?

MW
    Participant

It’s not clear if you tried generating a 3DLUT yourself. In that case post your profile along with a measurement report. It might be wiser than taking what people say on forums a gospel.

SirMaster
    Participant

Oh, no I am not just taking what people say.

I have been calibrating all different projectors for friends and other people near me and talking to others on AVS Forum who also have been calibrating projectors and we are all running into the same sorts of posterization  issues with our madVR 3DLUTs from DisplayCAL.

But as I said, I can do my 3DLUT process on a TV or LCD monitor and then I never get the issue, so it seems to be something with projectors from my experience.

I don’t have a 3DLUT handy at the moment that has the issue as I don’t normally keep them since they aren’t really usable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS