General question for color calibration on a Macbook M1

Home Forums Help and Support General question for color calibration on a Macbook M1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tommy86
    Participant

Hi everyone,

can someone please help me and give me instructions on how to calibrate my M1 Macbook? I tried to do it myself but I am not satisfied.
    The colors and the HDR mode look a bit weird afterwards, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I mainly want to edit images on the build-in display. How should I proceed with the settings?
    I have a Spyder 4 PRO and it runs fine on the machine.

Thanks a lot

Vincent
    Participant

Spyder4 is an inncurate device and does not supports newer macbook backlight out of the box. Closer one on the bundled modes will be widegamut LED/RGBLED (whatever name Datacolor uses).

Once you have an accurate device, take a look on other M1 threads

Tommy86
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. Which device do you think would be suitable for my case?

Vincent
    Participant

Any colorimeter in Xrite i1d3 family used with WLED PFS CCSS corection bundled with DisplayCAL (P3 green flavor for mac screens)

If you wish to give a try with Spyder select RGBLED/widegamut LED built in correction. It’s not close to actual backlight but it’s the closest one.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

matck06
    Participant

Hi,

I advise you to follow my post with the detailed settings (photo in the 1st post):

Macbook air M1 calibration

for the probe I recommend an x-rite colormunki or i1Display Studio (replacement model of the colormunki but identical sensor which is incidentally that of the excellent i1 display pro so result identical to this one)

InterrobangMP
    Participant

So what now is the recommended device for M1 Max Macbok pro’s? COnsidering the two listed above are. discontinued? Are the new versions any good? And how much money do I need to spend (ie. how high up the order do you resonably go)?

https://calibrite.com/us/product-category/edit-solutions/

Vincent
    Participant

Any of the 3 colorimeters will work, but keep in mind macbooks with XDR screen only need a white reading for reference… not full calibration. Apple uses something like NEC Multiprofiler software if you know it.
    If you plan to use the colorimeter for other monitors including those with HW calibration support then you’ll need the pro or the plus, not the first one (the cheaper).

If you buy the low cost spectrophotometer , i1Studio, do not use bundled software to measure macbook white, it can’t. 10nm reading a WLED PFS LED. Using DIsplayCAL at high res mode (3nm) it can do better.
    Anyway, I’m not a big fan of that spectrophotometer but others here may disagree.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS