General purpose. Should I buy a colorimeter?

Home Forums General Discussion General purpose. Should I buy a colorimeter?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

rdalcroft
    Participant

Just choose the calibrated options with in the monitor when watching HDR content.

your monitor has: 3 calibrated settings:

sRGB

Adobe sRGB

Display P3

These will tone down the oversaturated colours abit.

But make sure you are only using HDR mode when viewing HDR content.  Turn it off when doing notmal Desktop stuff.

This is what I do, plus it depends on the movie or content you are watching, how that is programmed to display what colours.

Watching HDR content on YouTube (very bright and saturated colours) is very different to Netflix (Much darker and more realistic).

So it depends on the content you are viewing.  Games in HDR very over saturated so I end up having to use the Presets in the minitor to clamp the colour space a bit.  Your still getting the HDR just limiting those colours when using these 3 modes.

I have the MSI Optix-MPG321QRF-QD so its similar to yours in the ODS options.

Wire
    Participant

A colorimeter and profiling is not going to help

The display is a 1000:1 panel HDR400 device with a dynamic contrast capability and 90% P3 primaries. This puts it in between sRGB and P3 color max gamut.

No mention of FALD.

I read the user guide and its pretty sparse. Here’s what I gleaned.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/monitor/Optix_MPG341QRv1.0_English.pdf

The only specific colorspace mode is sRGB. Which we should assume limits gamut to sRGB / 709 primaries.

It also has modes for USER, MOVIE, OFFICE, and ANTi-BLUE and ECO.

My guess is USER and MOVIE are scaled to P3 and clipped by panel, everything else is sRGB. Can’t be sure without testing.

The default mode is USER.

There is a separate GAME MODE menu which selects response accord to generic game genres. Ignore this.

There’s a separate HDCR option to enable HDR response. This can be used in any color mode. We should assume its a PQ tonal response so it does the right thing when Windows HDR is turned on.

There are COLOR TEMP control in a separate menu that works in any mode. It has RGB gain controls 0-100.

OK, as to pink cast, this could be a bug in any of the display, Windows or driver bug. Worth it to dig around a little. For example, maybe the display remembers different color temps for its different modes, idk. Double-check this.

MSI offers a gamer control panel that lets you adjust color temp, among other details like contrast etc. Maybe goofing around with this add-on can straighten out its HDR white behavior.

If the above leads nowhere, it sounds like you’ve already figured out how to correct white using QuickGamma.

So then there’s the matter of washed out colors.

Does Windows know you have a P3 display? If the display is running with sRGB primaries (narrowest gamut) and Windows is telling apps its P3, or worse Rec.2020, then color will be very bland.

*** Did you mess around with Windows Color settings to add a specific display profile? If so put back to “Let Windows Manage”

If you are using HDMI and Windows is sending video YCbCr-style limited range data, then contrast will be poor and colors washed out.

I can’t help with more details because can’t see what’s going on, plus I don’t know all the Windows config lore anyway… So these are just clues.

A colorimeter isn’t helpful to most of them, except that by profiling you could wind up with a display profile that’s properly identified your display’s primaries. It would also let you measure its SDR response in different modes, but this is a lot of work for uninitiated so not recommended.

As to questions of applicability of DCal profiling to HDR, this thread discusses some of the concerns…

“Profile Loader + HDR display = ?”

Profile Loader + HDR display = ?

Wire
    Participant

Millenium7
    Participant

I stopped replying last year because it seemed I finally got my answer – which is HDR really truly is a monumental cock up and an utterly stupid implementation. I believe the intention is more colours with the same bit depth, meaning same bandwidth and not bumping into limitations with i.e. HDMI cables and ports. But it just doesn’t work when you have multiple standards. As it stands with this monitor there is no ‘fix’ because everything posted assumes the monitor actually displays colour even remotely close to what it should be, and it doesn’t. It’s akin to going and buying pink cellophane and sticking it over the monitor

HDR IMO should have simply been a 40 bit colour depth, with each channel going to 1024 values instead of 256. And some kind of marker for HDR content whereby if its missing, then the intended colour value is simply multiplied by 4 so it perfectly fits in the colour space and all SDR content looks identical – since its still 256 discreet steps. But HDR content has the potential to use additional color gradients in between those steps for a full 1024 steps. Instead we end up with………… this……….. whatever this is………… and HDR is just awful and horrendously inconsistent

As for my personal situation I think its just a bad batch where the monitor’s HDR calibration was completely screwed up at the factory, yet MSI refuses to admit it (of course), so even ‘similar’ monitors probably look a lot better because they were from a different batch. As above, stick cellophane over your monitor then tell me I just need to tweak some windows settings to make it look correct, it is never going to work. I’ve just resided myself to using the closest approximation through Simple Gamma as a simple red reduction, which is good enough. A well implemented HDR game looks very good – i.e. Doom Eternal – all other content I stick with SDR and it seems from reading further online, thats the best option anyway as even with a perfectly calibrated display, HDR implementation in Windows is awful and will be ‘incorrect’ anyway

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Millenium7.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS