Gamma spike at 95% after calibrating

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma spike at 95% after calibrating

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

benjamin
    Participant

Happy new year Florian!

I’ve recently received a replacement Acer x34 monitor as I had another with quite loud annoying coil whine.

I’ve an issue with gamma showing a spike around 95%

From the measurement report :

Report attached .

What could be the cause of this?  I used the default 2.2 preset with speed set to medium.  Thanks

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by benjamin.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Gamma is just informational.

benjamin
    Participant

Gamma is just informational.

The reason I ask is when I’m playing some games, some bright parts seem overly washed out and I thought maybe the gamma was responsible.

What would be the best method to test for optimal contrast prior to calibrating? Over at Toms Hardware, the reviewer of this monitor said that the panel comes with a too high contrast setting out of the box, and recommends a drop from 50 > 44 to even out gamma.  I was wondering, if my panel is also affected, would a contrast adjustment be needed for optimal results or does calibration take this into consideration?

“The X34’s default gamma tracking chart shows the effect of an incorrectly-set contrast control. The huge dip from 50-90 percent means not only a flat-looking image but a significant loss of highlight detail. It’s rare that any monitor we test needs a contrast adjustment but this one absolutely does.”

Source – http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/acer-predator-x34-34-inch-wqhd-curved-g-sync-monitor,review-33543-5.html

I found when there’s very dark areas of my x34 screen mixed with very bright areas, that the bright areas seem to have a washed out haze to them, could this be due to a bad gamma curve?

Thankyou

benjamin
    Participant

Toms hardware mentions that a different monitor, the Asus pg348q comes with a too high contrast and recommends dropping it down 7 notches.   The thing is, the x34 and pg348q both use identical Lg panels. So I’m thinking maybe the contrast may be to blame here and does indeed need setting lower than default.

If you look at the Gamma curve here you will see the same dip that the x34 has in the gamma response :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-pg348q-34-inch-curved-g-sync-monitor,4742-4.html

Monitors uncalibrated report attached – which doesn’t show the same dip.

If you notice nothing out of the ordinary, then I’ll just live with it.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by benjamin.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by benjamin.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

benjamin
    Participant

Just to note, I’m only using 1d in games, I’m not using 3dluts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS