Fresh Spyder5 not working with DisplayCAL 3.8 on Windows 10

Home Forums General Discussion Fresh Spyder5 not working with DisplayCAL 3.8 on Windows 10

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Henk Poley
    Participant

Just a heads-up. I recently tried to use (some else’s) still fresh in box Spyder5. Got an error that it couldn’t read values.

Maybe it gets flashed with its firmware when you first register it with Spyder’s own software?  At that moment I didn’t have their software installed, but I did have the ArgylCMS windows drivers. And they were working according to device manager.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I recently tried to use (some else’s) still fresh in box Spyder5. Got an error that it couldn’t read values.

I’d need the exact error message (better: log) to determine what’s wrong.

Maybe it gets flashed with its firmware when you first register it with Spyder’s own software?

I don’t think so. I’ve used my own Spyder5 a multitude of times with either software, and as long as you don’t forget to switch to the correct driver beforehand, it just works.

DG1023
    Participant

Which driver do you have to switch to?   I just got the Spyder5 Express, ran it with the software it comes with and then downloaded DisplayCAL to run as well.  It doesn’t seem like the program is picking up the device.  The Calibrate button is grayed out as well as the 3D LUT and Verification Tabs.  Maybe it’s the driver?  Or any other suggestions?

Henk Poley
    Participant

With my otherwise working X-Rite Display 1, I used it this weekend at home on the same laptop, I get the same error as with the Spyder5 with the displays on my dock* connected. The error when clicking Calibrate & profile is:

Error - dispd->read returned error code 3

When trying to set the whitepoint with the Visual whitepoint editor, I get the follow error when opening the editor:

Dispwin: Warning - no vctg tag found in profile - assuming linearDispwin: Error - Failed to set the VideoLUT

When I then hit measure in the Visual whitepoint editor, it says the same. When I just close the editor, it says the same.

So the problem is not the Spyder5, but the the dock.

* Dock: Kensinton USB 3.0 Docking station with Dual DVI/HDMI/VGA Video sd350v.

GPU: Intel  UHD Graphics 620

Laptop: HP Probook 450 G6

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Henk Poley.

Henk Poley
    Participant

I just got the Spyder5 Express, ran it with the software it comes with and then downloaded DisplayCAL to run as well.  It doesn’t seem like the program is picking up the device.

You need to go to DisplayCal > Tools > Instrument > Install Argyll Instrument drivers

And if it still doesn’t work after a reconnect of the device, maybe uninstall Spyder’s own drivers:

Open Device manager, find the Spyder5 device (maybe under USB), hit the red X in the toolbar or rightclick and select uninstall, when select the checkbox to also uninstall the actual driver files. After that you will need to reinstall the Spyder software to use their own software again (or maybe it has a driver reinstaller, I don’t know).

Henk Poley
    Participant

The particular dock also called the Kensington USB3.0 X2 Video Dock in device manager.

It is a DisplayLink device.

Henk Poley
    Participant

Apparently DisplayLink 9.0 devices may support LUTs: https://support.displaylink.com/forums/287786-displaylink-feature-suggestions/suggestions/9480393-support-f-lux-and-night-light-on-windows

And some older ones as well (unspecified which)

Some feature specification based on the used ASIC:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/DisplayLink/DisplayLink-USB-Graphics-Driver-Utility-9-3-Alpha.shtml

DG1023
    Participant

Thank you,  I got the program to pick up the device but I’m now getting the following error:

Error – dispd -> read returned error code 3

I really appreciate your help.

DG1023
    Participant

Hello,

I’m still getting the error code 3.  When I plugged my spider into another HDMI port It switched to error code 1.  I had to reinstall Argyll Instrument drivers and switch back to the original port and then again received error code 3.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Henk Poley
    Participant

The error means (cryptically) that there is no Look-Up Table (LUT) between your graphics card and your display.

No LUT means that no change of color (calibration) be done.

So: the way you connect your display will never work with any display calibrator software. It has nothing to do with the Spyder5.

Henk Poley
    Participant

I haven’t tested anything, but this might enable very limited (gamma ramp only) calibration: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1886413-how-to-enable-night-light-or-f-lux-on-displaylink

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS