Evaluating display natively(without color management)

Home Forums Help and Support Evaluating display natively(without color management)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

WolfPeace
    Participant

Hello,

My goal is to evaluate native state of display, mainly graybalance, gamma and accuracy to sRGB or AdobeRGB.

In terms of graybalance I am interested in neutrality towards the displays real whitepoint not D65 or any other value. In terms of gamma I am only interested in seeing the gamma values.

Reading the documentation the right way to do this would be to use Verification with ticked simulation profile and Use simulation profile as target profile( this should make the verification non color managed as I intend?) and set the Tone Curve to unmodified?

What also confuses me is should I tick the “Evaluate gray balance through calibration only” ?

Regards,

Milos

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Reading the documentation the right way to do this would be to use Verification with ticked simulation profile and Use simulation profile as target profile( this should make the verification non color managed as I intend?) and set the Tone Curve to unmodified?

Correct.

What also confuses me is should I tick the “Evaluate gray balance through calibration only” ?

There won’t be any calibration in this case.

WolfPeace
    Participant

Thank you for answer Florian.

Here is a measurement I took. If i tick Evaluate gray balance through calibration only the results(errors) for Graybalance change drastically. I do not understand what is correct for evaluating native Graybalance of monitor.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by WolfPeace.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If i tick Evaluate gray balance through calibration only the results(errors) for Graybalance change drastically.

Note that “evaluate gray balance through calibration only” does not provide useful results when there is no calibration. The reason for this is that all this checkbox does when enabled, is set the a* and b * of the nominal gray (R=G=B) values to match the nominal whitepoint (neutral), and the L* to the measured value. In case of calibration being present, this then allows you to evaluate only the gray balance (i.e. only delta C and H, but not delta L) as achieved by the calibration.

I do not understand what is correct for evaluating native Graybalance of monitor.

In that case, you need to leave “evaluate gray balance through calibration only” unchecked.

WolfPeace
    Participant

Thank you for clarification.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS