Eizo CS2731 calibration help needed

Home Forums Help and Support Eizo CS2731 calibration help needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Carl S.
    Participant

Hello, I just purchased the above wide gamut monitor and have tried twice to calibrate it with DisplayCal & my Spyder 5 Pro. The results after the DisplayCal profile is installed make my monitor screen appear darker than normal. Images that I view online on various forums look much darker than my old normal gamut calibrated Dell screen. I am using Windows 10 Pro with an HDMI to HDMI connection to my MSI laptop. It has two graphics cards (nvidia GTX 960M and Intel (R) HD Graphics 530). I noticed the first time I tried calibration that the Interactive Display adjustment RGB bars were somewhat off. I attached a screenshot of those. And when I tried to adjust the monitor controls to bring the RGB bars to the center point it had very little effect. And I noticed a warning signal that would flash every once in a while that said  that the Spyder measuring refresh rate failed. I don’t know if that is important or not. I have also attached screen shots of  my “Display & Instrument settings”, “Calibration settings” and “Profiling settings” that I used to create the profile. The profile was installed and is loaded on login.  I have not done any hardware calibration with Eizo’s Color navigator 7 software, have not even installed it on my laptop.  My monitor settings were as follows Color Mode: Adobe RGB, Brightness: 120cd/m, Temp: 6500K, Gamma: 2.2, Color Gamut: Adobe RGB, Gamut Clipping: is “Off”.  No other adjustments were made on the monitor. I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone can give. Please try not to get too technical with any responses as I have just a basic knowledge of DisplayCal. Thank you very much.               P.S. I hope the screenshots uploaded as I have never attached anything in the forum before.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Carl S.
    Participant

Can someone please quickly explain  how to attach multiple screenshots for my post. Using the shift or ctrl key to select multiple screenshots does not seem to work here?  I have (3) other screenshots I need to upload for this post. Thank you.

Vincent
    Participant

-Sell Spyder, mostly useless. You cannot trust its readings. Get an i1DisplayPro. Anyway if you still want to use that innacurte spyder use RGBLED mode which is the closest one provided by Datacolor.

-Calibrate display using HW calibration Color Navigation and i1DisplayPro

-Validate results using DisplayCAL and maybe GB-LED colorimeter correction but I’m not sure. Check displaycal colorimeter dabatase, plot CCSS correction of CS2731 if available (not CCMX, CCSS) and look if it matches spectral porwer distribution of U2413 CCSS bundled with DisplayCAL

If you wish to use DisplayCAL to do a GPU calibration (which is a waste for such HW):
    -Configure device tab with proper colorimeter correction, explained previously
    -calibration tab to D65 white, 2.2g
    -profile type single curve + matrix, black point compensation ON
    -calibrate & profile.

Get an i1displaypro

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Carl S.
    Participant

-Sell Spyder, mostly useless. You cannot trust its readings. Get an i1DisplayPro. Anyway if you still want to use that innacurte spyder use RGBLED mode which is the closest one provided by Datacolor.

-Calibrate display using HW calibration Color Navigation and i1DisplayPro

-Validate results using DisplayCAL and maybe GB-LED colorimeter correction but I’m not sure. Check displaycal colorimeter dabatase, plot CCSS correction of CS2731 if available (not CCMX, CCSS) and look if it matches spectral porwer distribution of U2413 CCSS bundled with DisplayCAL

If you wish to use DisplayCAL to do a GPU calibration (which is a waste for such HW):
    -Configure device tab with proper colorimeter correction, explained previously
    -calibration tab to D65 white, 2.2g
    -profile type single curve + matrix, black point compensation ON
    -calibrate & profile.

Get an i1displaypro

Thank you for your response. I will eventually pick up an i1displaypro when they have a sale but I am trying to keep things simple so should I just do a HW calibration with Color Navigator 7 and forget about using DisplayCal for this CS2731 monitor? Can you please tell me if I would have to uninstall DisplayCal before installing Color Navigator?  I would like to keep DisplayCal installed if possible as I can still use it with my older Dell monitor.

Vincent
    Participant

DisplayCAL is a very useful software but cannot write internal monitor LUT of that display or others. They use propirtary SDK libraries to upload calibration to USB not available to general public, just for vendor dev temap & partners.
    You pay a CS because of uniformity (you have it) and HW calibration (you don’t)

If you do 1D GPU calibration using DisplayCAL, i1Profiler or Datacolor software it will use GPU LUTs to correct grey. In your system is extremely likely to cause banding becaus of GPU HW (intel iGPU+ old nvidia).

So better use Color Navigator.

Regarding conflicts:
    -uninstall ArgyllUSB driver fro Spyder. When you get i1DisplayPro it won’t be needed aven if you chose to use DisplayCAL and not Color navigator. i1d3 do not need argyll usb driver, they are like computer mice (a HID).
    -Remove DisplayCAL GPU calibration loader from Start or Task Scheduler

Thats all. You can use Color navigation to calibrate, then you can use DisplayCAL to validate or make LUT3D or better detailed profiles (withput GPU calibration).
    You can do the same right now with Spyder, but white pint accuracy is not granted and you may need to Switch drivers in device manager as explained in ArgyllCMS doc because Spyder need to use that USB driver. Datacolor driver dor CN, Argyll driver for DisplayCAL.

Carl S.
    Participant

Thanks so much Vincent for all of that valuable information you provided.

Carl S.
    Participant

DisplayCAL is a very useful software but cannot write internal monitor LUT of that display or others. They use propirtary SDK libraries to upload calibration to USB not available to general public, just for vendor dev temap & partners.
    You pay a CS because of uniformity (you have it) and HW calibration (you don’t)

If you do 1D GPU calibration using DisplayCAL, i1Profiler or Datacolor software it will use GPU LUTs to correct grey. In your system is extremely likely to cause banding becaus of GPU HW (intel iGPU+ old nvidia).

So better use Color Navigator.

Regarding conflicts:
    -uninstall ArgyllUSB driver fro Spyder. When you get i1DisplayPro it won’t be needed aven if you chose to use DisplayCAL and not Color navigator. i1d3 do not need argyll usb driver, they are like computer mice (a HID).
    -Remove DisplayCAL GPU calibration loader from Start or Task Scheduler

Thats all. You can use Color navigation to calibrate, then you can use DisplayCAL to validate or make LUT3D or better detailed profiles (withput GPU calibration).
    You can do the same right now with Spyder, but white pint accuracy is not granted and you may need to Switch drivers in device manager as explained in ArgyllCMS doc because Spyder need to use that USB driver. Datacolor driver dor CN, Argyll driver for DisplayCAL.

Vincent, sorry to bother you again but wanted to ask one more thing. I did a hardware calibration of my CS2731 with my Spyder 5 as we discussed. I chose the Spyder 5 driver in the device manager so I did not have to uninstall Argyll driver. Can you explain to me how I can check or validate the HW profile in DisplayCal? I looked for a CCSS correction for CS2731 and Spyder 5 in the database as you mentioned and it only has that for i1displaypro. I don’t really understand how to validate or check the profile anyway. Don’t know what to look for either, can you help please with a step by step process?  Do I need to use the Spyder 5 to do this and if yes, do I need to choose the Argyll driver again in device manager? Thank you.

Vincent
    Participant

-go back to argyll driver (you are going to be switching drivers ina regular way if using CN+ ArgyllCMS + Spyder)
    -Displaycal, Device tab. If want to use Datacolor correction, choose RGB LED in upper right combo (it’s wrong but it’s all you have), if want o use a user made / i1d3 choose a GB-LED CCSS (typical U2413 correction bundled for i1d3) in middle combo “correction”. Do not use ccmx even if you have an i1d3 unless you habe made it by yourself.
    -DisplayCAL, Measurement report, all simulation unchecked, make measurement report

-Plan to buy an i1dispalypro

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS