Eizo CS2730

Home Forums Help and Support Eizo CS2730

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Participant

I’ve tried everything to do a verification test with this monitor.  The uniformity tests are outstanding with any Spectral correction!  I have an i1DisplayPro Colorimeter and used Color Navgator to calibrate the display.  The computer uses an HD7870 video card with 2gigs memory.  This video card has a setting for color temperature either automatic or temp can be set manually.  The Eizo passes the verification test if the card is set manually to 6500K.  If it is set to automatic the monitor fails.  There is a definite difference in color between automatic and manual control.  Over at the AMD website a tech said in automatic the card color temperature is controlled by the monitor calibration in manual the card will stay where ever the color temperature is set.    So should I leave the video card in manual mode set to 6500K and calibrate the monitor?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This video card has a setting for color temperature either automatic or temp can be set manually.

Do not set the color temperature, RGB gains or other color related options via the graphics driver – this will usually overwrite the videoLUT (calibration will be lost).

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Florian!

I still can’t get a good verification test unless the card is set to manual at D65.  I’ve used spectral corrections for GB-LED, RB-LED, WLED  including the CS270 and CS2420 corrections.   As I mentioned the uniformity tests are stellar.   It’s not the monitor because the prints are perfect coming form my Epson P800 with the card set to automatic or manual.   Color Navigator validation is also perfect.  Your Thoughts?

Here’s an answer from the AMD Support forum:

When you just want to use the EDID and see the monitor without AMD software color correction, you want to set it to Automatic. Automatic is what your looking for , but keep in mind this has no affect on how photo’s are edited or printed, that falls under custom ICM profiles and windows color managment.

Sounds like your wanting to edit for correct color tones, but unless you have a top monitor to compare yours to, i would just trust the monitors calibration software, and leave it at automatic. AMD color correction would be used for montiors that have no software .

Keep in mind though, not many monitors are good enough to use Automatic and you might start to notice off-colors, but this wil never reflect on photoshop editing, what might look dark on yours, when posted online and seen on another monitor will look correct.

Using Automatic is seeing the monitor for what it really is, most monitors will still need the overlay provided by AMD to get color tones closer to what they should be.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, I do not own AMD hardware, but what their support said seems reasonable.

Chris
    Participant

Hi Florian

After many hours of experimenting the best spetral correction for this monitor is the GBr-LED.  However the video card temperature setting must be set to manual and 6500K.  I’ve attached two measurement files, one withe the card in automatic and the other in manual set to 6500K (white and black point compensation).  When checking the screen uniformity the automatic or manual setting doesn’t matter.

This is from the Color Navigator Manual:

Video Card Gamma:

The data used to correct the signal output from the computer. Software calibration corrects the monitor by using the video card gamma. Because ColorNavigator does not use video card gamma, if the video card gamma has been changed by other software, the adjustment result may not be refected correctly.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

From the reports it looks like you have used the same profile. Note that a profile will only be correct for the exact same settings (monitor and any AMD color-related) that were in use when the profile was created,

Chris
    Participant

Hi Florian

I’ve been using DisplayCal to try to verify an icc profile created with Color Navigator which is going to cause errors.  CN calibrates the monitor hardware and doesn’t use the video card gamma.  So I should calibrate using DisplayCal and test the results.  I think this is one of my eureka moments!

Your thoughts?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve been using DisplayCal to try to verify an icc profile created with Color Navigator which is going to cause errors.

It’s no problem to verify 3rd party profiles as long as they are ICCv2 profiles not v4 (trying to verify a v4 profile should result in an appropriate error message). But the same settings (monitor/graphics card) need to be used as when the profile was originally created.

Chris
    Participant

Hi Florian

The icc versions in the Color Navigator are 2.2 and 4.2.  If the icc version isn’t 2.0 is that a problem for DisPlayCal?

Thanks for all the info!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If the icc version isn’t 2.0 is that a problem for DisPlayCal?

ICCv4 is not supported.

Chris
    Participant

Thank You Florian

The question should have read:  Is the Color Navigator icc version 2.2 going to work with DisplayCal since it isn’t v2.0?

Do I understand that the monitor can be calibrated with Color Navigator then profiled with DisplayCal for more accurate color? (depends on icc v2.2 being compatible of course)  Or is the GPU Re-Calibration the thing to do?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is the Color Navigator icc version 2.2 going to work with DisplayCal since it isn’t v2.0?

Yes.

Do I understand that the monitor can be calibrated with Color Navigator then profiled with DisplayCal for more accurate color?

Yes.

pharaday
    Participant

Hello Chris,

reset your graphic card setting and try so set “Compensation table” in Colornavigator (Preferences > Measurement Device) to “No Compensation” and calibrate with CN again.
    Then try to verify in DisplayCal (No Correction, Mode: LCD generic (I have a Spyder 5) ).

After profiling with DisplayCal i’ve got pretty decent values (average delta 0.18, see report)
    My blacks (#2/#3) are still a little bit “off” – but I don’t know yet how to compensate this.

Maybe this helps. Color Navigator drives me really crazy with my new CS2730.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by pharaday.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris
    Participant

Hi pharaday

Thanks much for this it really made a difference.  DisplayCal now is in agreement with Color Navigator.  The setting in Color Navigator makes a lot of sense after reading the user manual which states for the NC setting:

“For other company’s monitor validation tool.The sensor measurement value is used as it is.Wide gamut monitors may not be measured correctly depending on your measurement device.”

I take that to mean if the colorometer is not Eizo’s.  At any rate DisplayCal is now reading the color temp correctly as are all the other stats.

Thanks again for helping and I hope anyone else with the Eizo CS2730 reads this before driving themselves crazy as I have!

Chris
    Participant

Hi Pharaday

Just wanted to add, haven’t done this yet myself, maybe checking the wht and blk level drift boxes in DisplayCal could help.  Or just a manual adjustment in Color Navigator.  I’m going to experiment with these settings.  However the results with the verification test show how good this monitor is compared with the BenQ sw2700pt which I sold to get the Eizo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS