Do I use 16-235 or 0-255

Home Forums Help and Support Do I use 16-235 or 0-255

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

I have a displayport to hdmi adapter which seems to only allow 16-235 (4K 60hz).  If I am using this adapter, should I set displaycal to calibrate for 16-235 instead of 0-255 ?

Would calibrating/profiling under 16-235 affect other applications which are not aware that it’s using -limited- ?

I can’t switch to full with this adapter attached.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Use whichever your display expects as input. Note that you set output levels in your graphics card control panel, and the DisplayCAL output levels option should normally always be set to either “auto” or “full range 0-255” (only use the latter if you are absolutely sure your graphics driver is not buggy). Output range “16-235” in DisplayCAL is only for buggy graphics drivers that send the wrong (full) range to a display expecting limited range without a possibility to override in the graphics card control panel.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Indeed the whole setup is buggy. I just tried it, and testing with madvr, it will blink in and out of grey-blacks.

Either this adapter is just wrong, or the TV in conjunction with the adapter causes the bork.

I don’t have the option to change to full range, it’s not in my gpu menu when the adapter is connected, only if I use hdmi direct, but the gpu is hdmi 1.4, it does not support 4k60.

Florian, have you used dispt to hdmi 2.0 adapters before, any luck with these dongles ? I didn’t want to scrap this GPU as I didn’t want to make more e-waste. Them telling us Earth is on fire and all.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I don’t think the GPU is to blame. Seems like the adapter does not work as advertised.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS