Do I need disable automatic dimming for OLED in daily use?

Home Forums Help and Support Do I need disable automatic dimming for OLED in daily use?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

I’ve read that it need disable automatic dimming OLED display for calibration. But how about on daily use? Do I need to enable it to keep the lifespan of OLED and disable it again on color precision usage? How about enable or disable it all the time?

Vincent
    Participant

You need to disable ABL because otherwise display will not behave in the same way with the same color input at certain color square, since it will depend on squerae szie & brightness. If it does not behave in the same way, then profile wont be accurate (it dioes not describe accurately display behavior in such scenarios) and color management chain breaks (even if not color managed  with assumed sRGB/Rec709 content).

So can you enable ABL?, yes, but calibration & profile won’t be accurate if ABL kicks in.
    Another option is to lower max brightness so ABL does not kick in. Easy to evaluate: try white patch readings at several square size and at several bightness on display, once it is low enough (~100nit?) ABL should not kick in… but ABL policy & trigger values are vendor specific so no general rule.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

So can you enable ABL?, yes, but calibration & profile won’t be accurate if ABL kicks in.

Okay Vincent, I understand that. For calibrate to be accurately I need to disable ABL during calibration process. But how about after I finish calibrate and also already verify result that have good result? In daily use for example: Photo edit, review photo etc. do I need keep disable ABL?

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Using ABL  defeats the whole purpose of display calibration.

As the brightness level changes, so do the colors.

Prapan Chulapinyo
    Participant

Yes I think so, it make sense. Thank Kubo. I think I need to disable it all the time then.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS