DisplayCAL verification for dummies

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL verification for dummies

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

lineweight
    Participant

Copy autogenerated ICC to another folder, and maybe rename if it has a weird hexadecimal name.

Another way is File / Generate ICC from Extended display data (EDID), but that way ICC will be created from monitor data while Apple generated ICC may have a “forged” TRC chosen by apple (not the same as TRC reported by EDID ). You can use DisplayCAL profile info to inspect that mismatch.

I actually already tried copying the autogenerated ICC to another folder … but it didn’t help.

It does have a hexadecimal name, and I just tried changing it now, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference (although it seemed to cause some funny behaviour in DisplayCAL when I loaded it).

Generate from EDID is greyed out in the file menu for me … but I will investigate that further.

lineweight
    Participant

Well, i can’t seem to work out how to make “generate from EDID” work for me – it seems to be permanently greyed out in the “file” menu. Can anyone help?

Vincent
    Participant

Seens a macos DisplayCAL version limitation, just checked with latest & Monterey.

Borrow some Windows laptop and create it, then copy it to macos.

Maybe with a Linux bootable USB with ArgyllCMS + DisplayCAL installed you can do it in your mac, just booting that live USB, but IDNK which Linux distribution has all that stuff installed by default. Maybe other Linux users may help you better.

lineweight
    Participant

Seens a macos DisplayCAL version limitation, just checked with latest & Monterey.

Borrow some Windows laptop and create it, then copy it to macos.

Maybe with a Linux bootable USB with ArgyllCMS + DisplayCAL installed you can do it in your mac, just booting that live USB, but IDNK which Linux distribution has all that stuff installed by default. Maybe other Linux users may help you better.

Thanks for checking. I think that all sounds a bit too involved for me, so I’ll just have to accept it’s not possible. It was mainly just a matter of interest, to see how much the display was changed from its default state, when calibrated. At least I am able to use it to look at how calibrations/profiles from other software compares to the displayCAL results.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS