DisplayCAL using wrong resolutions. A problem?

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL using wrong resolutions. A problem?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Michael Linder
    Participant

I’m using three monitors, a 4K 10-bit 3840 x 2160 flanked on either side by 1920 x 1080 8-bit monitors. However, DisplayCAL lists both of the 1080s as 2880 x 1620s, even though Windows 10 and Nvidia’s control panel accurately sees them as 1080s. All three monitors are fed by two Nvidia GTX 1080 GPUs in SLI config.

Just curious. I can’t seem to be able to change the resolution settings of these monitors in DisplayCAL or Argyl, but does that negatively affect calibrations? Are my calibrations off because of misread resolution?

Thanks, and keep up the great work. DisplayCAL is a gem!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the GUI toolkit I’m using doesn’t support individual scaling settings under Windows (and probably won’t for a long time). Depending on which display Windows considers the “master”, this may result in the GUI becoming a little blurry (and showing the logical, not physical resolution of the display). In your case, it seems Windows considers the 4K display the main one, so I assume there is no blurriness. This is the only effect it’ll have though, it doesn’t affect calibration and profiling.

If you’re bothered by this, you can set identical scaling settings for all displays, but this’ll likely make things too small on the 4K display.

Michael Linder
    Participant

You’re right — with WIndows reading my 4K  screen as the master, crispness on the 1080s doesn’t seem to be an issue. I’m relieved that resolution has no impact on calibration and profiling, my main concern. I suspect I’m not alone, having a hybrid mix of resolutions and bit depths. It’s an upgrading game until it’s practical to have a three identical 4Ks working in tandem. I’m grateful that DisplayCAL can handle it mix in the meantime.

Cheers,
    Michael

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS