DisplayCAL-calibrated EA243WM has pink cast vs Spectraview calibrated PA271W

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL-calibrated EA243WM has pink cast vs Spectraview calibrated PA271W

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Eric
    Participant

I have a NEC PA271W calibrated to sRGB using Spectraview II + i1 Display Pro.

I was able to check that the calibration was accurate by running DisplayCAL’s verification function using sRGB IEC61966-2.1.icc as both simulation and target profile. So now I am quite confident what the D65 whitepoint looks like.

Now, I proceeded to calibrate a NEC EA243WM (a TN WhiteLED LCD screen) with exactly the same target settings (now using DisplayCAL + i1 Display Pro ). However, after calibration, while scoring excellent as per DisplayCAL’s post-calibration and sRGB verification reports, the screen ends up with a subtle pink cast all over once the ICC profile is installed. Curiously, it was only when I reset the video card gamma table to linear (via the DisplayCAL profile loader) did the pink cast disappear, making the colors on the EA243WM track more closely the PA271W’s.

I understand that proper usage of DisplayCAL assumes loading the calibration curves of the ICC profile into the video card’s gamma table. So, treating this total result as DisplayCAL’s final calibration, it seems that DisplayCAL’s calibration is too pink.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix this? Thank you

P.S. I tried both VGA and HDMI connections but both will yield the same pink cast.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

it is important that you choose the same correction and white point target for your i1 Display Pro in both programs for matching white balance.

Eric
    Participant

Hello Florian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve setup the configuration for both monitors to 6504K, 65 cd/m^2 and Gamma 2.2.

Anyway, after much experimentation with various calibration settings, I’ve come to the conclusion that enforcing a gamma of 2.2 (video card LUT) is too much for the monitor to take, resulting in the pink cast.

I guess I’ll just have to resign to the fact that the EA243WM isn’t a very good monitor (profiling it at its native state against sRGB showed some weird characteristics, ex. only full white was 6500K, with remaining intensity levels all at 7000K). Besides, using X-Rite’s i1Profiler with the same settings results in exactly the same pink cast.

The only way around the pink cast was to leave the tone curve alone in its native state (“As measured” tone curve not possible with i1Profiler).  Personally, I find inferior gray balance and gamma in Windows GUI to be more tolerable than an ever-present pink cast in photos.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In case you want to match the EA243WM’s white to the PA271W, there’s also the visual whitepoint editor.

Nick Lindridge
    Participant

There are spectral/matrix corrections file for the i1 with an EA234WMi, which is similar to yours though an IPS rather than TN panel. Some corrections in the database are wrong (such as one of the two for a Dell 2716), but might be worth trying the matrix one none the less.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Some corrections in the database are wrong (such as one of the two for a Dell 2716)

If you tell me which one and what’s wrong with it, I can remove it.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Some corrections in the database are wrong (such as one of the two for a Dell 2716)

If you tell me which one and what’s wrong with it, I can remove it.

Hi,

I wanted to ask about the online correction database after the latest changelog in displaycal, are the corrections reliable, or it is better to use the ones imported from the x-rite software?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Nick Lindridge
    Participant

It’s the one for UP2716D dated 2016-04-13 10:34:45. It has a very visible red tint to the calibrations.

I noticed there’s a new spectral one too and tried that out of interest. It gives a calibration very close to the other matrix one (2016-04-09) that I’ve been using, which is reassuring, though the spectral one is slightly warmer on a grey scale.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s the one for UP2716D dated 2016-04-13 10:34:45. It has a very visible red tint to the calibrations.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s faulty. The i1D3 has better inter-instrument agreement than other consumer-grade colorimeters, but it is by no means perfect. And considering manufacturing variations of the display as well, the matrix may well be a good match for that one particular combination of instrument + display that it was created from.

S Simeonov
    Participant

It’s the one for UP2716D dated 2016-04-13 10:34:45. It has a very visible red tint to the calibrations.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s faulty. The i1D3 has better inter-instrument agreement than other consumer-grade colorimeters, but it is by no means perfect. And considering manufacturing variations of the display as well, the matrix may well be a good match for that one particular combination of instrument + display that it was created from.

So in general, should we use the corrections from the online database, or we should stick with the spectral ones?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So in general, should we use the corrections from the online database, or we should stick with the spectral ones?

If you have an i1D3, the X-Rite generic spectral corrections are possibly preferable unless you have created a correction yourself. The online database can be useful though if you can’t get good results with one of the generic corrections and there is a user-contributed correction for your display, although ultimately, the only way to judge a correction is to have a higher accuracy instrument (= spectro) to check against.

S Simeonov
    Participant

If you have an i1D3, the X-Rite generic spectral corrections are possibly preferable unless you have created a correction yourself. The online database can be useful though if you can’t get good results with one of the generic corrections and there is a user-contributed correction for your display, although ultimately, the only way to judge a correction is to have a higher accuracy instrument (= spectro) to check against.

I’m using colormunki display.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Eric
    Participant

It appears that the OP was experiencing metameric mismatch between the standard gamut EA243WM and the wide-gamut PA271W. NEC actually addresses this phenomenon thru an option in its Multiprofiler software called “Metamerism correction” which in NEC’s words, “improves the white point color matching when the display is used side-by-side with a standard gamut display monitor”.

Many users report a resultant shift from green cast to magenta cast when Metamerism correction is turned on:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=81442.0

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=86793.0

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Eric.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS