DisplayCAL ICC Color Profile make the Mac Pro 2019 is SUPER SLOW!

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL ICC Color Profile make the Mac Pro 2019 is SUPER SLOW!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Penn
    Participant

I’m using Mac OS 10.15.3, and I use DisplayCAL and Colormunki Photo to Calibrate my Monitor and Create ICC for my Monitor.

In DisplayCAL I select a Testchart with 4954 colors(not sure whether the color number will be a problem)

It is so wired if I use that ICC to start up the MAC, After the login page, the mac will become SUPER slow, take few mins to load all the app, and run Chrome super slow, Even changing the chrome tab will take 2-3 secs. The scrolling and typing are almost impossible.

BUT If I activate the default ICC or other ICC create by other software, the speed will become normal again!

Even later I click back to that DisplayCAL ICC will still normal.

JUST CAN NOT BOOT WITH ICC created by DisplayCAL.

I have attached screenshot ICC info

left-hand side created by i1 Studio(default software) and Right-hand side by DisplayCAL

I have also attached the ICC, does anyone know why is this? thanks a lot

is there any setting I set it wrong?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Penn.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Penn.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Profile looks fine. Try calibrating to native (“As measured”) whitepoint. Also, I would not recommend installing profiles system-wide on single user systems.

Penn
    Participant

Will try it again with native (“As measured”) white point. and see how it goes

as to system-wide, I have created the profile as system-wide at the end of the calibration process, but I reinstall the system, but have backup the icc file, then  on a new system, I only copy file to MacHD/User/Username/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

Is this consider as system-wide?

Penn
    Participant

I have tried all those two settings, save for single user, and As measured whitepoint, the problem remains.

I can even easily feel a short freeze when clicking on DisplayCAL ICC.

is it because of DisplayCAL using v2 ICC?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I only copy file to MacHD/User/Username/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

Is this consider as system-wide?

No, that is your user folder.

is it because of DisplayCAL using v2 ICC?

It has nothing to do with v2 or v4. Something seems to be amiss on your system. Did you calibrate to native whitepoint? Set white level to “as measured” as well.

Penn
    Participant

I have tried different settings.

Tried both  778 and 4954 test chart.

also whitepoint, whitelevel all set “as measured“

found that  whitepoint, whitelevel all set “as measured“ make no different.

but change the test chart to 778 will make it a bit faster, but still abnormally slow especially when using Chrome. (other app will also laggy, but chrome are more obvious)

After restarting the Mac, Launch the Chrome, then click different tabs, will have 1-2 secs delay.  when using 4954 test chart will have even longer delay will be almost unusable.

I have Records a video. in the video, I use the 778 test chart icc, I click the mouse instantly once the tab change(will have delay when using DisplayCAL icc). You can see how much speed different when I using other app generated icc and DisplayCal generated icc.

http://bit.ly/2H3BQAv

but wired thing is that when I click on 3-4 different ICC then click back to DisplayCAL generated ICC will back to normal speed, but just cannot boot with DisplayCAL generated icc

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Use defaults.

Penn
    Participant

I tried all methods, just profiles created by Display CAL will causing the issue. sometimes  I click on 3-4 different ICC then click back to DisplayCAL generated ICC still have the same issue.

What is the main difference between the ICC created by DisplayCAL and i1Studio or Monitor Default ICC?

What I can see from the ICC info are the V2 and V4. Is it possible to Generate V4 ICC from DisplayCAL? thanks a lot

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What is the main difference between the ICC created by DisplayCAL and i1Studio or Monitor Default ICC?

The profile created from actual measurements contains calibration. Canned profiles do not.

tomnovy
    Participant

I have the same issue on my iMac and MacBook pro.  As soon as I apply DisplayCal profile – everything, especially Chrome gets extremely slow. I have followed all instructions in this post – no change :{

Penn
    Participant

Hi Tom which  Mac OS version are you using?

tomnovy
    Participant

Latest version of Catalina – 10.15.4

tomnovy
    Participant

I have also tested this on my hackintosh and it is the same issue – same version of MacOS

tomnovy
    Participant

To give you more information:

My MacBook Pro – it is the first version with the touch display strip.

My Hackintosh is connected to a Dell UP2718Q.  Graphics card is AMD Sapphire 5800XT

Calibrating unit – i1Studio.

I have tried different calibrating modes in DisplayCal – still no success.  Really really slow performance when using any colour profiles from DisplayCal – on both devices.

Vincent
    Participant

-Make v2 profile with Xrite software as you did, but ICC V2. Attach it here

-Attach the profile generated with DIsplayCAL and default settings (GB-LED correction for U3014 if you are using a color munki colorimeter, IDNK whcih one uses 27″ UHD)

They open them with displaycal profile info. This way you/we can see if you made them in the same way. In other words, did you really make it as WP/luminnace as measured? is it a matrix profile or a LUT/table one? Is it using equal TRC curves? is it using actual grey luminance for TRC?
    This way you/we can infer why the faulty color management engine from Apple or Chrome (bugs, oversimplifications) is performing poorly when you use some kind of profile types.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS