Display for dummies

Home Forums Help and Support Display for dummies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Marko82
    Participant

Hello, my name’s marco and I’ m from italy. Sorry in advanced for my poor english.

I own by several years an eizo sw2232 and a colormunky photo

In the past years I calibrated that on dispcalgui or basiccolor and right now I have tried displaycal and a huge thanx to the developers for let argyll system suitable from “dummies” too.

My PC has an Nvidia 3060ti GPU and i would like to use the plus of 10BIT monitor on photoshop.

From some weeks I am thinking about upgrade my display with a 100% AdobeRGB, 4K with an i ternal LUT .

32″ are at the moment too much expensive, asus pro art  seems really rubbish so i tought to buy a wiewsonic VP2785 or waiting for the new VP2786 but i read on this forum it has a really bad uniformity and like what happens with Benq display it is not possible to do a hardware calibration by displaycal.

Eizo cs2740 cover just 91% of DCIP3 and it could be a limit because I would like to start with 4K videoediting as well as photography…EIZO does not have a 3D LUT but surely has a better quality control out from the factory and a good(great?)uniformity that seems the main criticity afflicting IPS panel.

My Colormunky photo is compatible  with Eizo software and if I am mot wrong could be HW calibrated even with displaycal.

I would really like to buy an affirdable 32″ like asus pa329c or benq 321c but I’d like to do a long time investiment so please, could you help me to clarify my mind?

Regards

Marko82
    Participant

PS

adding about 200 euros I could take the CG2730 ..wider gamut  trueblack poparized film, hood, integrated  sensor..is it worth to go with that instead of cs series for so lottle extra cost? the fact that it went out of production to make way for the 2700s must make me desist from buying?

Marko82
    Participant

PS2

(Sorry I am not able to edit my post) the cg2730 has lower resolution and lower PPI so just 2740 would be papable..somewhere o read that there’ s also a 2740 X dedicated to video creator but on eizo website it actually does not exist..2700X would be what vp2786 will offer for less than half the price..

Vincent
    Participant

cs2740 -> internal calibration with LUT matrix LUT. it assumes some kind of ideal gamut volume behavior , but it can simulate internally sRGB, AdobeRGB… etc or leave it at native gamut, then use LUT3D with software like reoslve.
    CG2730 -> same but higher contrast, 2x (actual CS2740 contrast is about 700-800:1)

SW321C -> garbage, bad calibration software, bad HW (600:1 contrast)
    pa329c  -> garbage, bad calibration software, bad HW (uniformity)
    VP2786  -> IDNK, their AdobeRGB widegamuts had very low quality regarding uniformity… but statistics somtigies give you a surprise

Non eizo alternatives PA32UCG, UP2720Q but don’t expect  same software features as with color navigator.

Also your munki photo is not a very reliable device for newer displays like those using WLED PFS backlight, even using ArgyllCMS. Plan to add an i1DisplayPro as a complement to your gear (create colorimeter corrections ast 3nm). Your munki photo will be too slow when creating LUT3D from huge patch set.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Marko82
    Participant

thank you very much for your very clarifying post UP2720Q looks very interesting … halfway between CL and CG EIZO, right?

I can not find on the specs  which kind of internal LUT?

Pros and cons of Dell apart from Eizo software? I read it’ s the first professional display dei make.

Actually this DELL sounds too good to be true acording to the specs!

The really last neeb question:

since I cannot modify the LUT with any non-proprietary softwares such as displeycal can I adopt a “software calibration” on my use my nvidia 3060ti , instead of a hardware one?

In that case it would be worth using my colormunky photo + displeycal / argyll or the DELL included probe?

Marko82
    Participant

Ops…I just noticed “Hardware Calibration via Built-in Colorimeter”…so what about an external calibrator like colormunky photo used  with display call to make a software cal instead of  LUT calibrated by an internal probe?

Vincent
    Participant

AFAIK UP2720Q is lut-matrix… but who knows.

you can run HW cal on any of these, then validate results on DisplayCAL.

Marko82
    Participant

Vincent. I am waiting for the shipment of dell  UP2720Q You reccomand me but reading some things I am a bit scared..it seems like the only way to have a LUT calibration is to BUY! Calman software. it is not clear if is it included in boundle with display in Hone version  with some limitated features or if does it need to a separate buyng and if yes how much is it and what would allow to pay extra(maybe automatic  calibration with internal probe?) … colormunky photo seems compatible with software but I really do not want to pay an extra just to calibrate the display LUT and made completely useless the internal colorimeter.

Dell and calman  do not answered

marco

Vincent
    Participant

Dell should be able to use its bult in colorimeter to write internal calibration using Dell software. Go to Dell downloads and look for its calibration software.
    Also it is not my recomendation, its an alternative.

If you wish to use your munki photo fro calibration… it is not advised even if you buy an Eizo CG319X. Ypur measurement devoce is not up to the task due its low resolution (10nm) using Xrite SDK. All new displays with WLED PFS may be difficut to measure accurately with these low resolution spectrophotometers.

Asus PA32UCG is a QLED so even with a 10nm spectrophotometer like your munki photo it should be easy to measure (small error due to low 10nm resolution).
    IDNK if asus has internal calibration.

This autumn CG2700X should be in stores, built in colorimeter, UHD, superb uniformity, 1500:1 but pricey, maybe 2000-2500euro.

Marko82
    Participant

Hi, you already told me that the colormunky photo might be too “slow” for the modern LUT calibration and panel technology BUT what I’m asking is:

If the Calman and Dell software put the colormunky photo on their list of compatible software, I suppose it “should” be fine, but I don’t know if an outdated device like mine could provide a totally inaccurate measurement (in which case I should have warned  isn’t it?) or a minor error that could compromise the overall accuracy of the calibration compared to what a modern spectrophotometer could do without realizing it.

I have seen the new eizo cg2700X sounds amazing but the price of the 2K version (2700S)is ish 2500 euros so the 4K version will certainly cost over 3000EUR as a first retail price and it is definitely too much ..Dell would seems better than the CL2040 … in short, it seems to me an excellent alternative (and I would perhaps save the price of a new probe if colormunky works fine for the validation profile obtained with the internal colorimeter)

Vincent
    Participant

If the Calman and Dell software put the colormunky photo on their list of compatible software, I suppose it “should” be fine, but I don’t know if an outdated device like mine could provide a totally inaccurate measurement (in which case I should have warned  isn’t it?) or a minor error that could compromise the overall accuracy of the calibration compared to what a modern spectrophotometer could do without realizing it.

No, even brand new i1Pro3 NIST certified won’t be able to measure properly a WLED PFS using Xrite SDK (10nm). ArgyllCMS driver can improve to 3nm yours for white porint readings or to make a CCSS (spectral) or CCMX (matrix) correction for a colorimeter.

The issue is in the low resolution of Xrite spectrophotometers for graphic arts. They may be good for printer profiling (excluding UV limitations on yours) but they are not enough for spectral power distribution with very narrow spikes like WLED PFS or laser home projectors.

A QLED or an older GB-LED may be read at 10nm (your device) because their spectral spikes are more broad although using 3nm reading they may improve 2-3dE in WP for some backlights.

Plot the spectral power distribution stored in a CCSS for some sample WLED PFS like CS2731 from comunity (3nm), then compare it to 1nm in bundled i1d3 corrections (HP Z24x G2 or Panasonic VVX). Then try to guess how it will look at 10nm and how much information will be lost.

TL;DR

WLED PFS backlight + Xrite spectrophotometers using Xrite SDK (vendor software, Calman…) = bad deal
    WLED PFS backlight + Xrite spectrophotometers using ArgyllCMS driver at 3nm = not ideal but good for making colorimeter corrections.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Marko82
    Participant

hello Vincent

would a “Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus ” be a good instrument to calibrate as well internal lut or software monitor on display like dell UP2720q or eizo CS2740. in the future the “plus” version should allow me to calibrate HDR display

do you think would it be a good investment or is that going to be “obsolescent” soon, like my colormunki photo done?

Vincent
    Participant

It’s an i1DisplayPro certified to higher brigthness. AFAIK i1d3 OEM unlock code. A colorimeter, CCSS/EDR corrected. As long as you provide SPD sample for an RGB display… it measures ok.

Marko82
    Participant

Sorry man. I do not know what SPD means..and i1d3 OEM unlock code too.

I just Know xrite stop to produce it under uts brand and calibrite is selling rebranded xrite device

What kind of instrument would you reccomand instead of what I linked?

Those are not spectrophotometer so should avoid problem like mine munky photo have isn t it?

Vincent
    Participant

Sorry man. I do not know what SPD means..and i1d3 OEM unlock code too.

I just Know xrite stop to produce it under uts brand and calibrite is selling rebranded xrite device

What kind of instrument would you reccomand instead of what I linked?

The one you linked. It’s an Xrite i1Display Pro OEM certified to  high HDR brightness.

Those are not spectrophotometer so should avoid problem like mine munky photo have isn t it?

You’ll need a colorimeter correction FOR EACH DISPLAY (TYPE) you measure. Some corrections are bundled, others need to be created with your munki photo using 3nm high res mode… so don’t sell the munki, you’ll need it too.

Your munki photo can measure more or less accurately a WLED PFS backlight if you use ArgyllCMS 3nm high res mode… maybe at the expense of higher nose in dark patches. Aslo it’s very slow, but that i1d3 is very fast, faster than munki photo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS