Dell S2721DGF Calibration settings?

Home Forums Help and Support Dell S2721DGF Calibration settings?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

chivs688
    Participant

Hi all!

Fairly new to monitor calibration so very much still learning the in’s and outs.

I just received the new Dell S2721DGF monitor today, and am looking to calibrate it with DisplayCal and my Xrite i1Display Pro.

Does anyone know what calibration settings I should be using for this panel?

Specifically the Mode (LCD (generic), LCD White LED, LCD RGB LED,…), but also any potential others specific to this panel.

I usually set the Whitepoint to 6500K and the White Level to 120.00.

Panel the monitor uses is the LG Display LM270WQA-SSA2.

Thanks in advance!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

It seems to be one of those new multimedia displays with high P3 coverage. Unfortunately there are several backlight types that give you such colorspace: QLED, W-LED PFS, YAG phosphors…
    You need to find that information in some review that measures & plots display’s spectral power distribution, or look for it in DisplayCAL colorimeter database. Maybe some user with a spectrophotometer measured a display like yours and uploaded it.
    If you do not find it you’ll have to guess. W-LED PFS seems to be a good candidate to start.

If correction is not the right one by a huge margin on the wavelength where your i1DisplayPro does not match standard observer you may end with a white point that does not look “white” or as white as you are acostumned in other displays.
    If that happens there are two solutions: one is to rent an spectrophotometer and create a CCSS correction. For Xrite spectrophotometers choose high resolution mode, 3nm, or device will be blind to some new backlights.
    The other solution is to fix white visually, first you correct it with your best guess CCSS correction, then modify it until it looks right.

Regarding your calibration target it may vary with what you do with your display.
    What you suggest seems like a good start for a multimedia display, but DisplayCAL profile won’t help you out of color managed applications like games… and it looks like a gamer display and widegamut.
    If you wish to restrain the display to be like a common sRGB-like display for games so they do not look bad, you can calibrate with DisplayCAL factory sRGB preset or play with saturation/6-axis controls. DisplayCAL “cousin” HCFR may help you with the last option. You will use the same CCSS corrections as in DisplayCAL but it takes isolated spot measurements in RGBCMY primary & secondary color patches, so it’s faster to get feedback and correct OSD.
    Look in your display manual if there is an sRGB mode or if you can access some kind of primary saturation / 6-axis controls.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS