Crushed blacks in photo viewer imac pro

Home Forums Help and Support Crushed blacks in photo viewer imac pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

TheSwede
    Participant

Hi!

I did a calibration with the settings (view screenshots) and now my blacks are being crushed badly in preview and viewer in my imac pro. The photos are fine in photoshop and Capture one. I know the viewers are not always to be trusted but it seriously cant be so bad that it is not usable at all! Check the screenshot I attached, the right photo is viewed in photoshop and the other through the photo previer in the mac.

How can I fix this issue? Did I do anything wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please use the default settings on a mac.

TheSwede
    Participant

Default color profile?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In DisplayCAL, choose “Default” under settings. Then re-calibrate/profile.

TheSwede
    Participant

Hi mate! I have tried that and everything else I have read on this forum and still the colors are off.

I have viewed a photo I edited in photoshop (srgb workspace and export setting) on several macbooks, PCs, mobile phones and tablets and they all show a similar photo… which is not similar to what I am viewing on my imac pro.

I am experiencing a loss of highlights (flat) and added yellowness, if I add highlights to the photo then they become clipped and it just looks horrible.

As I mentioned the photos I edit look similar on all other devices except mine, the highlights are good and there, on my mac its flat.

I have no idea what to do now.

Vincent
    Participant

Attach profile you made with DisplayCAL

Ed R
    Participant

Hi Florian, thanks for your continuing work on this!  I’ve just calibrated an iMac Pro with an i1 Display Pro using both DisplayCAL and i1 Profiler.  The results are wildly different!  In sum, though, the DisplayCAL version is more pink and the i! Profiler version more yellow.  This is using single curve + matrix.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks, Ed

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure you use a suitable correction for your iMac Pro.

Ed R
    Participant

This is the correct one, yes?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That is a user-provided correction measured with an i1 Pro (3.3nm or 10nm). My recommendation is to use the “Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” instead which has 1nm spectral resolution, measured with a high-end spectrometer. This correction is suitable for all P3 gamut Apple displays (MacBook/iMac Pro) late 2016 and newer.

Ed R
    Participant

Thank you!

Ed R
    Participant

FWIW, I followed Florian’s suggestion, profiled and then repeated the calibration using i1 Profiler with its default settings for iMac Pro.  The i1 Profiler profile was notable more green than the DisplayCAL one.  I then changed the i1 Profiler display type from GB to WLED, repeated the calibration, and the profiles from i1 Profiler and DisplayCAL then were a close match to each other, certainly in terms of white point.

Vincent
    Participant

If you want to use i1Profiler, use the proper one (or the closest one supported by Xrite) for newer iMacs: PFS Phosphor. This one is the same as 95% P3 WLED PFS Phsophor used by DisplayCAL.
    i1Profiler 3.0 for macOS has it and I’m almost sure that previous version had it too.

Ed R
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent.  Using the PFS display type gives a noticeable improvement.

Marathonianbull
    Participant

Would a late-2015 imac 27” (P3) require a different correction profile than the 99% aforementioned by Florian?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS