Colours and contrast differ in Adobe Lightroom

Home Forums Help and Support Colours and contrast differ in Adobe Lightroom

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

I’m using a DELL XPS 15 9650 (4K UHD) with an ASUS PA2238Q monitor and an XRite i1 Display Pro.

I calibrated bother monitors using the XRite and DisplayCal, everything looked good and colours matched pretty well.

However, when I open Adobe Lightroom images are lacking in contrast and saturation compared to everywhere else I view them.

I appreciate Lightroom is a colour managed programme but I was under the impression DisplayCal change the monitor colour as a whole. Is Lightroom loading the profile on top of the profile or something?

Literally feel like I’ve entered the Matrix and lost all form of truth right now!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

OK apologies I had a read through the documentation and realise that the colour managed apps will always look different to the desktop etc.

Is there anyway I can just stick to the profile that’s installed and not have an ICC profile for colour managed apps?

I’d like to just edit my shots in sRGB as everyone else is going to see them on the web etc.

Vincent
    Participant

First of all make sure that when you calibrate it with DisplayCAL you didn’t set a white point too far away from native white (or try to fix bightness in the same way). It may have some impact on contrast.
    Profile info tool in DisplayCAL, “calibration curves”, should point for max channel limitation. A Typical D65 (daylight 6500K) calibration should offer for a good laptop display >90% greys.
    This correction of white & gamma is applied globally to your system.

If it is good, then what you see in Lightroom with DisplayCAL’s profile installed in OS as default profile for your display is what it is meant to be.
    What you see in Windows Photo App or some internet browser is NOT what the colors in your images are meant to be.
    You should use color managed internet browsers like Firefox if you want to see images in the closest way “everyone else is going to see them on the web etc.
    Of course if you try to visualize a sRGB image in a color managed app in a profiled display with high AdobeRGB coverage it will look “desaturated” if you compare it with the same image in  a non color managed viewer… but the colors in non color managed viewer will be wrong! The “desaturated” version is the good one, the “real” one.
    Also you need to know that when you work on a raw file in Lightroom it tries to use full gamut in your display (per profile information) to rendering it. When you export that raw file as a JPG/PNG/TIFF in a “X” colorspace, like sRGB, it “limits” colors to those within that colorspace.
    It you want to limit what you see in Lightroom to sRGB before exporting your images, you may want to use its softproof features, selecting sRGB as proofing profile (if you can do that) instead a printer profile.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

Thanks for your response Vincent.

Tried many recalibrations today, no longer having issues with colour or saturation but no matter what the blacks are always deeper on the desktop compared to in Lightroom. Any tips on setting the white point?

Vincent
    Participant

If you have a widegamut laptop you should have saturation issues in a non color managed desktop  & non color managed apps.
    If you do not have these issues and since DisplayCAL cannot change display gamut, it seems that you messed up with system configuration: Some widegamut laptops have tools provided to manufacturer to emulate sRGB (perhaps using GPU in the same way as AMD desktop cards do). Read doc about your laptop’s features and check if there is something like this.
    If you have this kind of feature and want to use it with/without color managed apps, you should do DisplayCAL calibration after setting this sRGB-like behavior and validate it. If you activate this vendor specific sRGB-like behavior after you calibrate & profile your display while working at its native gamut… then profile is no longer valid and color managed apps will shown wrong colors.

Darker/lighter greys near black with/without color management are usually caused by a mismatch between image profile TRC (tone response curve), actual display TRC and display profile TRC (including back point compesation options). Check TRC info, IDNK what you did. TRC info in profiles could be inspected with DisplayCAL tool, info on actual TRC in display at its current configuration could be get with a profile validation.

Also Lightroom has a feature to emulate black ink in printer profiles. Maybe you enabled softproof features in Lightroom with black ink simulation and softproof profile with a non zero output for black (stored in profile’s TRC). IDNK what you did in LR configuration.

Som laptops have an annoying feature called autodimming that kicks in/out depending on area % of dark colors in screen. Make sure to disable it.

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

Dell laptops have a programme called Dell Premier Colour which allow you to emulate sRGB. Tried calibrating with this on and with the program completely uninstalled too, no luck.

Yes the laptop screen is wide gamut but my Asus monitor is not, it’s just 100% sRGB. Even on that, the blacks and contrast are different in LR compared to the desktop environment.

I do not have any auto-brightness features and I am not using soft-proofing features of Lightroom, I only do when I print.

I gave up on DisplayCal, it gave a different look every time and the verification always came through as NOT OK for everything.

I’ve now got consistent results I’m quite happy with using Dell Premier Colour to emulate sRGB on the laptop screen and then calibrating both screens using Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Software (DUCCS)

Thanks for your help

Vincent
    Participant

You cannot use DUCCS on your laptop (AFAIK) or an Asus screen. What you are using is underlying i1Profiler functionality in displays without HW calibration support from DUCCS to calibrate your displays in graphics card LUT. This is the same DisplayCAL does.

So your color management problems seem to be user-related, not application related.

If you wish to know equivalences:
    -i1Profiler’s matrix profiles are the same as “single curve+matrix” without BPC
    -i1Profiler’s table profiles are smiliar to DisplayCAL’s LUT profiles without BPC
    (and RGphosphor=GBLED and WLED=WLED if you wish to use the same kind of spectral corrections for i1DisplayPro)

but DisplayCAL can take a higher number of measurements to grey ramp to ensure better grey neutrality in troublesome displays… and its LUT loader is better by far (Xrite tool truncate LUT contents in Windows10)

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

Admittedly most of this is going over my head. Wish I had the time to sit down and study all those but sadly can’t right now but I really need to get to the bottom of this.

When I export from Lightroom the darks become a lot darker and more contrasty. Below is a screenshot comparison of Lightroom vs Desktop viewing. I appreciate Windows Photo isn’t the best programme to be using but images appear much darker in the darks wherever I view the exported jpg (Samsung phone, iPhone, Mac computer, other laptop)

Below are the Tone Response Curves for both screens…
    Dell XPS 15 built-in screen

Asus screen

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

Quick update, I uninstalled Intel Graphics Properties and now Lightroom and Desktop appear the same. Now to re-calibrate etc.

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

Spoke too soon, after re-calibrating I still have the same issue

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

OK Intel Graphics Control Panel re-installed on reboot. Could the problem be with this programme somehow ?

Vincent
    Participant

Admittedly most of this is going over my head. Wish I had the time to sit down and study all those but sadly can’t right now but I really need to get to the bottom of this.

When I export from Lightroom the darks become a lot darker and more contrasty. Below is a screenshot comparison of Lightroom vs Desktop viewing. I appreciate Windows Photo isn’t the best programme to be using but images appear much darker in the darks wherever I view the exported jpg (Samsung phone, iPhone, Mac computer, other laptop)

I think that what you see was explained in previous responses but let’s try to explain again:
    -LR or PS or GIMP are color managed. Instead of outputing RGB values in your image to display, they transforms these RGB values, RGB numbers, to color coordinates (by image profile). Those color coordinates are reencoded to whatever RGB values in your display match the same color coordinates.
    -Non color managed apps like Windows Photo or Paint just output RGB values from an mage to your display.

If you go to wikipedia for example, you’ll see what sRGB TRC looks like (Y axis gamma value, X axis grey value sent to display. It is not 2.2, it is “lighter” near blacks.

Your DisplayCAL TRC plot in your screenshot is not represented in the same way as wikipedia XY axis for sRGB  gamma, but if you do a profile verification you can see it in that way.
    If you have a high contrast IPS-like display and chose 2.2 gamma while calibrating it’s very likely that your display gamma is very close to a constant value down to very very dark greys. Your display profile should have that TRC value stored inside it.

So this is what is happening. If you open that exported image in PS or other color managed editor/viewer (& configured to do color management), that editor will lighten RGB dark values (numbers!) a little to compensate your display darker gamma near black, so they look like the same colors in an sRGB-gamma display. They show as intended.
    When you open that image in Windows Photo it doesn’t calculate all this stuff, just output RGB values to your display…since your display may have 2.2-like constant gamma till very very dark greys… they look darker than they should. You are not displaying that colors as sRGB ones. You are displaying them as if they were encoded in your display colorspace.

Sorry, I cannot explain it in a clear way. You just need to use proper tools to view your images: restore classic vindows image viewer (it’s not perfert but it is better that Windows Photo) and use Firefox as your internet browser.

Alyn Wallace
    Participant

I ended up about 4am calibrating with sRGB instead of 2.2 and am way happier with what I’m seeing (for now!).  I believe my monitor arrived factory calibrated to sRGB when I bought it a couple of years ago so I guess this is what I’m used to. Thanks for the help

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS