Calibration involving madVR

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration involving madVR

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

RLE4535
    Participant

I use a Spyder5 to calibrate my display using DisplayCAL. Up until now, I have never tinkered with the ‘Calibration’ properties within the madVR control panel. I have done some research on this and read through many threads on this forum, but am still not quite sure exactly how to do this properly.

My display is calibrated and, prior to calibrating, I adjusted the correct white point and RGB levels using the display controls, as it advises to do so before taking measurements. In madVR, the ‘Calibration’ settings give me the option between deactivating calibration controls, selecting that the display is already calibrated, and the other options involving setting/inputting a calibration 3DLUT file.

In order for the display to remain calibrated when watching videos, is it necessary to change the madVR settings? Why can’t I just select ‘This display is already calibrated’ in madVR? Before I re-calibrated my display (the old profile was several months old, so I decided to start from scratch), I created a 3DLUT profile and loaded it into madVR, but I noticed the colours seemed ‘off’  (not in a bad way, just different). Is this expected?

Now that I have a freshly calibrated display, what exactly needs to be done in madVR? Can I just select the ‘already calibrated’ option with the correct options for ‘primaries/gamut’ and ‘transfer function/gamma’? Or generate a new 3DLUT file? In which case would I install that under BT.709? How do I know whether the calibration has been done correctly for use with madVR?

If anybody can be of any help, I would be grateful.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

madVR cannot use ICC profiles, so a 3D LUT is the equivalent option. You can use your existing profile for creating it. Enable the 3D LUT tab in the options menu, then set 3D LUT format to madVR, and create the 3D LUT.

RLE4535
    Participant

Hi,

Is it as simple as that? Do I have to change any of the options for creating the 3DLUT? I realise a more ‘advanced’ user would tinker with this a bit more, but I’m only looking to make sure madVR respects the display calibration state.

Edit: I’m still a little perplexed as to why this is necessary. If the display is already calibrated, why does madVR need a separate profile?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by RLE4535. Reason: Added question

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, the 3D LUT defaults should be good (source Rec. 709, tone curve Rec. 1886), so changing the 3D LUT format to madVR is the only thing required.

RLE4535
    Participant

That’s great, thank you for the assistance. I assume when updating the calibration I can just create a new 3D LUT and installation will overwrite the old one.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Correct.

RLE4535
    Participant

I have to revive this to ask something as when watching video something just doesn’t seem right to me.

When the video opens, the new calibration state loaded from madVR seems “washed out” compared to the DisplayCAL state. Should the calibration change noticeably?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Depends on how close or far your display is from the chosen target parameters for the 3D LUT. If you have a wide-gamut display, then properly color managed Rec. 709 video will definitely look more “washed out” (= not over-saturated anymore).

RLE4535
    Participant

I see, and even though it seems more “washed out” compared to the desktop, it is a more accurate representation of the video?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The desktop is not color managed.

RLE4535
    Participant

Bit confused now. I thought that was the point of the calibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

See the documentation for the difference of calibration vs profiling (the latter is what enables color management).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS