Calibrating with 10bit and HDR enabled.

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating with 10bit and HDR enabled.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Walk Straight
    Participant

I’ve been trying to calibrate my monitor with windows HDR enabled it makes my display extremely yellow. I’ve tried both i1Studio and DisplayCal. Has anyone had success with this?Calibrator: ColormunkiDisplay LG 34GK950F-BGPU: 2080tiConnection: DP 1.4NVIDIA Display Setttings: 3440×1440, 10bit, RGB, Full output, 144HzDisplaycal attempts: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS 98% AdobeRGB, 96% P3, WP: D65, Gamma 2.2, output levels Full range, profile quality high

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

AstralStorm
    Participant

For calibrating under HDR conditions, you should enable HDR in windows and set SDR brightness to maximum for a reasonable result. At least that’s what worked for me in Windows 10 2004 19631.1. (Insider preview)
    You also must use madvr pattern generator (madvr option in the first screen) as DisplayCAL does not output in ST 2084 colorspace and gets SDR mapping from Windows applied to it, and metadata not passed to monitor.
    SDR brightness works around some wonkiness in how backlight is controlled in one of the monitors I tried it on, which has global backlight only.

Afterwards, you have to install the profile with “Advanced Color” checkbox in Windows itself, as DisplayCAL loader does not understand these.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by AstralStorm.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by AstralStorm.

AstralStorm
    Participant

There is also a tidbit about gamma curve. There are two approaches, one is aiming at BT.709, making some applications in SDR which also bypass compositor better behaved if you load the calibration via vcgt, the other is aiming at gamma 3.0 with full input offset which is close to ST 2084 for reasonable typical nits and screens (0.01 – 400 nit), making HDR applications without profile support return more correct brightness if your screen is also ~400 nit.

Morphinapg
    Participant

I have a 700nit 42″ OLED as my PC monitor right now. HDR content looks perfect on it. I don’t care to modify that. The problem is, when HDR mode is turned on in Windows, SDR content seems to be mapped to 2.2 gamma, or possibly even lower.

Is it possible to create a profile that will ONLY affect how SDR content is mapped within this HDR signal? I want my SDR content to map to a 2.4 gamma, reaching a peak brightness that matches the setting I chose in the windows HDR settings. Currently, a setting of 14 for SDR brightness results in SDR content peaking out around 170 nits, which looks adequately bright in my lit room.

No matter what I do to generate a profile, loading that profile as an “advanced color profile” seems to have no effect whatsoever. It I load it as a regular profile, everything gets super dim and wrongly colored, so that’s no good either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS