Calibrating properly for Windows & HDR

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating properly for Windows & HDR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

OverC1ockeD
    Participant

So I am calibrating my LG CX OLED. What I want to know is the proper settings for this. I am calibrating to full range RGB since it’s mostly for gaming and PC stuff (my tv is already calibrated to limited but I am seeing

Issues in dark areas due to the differences in range). I want to create a 3DLUT at the end that can also do limited RGB (Windows will auto switch in apps if I’m not mistaken). One of the things I want to know is I have Windows set to using HDR. How do I properly calibrate it so that SDR and HDR are both accurate and how do I save the LUT, etc? If someone could help walk me through this in steps that would be awesome. Thanks!

OverC1ockeD
    Participant

Bump

Vincent
    Participant

Late a look on Le Doge’s thread for DWMLUT and HDR. I remember other users asking or sharing the same.

Raj S
    Participant

I’d recommend just using CalMAN Home for LG ($150). Use their AutoCal and basically do all the modes. So SDR + HDR + DV including their Cinema, Filmmaker and Game modes. TFTCentral has a great beginners guide for AutoCal on LG.

I personally use gamma 2.2 on Cinema and 2.4 on Filmmaker. This way I can use Cinema mode on PC, and Filmmaker for the inbuilt apps like Netflix/Amazon Prime.

You wouldn’t have to worry about Full vs Limited Range either. It would all be done correctly for you by the calibration software.

If you’re willing to skip the 3DLUT calibration, one alternative is to manually calibrate HDR 2-point controls (it’s recommended to leave the HDR 20-point alone) and use the excellent factory calibration for everything else. Often people do it in the Service Menu which lets you adjust WP before any additional processing is applied.

I know about the other alternatives. For example, ColourSpace ZRO manual calibration, DeviceControl, PGenerator, ColourSpace HT 3DLUT calibration, HCFR, and so on. They’re either too complex or too expensive for a consumer solution. That’s why I recommend CalMAN.

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

(it’s recommended to leave the HDR 20-point alone

Hi,

is this valid for the LG OLED TVs? I spent some hours yesterday adjusting (almost blindly) that 20-point feature and ended up with ever-so-slightly elevated black level!

I’d love to use hardware 1D and 3DLUT on my LG but I am on 2017’s series which would require a special firmware to be able to upload LUT’s. So I am also interested in a workflow to profile in HDR mode. I can calibrate and profile in SRD but I am looking for something to improve my HDR. Even just white balance and PQ curve would be welcome! 🙂

Thanks.

EP98
    Participant

You won’t be able to accurately calibrate HDR on WRGB OLED’s with 3D LUT’s due to abl and white subpixel diluting color. You can only calibrate the best you can on it

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by EP98.

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

I disabled ABL via service manual and I found that adding black patches between each patch read on screen makes the results repeatable. I agree the subpixel won’t help.

I am not expecting to have a post-production screen here but the HDR is pretty wild and the TV’s adjustments are broken (and I am being kind). So If I could rely on DisplayCAL even for just a 1D calibration, that would be great.

EP98
    Participant

ABL is still present even if you go into the service menu to turn off those settings.

Usually the recommendation up to a few months ago was do a 2 point White Balance adjustment and that’s it.

And for accurate PQ tracking set the TV to clip beyond its Peak Luminace. On newer models you set roll off points to 100% so that it will clip to accurately preserve EOTF. So that there’s no Tone Mapping turned on. You have an older set so I don’t know if its possible.

You can then run a 1D LUT or 3D LUT calibration and do a verification afterwards. But I doubt results will be good.

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

On my set there is a primitive tone mapping which can be disabled. I am using madVR tone mapping.

I appreciate the limitations of the technology but I would still like to try.

My question stands: is there a way to calibrate and profile in HDR using displayCAL? What do I set in calibration? HDR is not gamma 2.2, right?

EP98
    Participant

I’m having issues trying to calibrate HDR on my A95K QD-OLED. It always comes out inaccurate. I don’t know if you’ll have better results.

No its not 2.2. It’s 2084. And for accuracy you’ll want to clip beyond its Peak Luminace.

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

No its not 2.2. It’s 2084. And for accuracy you’ll want to clip beyond its Peak Luminace.

But there isn’t a 2084 option under Calibration. What do you use? (QD-OLED: nice!)

That said, I am told that LG panels work in SDR gamma 2.2 behind the scenes and then an HDR algorithm converts everything in HDR. The Algorithm expects a perfect 2.2 gamma panel in order to provide the expected result.

So maybe all I have to do is to run displayCAL in SDR with the “oled light” (the white level in LG’s world) set to maximum as it would be in HDR.

EP98
    Participant

Yeah generally for manual calibration you calibrate to 2.2 for HDR.

For 3D LUT creation I don’t know.

Maybe 3D LUT for 2.2 will give better results? I’m trying to find a solution myself on how to create 3D LUT’s for HDR.  You may want to try that and then run a verification in 2084.

Is bt.2084 EOTF under the 3D LUT tab?

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

Yeah generally for manual calibration you calibrate to 2.2 for HDR.

I had no idea LOL!

Is bt.2084 EOTF under the 3D LUT tab?

I believe so, that’s why I started asking questions! 🙂

To be fair I’d be happy to be able to adjust the white balance and PQ curve on my set! As you say the white subpixel probably makes a 3DLUT more or less pointless.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

EP98
    Participant

You said it yourself. You were told that LG panels converts 2.2 to HDR PQ. Thats how LG and Sony designed their TV’s. Although the only software that I know off that lets your properly do this on LG is Calman and Colourspace.

You won’t get good results with a 3D LUT you’ll only do good up to 200 nits then above that the panel will desaturate colors. Creating a 3D LUT is pointless on WRGB OLED.

Antonio Marcheselli
    Participant

I meant I had no idea before I was told (literally yesterday).

Calman and Colourspace will tap into the LG’s hardware calibration facility, calibrate/profile and upload a 1D/3D LUT to the TV itself – which is amazing for a consumer set.

Problem is

1. My TV is 2017 and this is available from 2018
    2.  That software cost an arm and a leg 🙂

And I see your point about WRGB. Happy with the colours as they are. I’m just trying to get a reasonable white balance and PQ curve, that’s it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS