Calibrating a SmallHD 502 monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating a SmallHD 502 monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Birk Kromann
    Participant

But doesn’t that only verify that the LUT is correct. Is there a way to see if the display, with the LUT applied, is correct?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So you just want to do a self-check on the 3D LUT, to see if it produces the expected output, without actually sending it to the display and measuring it? You can do that as well. Hold the ‘alt’ key while clicking on the measurement report button.

Birk Kromann
    Participant

No no. I wanna see if the display is correctly calibrated with the LUT allied. Sorry if I misunderstood you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Then you do a normal measurement report with the settings I posted.

Birk Kromann
    Participant

I’ve just seen that my SmallHD monitor gives me a message when I apply the calibration LUT. It says that the calibration LUT will provide incorrect results if “the LUT operates on full range data”

How do I know whether it does that? When I export it from DisplayCal it says “Input encoding: Full range” and “Output encoding: Full range”

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This should be easy to figure out with a pluge pattern.

thereshold4001
    Participant

When carrying out calibration, input a signal of the legal level. A signal of the legal level is needed for internal process of 502.

Francis
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’m a cinematographer getting myself into the deep rabbit hole of color science and having a go at calibrating my SmallHD monitors (Focus and 702 Bright at this stage). If anyone is still following this thread I’d love to know the correct way of creating a null LUT. I’ve attempted a few goes using LUTCalc but am not sure whether what I’ve created is technically a correct null LUT. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

a ‘null’ LUT is simply one that maps input to output. The same effect can be had with no LUT. Doesn’t the smallHD have a way to turn the LUT off?

Francis
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your reply!

So with the SmallHD interface there is calibration LUT that comes enabled from the factory. When any calibration LUT is loaded you then get access to a menu page called ‘APPEARANCE’.

From here you can adjust the following:
    GAMMA SHIFT (-1 to 5, default is 0)
    SHARPNESS
    CON,BRT,SAT
    R,G,B GAIN (-100 to 200 with 100 as default)
    R,G,B OFFSET(-20 to 20 with 0 as default)
    Which would be the right one to adjust if any?

If you disable the Calibration LUT then this menu is greyed out/unusable.

This brings me to my next point. When you load any LUT into the Calibration page you are prompted with the following:

This LUT will be INCORRECT unless:
    1. Calibration was DISABLED while profiling
    2. The LUT operates on full range data

After hitting OK, you are then prompted with:

Targeted Color Space: REC709

hit enter and then,

Targeted White Point:
    D65 (i’m choosing this one )
    DCI-P3

Hit enter and then the LUT is loaded and the ‘APPEARANCE’ page is made usable/active again, retaining any changes you may have made previously.

With all this in mind, how does one best go about calibrating and profiling these displays as best as one might be able to?
    I am working with Windows 10, i1 Display Pro 12/2017 Rev. B – 02, Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Resolve Studio 15, connected using either HDMI or SDI depending on which SmallHD monitor i’m connecting  to.

When following the https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-lut-creation-workflow-for-resolve/ what should one do when it comes to the interactive display adjusment? What settings in DisplayCAL on the calibration and 3D LUT tab should I go with for working in the REC709, D65 monitoring video direct out of camera world?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This LUT will be INCORRECT unless:
    1. Calibration was DISABLED while profiling
    2. The LUT operates on full range data

Sounds reasonable and what I would expect.

what should one do when it comes to the interactive display adjusment?

When display controls are unavailable, just skip it.

What settings in DisplayCAL on the calibration and 3D LUT tab should I go with for working in the REC709, D65 monitoring video direct out of camera world?

I would use the “3D LUT for Resolve (Rec. 709 / 1886)” preset in DisplayCAL. Depending on native contrast of the SmallHD (anything below 2000:1), you may be better off using an all-output-offset (100%) gamma curve instead of BT.1886.

Michael Tebinka
    Participant

HI all,

I managed to get very bad results from my first two attempts. At what intervals did you make the measurements and using what brightness level of the monitor. I am myself using an Ultrabright 503.

Thank you in advance.

Michael Tebinka
    Participant

Hi all

Those of you that have successfully calibrated your SmallHD monitors, at what brightness level have you set the monitor to? What type of monitor/lcd type have you selected? I seem to have some issues with the interval of the i1DPro taking measurements from the 503 Ultrabright – also likely that the brightness level can’t be handled by the i1DPro probe.

A lot of questions and confusion at this stage – would love to successfully calibrate it though.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

also likely that the brightness level can’t be handled by the i1DPro probe

How bright (in cd/m2) does the 503 go? The i1D3 is rated for (afaik) up to 1000 cd/m2.

Michael Tebinka
    Participant

I suppose that is the limitation right there. 503 UB has 2200 cd/m2 at 100% brightness level. There is a “new” i1 Display Pro (2017 and later) that can measure 2000 nits (equivalent to 2000 cd/m2?) but that’s technically short of 200 cd/m2 according to specifications.

Makes me wonder if SmallHD’s probe for calibration is any different than the OEM i1Display Pro… likely not? And if so that wouldn’t be a reliable instrument to use with your 503UB or am I wrong in my assumption?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS