Calibrate Broadcast Reference Monitor

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrate Broadcast Reference Monitor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

JacekK
    Participant

Can anyone help with how to calibrate a Broadcast Reference Monitor manually using Resolve as the pattern generator?

I’ve seen it done by a professional calibrator using Calman and watched tutorials using Calman Home Express where you read the pattern generated for gamma and could curves then manually adjust the monitor within range then repeat the process until the curves are correct.

How do I do this with DisplayCAL?

Thank you!

JacekK
    Participant

I see in previous comments that you suggest using HCFR for calibrating external TVs (and monitors also I assume) however HCFR is for PCs and not Mac. I found  a Mac version  ColorHCFR but  it seems to be limited in sensors to the HCFR sensor and the Spyder 2 & 3.

Is there no way way of doing this in DisplayCal? Or another solution?

Thank you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you are going to use Resolve, my recommendation would be to create a 3D LUT. See the Resolve 3D LUT guide in the Wiki.

JacekK
    Participant

Thank you yes I have created s LUT in Resolve and it works perfectly but I do a lot of work in Premiere which has no colour management so would like to do a hardware calibration.

I’ve tried using HCFR running on Parallels but it won’t detect my i1 Pro and seems to be very limited in its support and development.

Right now I’m eyeballing to match the monitor to how it looks in Resolve but it’s obviously not ideal.

I guess I have no option other than to persevere with HCFR and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again Florian.

Ian Hansen
    Participant

You could use an external LUT box or blackmagics HDMI to SDI 6G converter. It accepts LUTs.

JacekK
    Participant

Thank you Ian.  Yes I could use a LUT box but the cost of those is prohibitive for me.

i finally got HCFR to work. I use Premiere Pro to play out the patterns from a timeline. That workflow works great but it’s a clunky process.

I guess that’s the price for trying to ‘indie’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS