BenQ SW271C – Tweaking PaletteMasterElement PME

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ SW271C – Tweaking PaletteMasterElement PME

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Calami
    Participant

I’m interessted in an SW271C. To my understanding it’s using the same panel as the Eizo CS2740 and BenQ claims they have inproved uniformity as well (I’m not sure though wether BenQ use Grade A displays?)

As from several postings here

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/how-do-i-determine-which-type-of-lcd-does-my-monitor-have/

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/benq-sw321-calibration-w-pme-displaycal

I get it that BenQ’s software PME uses a wrong *edr file for these kind of displays (the use RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr)

To my understanding HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr (which you can fetch by installing the HP DreamColor Z24x Calibration Software) is the better choice.

I once had an SW321C for testing and while I was fiddeling around with PME I realized that one could tweak some settings to load a different .edr.

PME uses 2 files for this

1. Manifest.txt

// ALL PLUGINS

AppCodes = *CEYD*
    Name = i1DisplayPro
    Image = i1DisplayPro.png
    Top View Image = sensor.png
    Hot Spot = 290,290
    UIName = i1Display Pro
    LoadCalibrationFile = RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
    MAC/Executable = Plugin.bundle
    WIN/Executable = Plugin.dll

// INSTRUMENTS

measureStartSound = HiBeep.wav
    measureEndSound = Note
    // LoBeep.wav
    modalMessageSound = Attention.wav
    calibMessageSound = Attention.wav
    calibFailedSound = Cymbal.mp3
    errorSound = Cymbal.mp3
    calibMessageText = “Sensor Calibration
    Position the sensor on the table or other flat, solid surface to block out the ambient light.
    When ready, click Continue.”

// EOF

2. I1D3Mapping.txt

3,CCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
    6,WGCCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
    9,WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
    12,RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
    22,ProjectorFamily_07Feb11.edr

Well if you put the right edr under PaletteMaster\Resources\Instruments\04i1Display Pro.bundle\ (for an i1 Display Pro retail in my case) and change the files to

1. Manifest.txt

// ALL PLUGINS

AppCodes = *CEYD*
    Name = i1DisplayPro
    Image = i1DisplayPro.png
    Hot Spot = 290,290
    UIName = i1Display Pro
    LoadCalibrationFile = HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr

// INSTRUMENTS

measureEndSound = Note
    // LoBeep.wav
    errorSound = Cymbal.mp3
    Position the sensor on the table or other flat, solid surface to block out the ambient light.

// EOF

and

2. I1D3Mapping.txt

3,CCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
    9,WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
    12,HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr

then this way PME should use the correct edr.

Another way could be to simply rename HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr to RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr and replace the (false) original

What I’m no sure of is if PME does some tweaking because they use the wrong edr in the first place and users already complained about a tint before and afai it improved.

So I’m not sure if changing the edr file is enough. But checking the PME HW calibration results with DispayCAL should reveal this, right?

As I understand I would have to use the correct settings “LCD RG Phosphor (which seem to stem from HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr)” against that PME HW calibration with “HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr”, right?

Can anybody comment on my chain of thoughts?

BTW.: Do I have to fiddle with Dithering settings when using DisplaCAl on a Nvidia Quadro P1000?

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/how-to-enable-dithering-on-nvidia-geforce-with-windows-os/

Thanks

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

kn0x
    Participant

Hi Calami,

Did you (or anyone else?) make any progress on the thoughts you have outlined? I was looking at improving calibration for a SW271C as well.

Thanks!

Vincent
    Participant

I’m interessted in an SW271C. To my understanding it’s using the same panel as the Eizo CS2740 and BenQ claims they have inproved uniformity as well (I’m not sure though wether BenQ use Grade A displays?)

Grade B or C, but uniformity compensation always on on “-C” models so panel uniformity is more oe less OK at the expense of loosing about ~50% contrast (varies with actual unit). Usually they are a bad deal, better go to Eizo CS models.

As from several postings here

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/how-do-i-determine-which-type-of-lcd-does-my-monitor-have/

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/benq-sw321-calibration-w-pme-displaycal

I get it that BenQ’s software PME uses a wrong *edr file for these kind of displays (the use RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr)

Yes

To my understanding HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr (which you can fetch by installing the HP DreamColor Z24x Calibration Software) is the better choice.

Some Benq SW are QLED, some qre WLED PFS AdobeRGB flavor like the one you name. It varies with model. Check DisplayCAl colorimeter database to get a hint of actual led type.

I once had an SW321C for testing and while I was fiddeling around with PME I realized that one could tweak some settings to load a different .edr.

PME uses 2 files for this

1. Manifest.txt

// ALL PLUGINS

AppCodes = *CEYD*
    Name = i1DisplayPro
    Image = i1DisplayPro.png
    Hot Spot = 290,290
    UIName = i1Display Pro
    LoadCalibrationFile = RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr

// INSTRUMENTS

measureEndSound = Note
    // LoBeep.wav
    errorSound = Cymbal.mp3

// EOF

2. I1D3Mapping.txt

3,CCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
    9,WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
    12,RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr

Well if you put the right edr under PaletteMaster\Resources\Instruments\04i1Display Pro.bundle\ (for an i1 Display Pro retail in my case) and change the files to

1. Manifest.txt

// ALL PLUGINS

AppCodes = *CEYD*
    Name = i1DisplayPro
    Image = i1DisplayPro.png
    Hot Spot = 290,290
    UIName = i1Display Pro
    LoadCalibrationFile = HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr

// INSTRUMENTS

measureEndSound = Note
    // LoBeep.wav
    errorSound = Cymbal.mp3

// EOF

and

2. I1D3Mapping.txt

3,CCFLFamily_07Feb11.edr
    9,WLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr
    12,HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr

then this way PME should use the correct edr.

AFAIK this won’t work

Another way could be to simply rename HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr to RGBLEDFamily_07Feb11.edr and replace the (false) original

AFAIK this won’t work, some parte of SDK may be ahrdcoded and spectra series size do not match. 1st option above is more likely to work.

What I’m no sure of is if PME does some tweaking because they use the wrong edr in the first place and users already complained about a tint before and afai it improved.

So I’m not sure if changing the edr file is enough. But checking the PME HW calibration results with DispayCAL should reveal this, right?

Read Midas’ thread about CS2731: Full spectral data replacement keeping the headers, bpundaries & size of RGBLED EDR

Midas did => get the proper EDR CCSS, copy spectral data to RGBLED CCSS, use ccss2edr python screipt (google it) to get a forged EDR with WLED PFS data… but Midas “wrong” EDR was GB_LED EDR (RG_phosphor) whose spectral series matched in length with Z24x.

RGBLED spectral series are longer in red wavelegths, so you’ll need to add zero padding.

Also if your SW271C ha no Xrite EDR, only community CCSS at 3nm youl’ll need to interpolate to 1nm, pad zeroes in red tail, then ccss2edr.

As I understand I would have to use the correct settings “LCD RG Phosphor (which seem to stem from HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr)” against that PME HW calibration with “HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr”, right?

Can anybody comment on my chain of thoughts?

Explained above. Full spectral data replecement should work 100% sure but it is more difficult to do.

Also error caused by RGBLED EDR may be big or small depending on your i1d3, depending on how different is RGBLED EDR from “good one” (whatever it is) on wavelegths where colorimeter firmware says it drifts from ideal CIE 1931 2 degree observer.
    Hence unless full firmware dump & inspection is hard to predict how bad RGBLED is behaving on your system. Using RGBLED CCSS and then the good CCSS and comparing actual color distance between thos emeasurements gives you a very good hint if the error.
    Of course Benq Pallete Master Elements can meke a lot so over simplifications while calibrating that result in unreliable white point, but that will be out of scope of colorimeter correction.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Calami
    Participant

Wow it took just about over 1 year to get a response here. I’m impressed 😉

Thank you!

I’d much appreciate also an answer to my post here

ThinkPad X1Y3 – AUO B140QAN02.0 – Best practice + Dithering infos?

if you could find the time.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS