BenQ PD2500Q RGB gray balance

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ PD2500Q RGB gray balance

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

uran0s
    Participant

Hi,

I recently purchased two BenQ PD2500Q, and after calibrating with Spyder 5, and after several tests, I can never get “OK OK” on the gray scale.
    When calibrating the MacbookPro it gives the values all correct.

Calibration method:

DisplayCAL 3.8.9.3
    SPYDER 5
    LCD WHITE LED
    Whitepoint 6500K
    White level 100cd / m2
    Tone curve Gamma 2.2
    Medium
    Single curve + matrix
    Testchart 778

Monitor

Brightness 22
    Contrast 50
    R 99
    G 94
    B 95

I leave attached the final test result after several calibrations, this being the best I got.
    I have been looking at the i1Display Pro, it seems to be much faster to calibrate and faithful. Would i1Display Pro achieve better results in grays?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

i1Display Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Move calibration speed to “slow” and choose a simple profile (matrix) so profiling stage do not take so much time (<100 patches).
    Calibration speed = number of iterative pass to fix grey.

The error you show is (1) measured grey vs a true neutral grey with the same color as white and (2) how a grey and another grey dift from each other regarding “color tint” in greys (if all greys have the same tint, range woud be low but (1) wil be high).

GPUs can be tricke too, but that error seems too high to be caused by GPU banding issues. Anyway, check a black to white gradient in MS paint to spot those issues.
    Also IDNK how much innacurate is your spyder, usually they are.
    In my experience with calibration speed low, an i1displaypro and an AMD card it is not difficut to get visually smooth gradients and low range even if uncalibrated screen shows visually mild to severe tint in a zone of greyscale.
    So check uncalibrated grey scale response too in a numeric way (deltaC and off axis a=b=0 values fro greys) or in a visual way with MS paint on Windows if you can plug it into a windows omputer. IDNK how to show an image with no color management in macOS, maybe other people can help you with such test in macos.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Vincent.

uran0s
    Participant

Thanks Vincent,

On my old Dell 2209WA monitor I calibrated in slow mode with 79 Testchart profiles, and the results were better.
    As for windows and mac, I only have windows, so I can’t try on windows. : |
    On mac I always have everything off, before calibrating.

I chose to calibrate in M this time, because it still takes 3H, the spyder is very slow.
    I have the opportunity to buy a cheap i1Display Pro, do you think it’s worth it? Not only for speed but for accuracy? And by the way, does the old Pro and Pro Plus make a difference?

My graphic card is AMD Vega 56.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

I chose to calibrate in M this time, because it still takes 3H, the spyder is very slow.
    I have the opportunity to buy a cheap i1Display Pro, do you think it’s worth it? Not only for speed but for accuracy?

I would say yes, but try slow first.

And by the way, does the old Pro and Pro Plus make a difference?

Pro plus is the one meant for very hight brightness  displays up to 2000nit. IDNK it noise in black is worse. There should be a thread in ArgyllCMS maillist about it.

I’ll get vanilla i1displaypro

uran0s
    Participant

Thanks again,

One more question, should I disable “black point compensation” when creating a profile?

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks again,

One more question, should I disable “black point compensation” when creating a profile?

= my black is ideal. If measurement device is not accurate in low light enabling it will reduce issues in color managed apps at the expense of accuracy (app wil behave like it was perfect)

But you use macOS… so you are limited to default profiling options if you want to avoid all the issues present in faulty desktop color management in macos (matrix, single curve, blackpoint compensation on… etc)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Vincent.

uran0s
    Participant

Vincent,

Thank you so much again for all the tips.
    I detected that the Mac Os Catalina was recognizing the monitor as 10 bits instead of 8 bits, I fixed the problem and still the gray scale you sent was not close to being perfect.
    After research, I saw that another common mistake of the last operating system, is not using the RGB system for the monitor, so I followed a tutorial to force RGB and it was perfect, RGB and 8 Bits.
    Now when viewing the gray scale again, both in Safari, Preview, Photoshop all are correct, as well as the HDMI or DP port has the same color. 🙂

After calibrating tonight, in Low mode, D65, 100cdm, Tone curve Gamma 2.2 and with 175 Testcharts, I noticed that it got worse, that is, the gray scale is not perfect again, and the values ​​do not seem to be the best either.
    When I calibrated the second monitor it was even worse.
    Is it now the spyder? I am considering buying the i1Display Pro.

I’m calibrating on LCD WHITE LED, is it correct? Or should it be LCD GENERIC?

I leave photographs to illustrate.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Grayscale gradient visual test should be viewed with no color management, otherwise errors related to each app color management engine & truncation may happen.
    IDNK if this can be done in macOS, in Windows just open gradient in MS Paint.
    With no color management gradient VISUAL issues are caused by monitor issues or by applied GPU calibration (VCGT in display ICC profile).
    With color management… you cannot know the source of error.

As I said before such high “individual” error (deltaC, big summary of greys)  usually do not happen with an i1d3 or distance between greys (range). Range can be a little bad even with an i1d3 if display is bad behaved near black (casue near black you cannot actually correct “color” too much)

Re check that after calibration there was no change in GPU settings, pixel format and such.

uran0s
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

I bought an i1Display Pro and everything changed in calibration. 🙂
    I was in doubt, since with this calibrator I don’t have the LCD White Led option, just having only LCD (generic), how should I do the calibration correctly?
    Should I use Correction’s?

I did two tests, one in High with i1 DisplayPro correction that I downloaded to my monitor in XYZ LUT + Matrix, and I did another one with the same correction in Low and Single curve + Matrix. I leave the results below.

Why does the calibration result give me 93.9% sRGB when the monitor is 100% sRGB? Will I have to put the monitor in sRGB mode? It is that if you get into sRGB mode I no longer have access to the custom RGB channels.

My main question is, should I just leave it on LCD Generic without corrections? Do I apply the correction I downloaded to my monitor? Or do I apply Spectral correction: LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

I bought an i1Display Pro and everything changed in calibration. 🙂
    I was in doubt, since with this calibrator I don’t have the LCD White Led option, just having only LCD (generic), how should I do the calibration correctly?
    Should I use Correction’s?

I did two tests, one in High with i1 DisplayPro correction that I downloaded to my monitor in XYZ LUT + Matrix, and I did another one with the same correction in Low and Single curve + Matrix. I leave the results below.

MacOs users stay with default idealized (vs accurate) profiles for general use. Reason: the faulty macOS color anagement engine for desktop & Apple apps.

Why does the calibration result give me 93.9% sRGB when the monitor is 100% sRGB? Will I have to put the monitor in sRGB mode? It is that if you get into sRGB mode I no longer have access to the custom RGB channels.

Do not use it. Use Custom or user mode, fix gains & brightness. Do not change contrast OSD setting.

Edit: I meant, you CAN use that sRGB mode. It is factory calibration mode with locked gains. DisplayCAL will correct white point distance to target in GPU. Since you are in macOS it may have side effects like wit mac laptops. Same reason as abobe.
    Use user/custom mode, fix white in monitor and that’s all.

My main question is, should I just leave it on LCD Generic without corrections? Do I apply the correction I downloaded to my monitor? Or do I apply Spectral correction: LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)?

That one, WLED for sRGB monitors

• This reply was modified 5 days, 2 hours ago by Vincent.

uran0s
    Participant

Thanks for all the information. 🙂

Just to finish, how many Testcharts do you recommend for color profiling?

Vincent
    Participant

In macOS you are limited to simple & idealized profiles (single curve + matrix) so just to capture brightness in grey TRC default or up to 1xx patches. More than that will be useless.

When doing complex & detailed XYZLUT profiles, just make cubic root of patch number. That will be the number of steps (aprox.) from black to a primary color, like a grid size in a 3D mesh, a cube.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS