Basic Calibration help for a total newb

Home Forums Help and Support Basic Calibration help for a total newb

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

S Simeonov
    Participant

Is it a good idea, next time when I calibrate for windows and madvr 3dlut, to select XYZ LUT+matrix and enable black point compensation for both calibrations?

Samskihero
    Participant

Hey Vincent

Thanks as always for spending the time to respond! Sadly I’ve had no luck

I can’t get an absolutely clean band free gradient with Display Cal but is clean on MS Paint with no profiles loaded. It’s not all that bad to be honest just slight banding.

LR blacks act strange with DisplayCals calibration profiles no matter what options I choose, Capture One I tired it seems better but grey blacks are still quite consistent with the displaycal profile compared to the sRGB one on windows

I also tried i1 Profiler from X-Rite and it gave the same results

I really appreciate all the help I’m happy to keep trying things but at this point, I’m better off just ignoring calibration for my kind of work

Thanks Vincent!

Vincent
    Participant

Is it a good idea, next time when I calibrate for windows and madvr 3dlut, to select XYZ LUT+matrix and enable black point compensation for both calibrations?

Usually you want a realistic profile for LUT3D. MadVR would do a lot of dither tricks to lower bitdepth when needed. Truncation to 8bit when rendering happens on GIMP etc, you may want to simplify things there, not in madVR or DisplayCAL LUT3d

Hey Vincent

Thanks as always for spending the time to respond! Sadly I’ve had no luck

I can’t get an absolutely clean band free gradient with Display Cal but is clean on MS Paint with no profiles loaded. It’s not all that bad to be honest just slight banding.

Hence is a GPU problem. If on a nvidia try dither registry hack somewhere in this forum… otherwise no way to fix it.

LR blacks act strange with DisplayCals calibration profiles no matter what options I choose, Capture One I tired it seems better but grey blacks are still quite consistent with the displaycal profile compared to the sRGB one on windows

Maybe you have print profile simulation active… which should simulate printed black, which is brighter that your display black. It’s inteded to work than way so you can test using software how things will look printed.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Vincent.

S Simeonov
    Participant

So, it is a bad idea to check black point compensation for XYZ LUT+matrix?

Vincent
    Participant

Profile will store that black is “perfect”, hence computed LUT3D will asume it too. This may not be what you want. It may (or may not) look more pleasing than other setups for you, but may report higher errors if you want to validate. IDNK what you want to do, if LUT3D are for consume content with madVR… take the one you like most if it is possible to visually choose one over the other.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Vincent.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Profile will store that black is “perfect”, hence computed LUT3D will asume it too. This may not be what you want. It may (or may not) look more pleasing than other setups for you, but may report higher errors if you want to validate. IDNK what you want to do, if LUT3D are for consume content with madVR… take the one you like most if it is possible to visually choose one over the other.

I want to be able to achieve higher black output offset without clipping or crushing the blacks in madvr, as for the windows calibration – it doesn’t bother me that much.

Samskihero
    Participant

Hence is a GPU problem. If on a nvidia try dither registry hack somewhere in this forum… otherwise no way to fix it.

I’ll commit to trying this either tonight or tomorrow and post back!

Maybe you have print profile simulation active… which should simulate printed black, which is brighter that your display black. It’s inteded to work than way so you can test using software how things will look printed.

I don’t seem to, LR is pretty limited in that area and the sRGB Profile with windows display still looks good

I’ve tried using color-managed viewers and the exported images remain fine, It’s like I need to export a ICCv2 file not ICCv4 because what I’m using LR “Classic Adobe” hates it

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Samskihero
    Participant

Here are some more images

Attachments:

Samskihero
    Participant

I’m Going to summarise some things, So I’m guessing this is a big issue with my PC or something because Simply put Display Cal profiles don’t work correctly with (LR, PS, Capture One) although Photoshop I can add my monitor profile to the assigned profile and it fixes the issue, other software seem fine

Sadly there seems to be almost very little to no information on this issue online, Nothing from capture one and just one post having the same issue fixed by the same thing adobe always say “Change to the sRGB profile by windows”

There was another post reinforcing the idea that LR only works with matrix and ICCv2, but Capture one as well? not need any info on that

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/washed-out-blacks-shadow-banding-in-lightroom-but-not-in-photoshop/td-p/9253747?page=1

Going to take this conversation to Capture one and Adobe but expecting a lot

I even downloaded a color profile from Rtings sadly the profile doesn’t seem to change anything looks identical to the sRGB in windows

Post of my monitor is here https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/jg50

I’ve attached the profile and my profiles fro the sake of it

Lastly, my monitor is a VA panel with a 3000:1 contrast ratio would that have a chance of effectively my black levels and how it responds? Could it also be that I’m not committing to a sub 120cd and keeping to a 300cd?

Because of the lack of information, I can only include this issue is purely on my end not really LR or Capture ones fault it has to stem from the calibration it’s self

Thanks again For everything

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Samskihero.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Samskihero.
    Attachments:

S Simeonov
    Participant

I would use 80 nits, or 100 nits or 120 nits, depending on your environment. IMHO 300 nits is way too high.

Samskihero
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll give it a go to see that I get!

My Output is for mobile phones (300-500 nits devices) so I felt that it would be good to keep it similar plus I physically like 300 nits but I’ll see what kinda results I get

Thanks!!

Samskihero
    Participant

Gave that ago results are the same weird gamma response on the blacks being fades and just less brightness which is less ideal for me

Samskihero
    Participant

Thanks, everyone Especially you VIncent for all the help

I’m just going to decide to leave calibration as windows default sRGB as it’s the only true reliable color measurement I have from start to finish, It looks good from the editing process to the exported image on my desktop to the view posted online it’s all the same and matches really well on multiple devices as well.

The calibration on color managed software is just so far from what other devices actually see and it’s causing me to edit pictures with too much contrast can’t wrap my head around it

Frustrating knowing I’m not using a calibrated display but it’s too complex to understand

Thanks for all the help! Maybe I’ll come back to calibration in the near future… or hopefully not Haha

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS