Asus VG27AQ1A + Spyder 5 contrast setting

Home Forums General Discussion Asus VG27AQ1A + Spyder 5 contrast setting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jesse Curtis
    Participant

Hi all,

I picked up a new monitor recently and I want to calibrate it using displaycal and a Spyder 5 that I have. Monitor calibration is definitely not my forte.

when doing the initial instrument/monitor settings where you change the RGB values and brightness directly on the monitor, I can get it all to align with the arrows in the center but I don’t see anything for contrast to ensure it’s at the correct level.

I think I have everything else sorted out, just need help with contrast setting.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge and not knowing the correct terms

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Reset your display, [plug in your display with DP if you have nVidia card or set HDMI full range in driver for Intel/AMD,] select corresponding colorimeter correction for Spyder (looks like PFS-type panel, try to use Mac 2016 correction), set 6500K target WP, set medium speed and 1curve+mtx profile type, turn on black point compensation (not correction!). Run calibration/profiling, correct brightness to desirable level (better to use 100…180cdm), get correct RGB relation in display user mode. Stop process, change WP setting to “as measured” and proceed full calibration/profiling process (no WP correction is needed at this pass), then check for white color and skin tones (in attached images) in Photoshop  (MS photo viewer may work too, but this depends on update state). Try to correct skin tones with RGB bars in display menu by eye (better to avoid green bar if you have “50” neutral levels). You should also install the profile properly, Win11 and even last updates of Win10 may need to set display profile in the third tab of Color Management in Control Panel, set also “relative colorimetric” as default intent here. Consumer applications and games generally don’t work with ICC profiles, but you may use DWM_LUT tool to emulate standard profile (usually sRGB) with some lower tolerance and speed fall in games, you have to do some more work to set it up.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jesse Curtis
    Participant

Oh boy, I feel a little over my head now.

Try to correct skin tones with RGB bars in display menu by eye (better to avoid green bar if you have “50” neutral levels)

Question: why would you set the RGB bars by eye, isn’t the point of the colorometer to make this correct?

Also when in the display menu all of the RGB values start at 100, should I lower them all to 50?

You should also install the profile properly, Win11 and even last updates of Win10 may need to set display profile in the third tab of Color Management in Control Panel

Are you referring to the monitor driver? I believe I’ve done this, I’ve gone to Asus and downloaded the monitor driver and loaded it into control panel but I’m not sure if I’ve set it to “relative colorimetric”

In regards to the contrast, the display menu has a contrast slider 0-100, is there a certain value this should be set at?

Thanks

Алексей Коробов
    Participant
    1. Sad to say, neither Spyders and i1Display, nor X-Rite i1Pro are not very precise devices for checking WP, but another problem is our perception of white: the standard had determined it for full-spectrum light sources like sunlight and tungsten bulb, while consumer displays usually have “irregular” red spectrum. Moreover, display white perception slightly depends on ambient lighting (paper white highly depends on here).
    2. 50 units bar level limit is only actual for displays that have 50 neutral level, i.e. they balance native panel white around 50, while your display seems to have 100 of 100 native white, so don’t care on.
    3. I’m talking on profile you would build with DisplayCAL, not Asus factory profile. However, DisplayCAL allows you to test Asus profile, use “current” profile setting in test tab. Usually display instances come away of factory profiles, some factory profiles are simply wrong.
    4. Don’t touch contrast level, keep it as is after display reset.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS