"As Measured" question…

Home Forums Help and Support "As Measured" question…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So is it more accurate to create the madVR 3D LUT with “Do not use vgct” unchecked

Which option are you talking about?

In this case can the number of patches be left at 425 for a good result?

425 usually provides a reasonable baseline accuracy.

Monstieur
    Participant

Which option are you talking about?

I would do a calibration with the “Default” preset (instead of the madVR preset) and export the 3D LUT for madVR.

Monstieur
    Participant

Also, what if I do not want to reset the VCGT just because I’m watching a video in windowed mode? It makes the desktop and browser inaccurate until I close the video. I want to leave the GPU LUT loaded and export the madVR 3D LUT without “Apply calibration (vgct)”. However, DisplayCAL Profile Loader always disables itself when madVR is detected, even if the “Disable GPU gamma ramps” option in madVR is unchecked. This in itself isn’t a problem, but if I Alt-Tab into another fullscreen application, the LUT usually gets reset.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Monstieur.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Oh damn the hyperactive youth with their lack of attention span who want to do twenty things at once 😉

isplayCAL Profile Loader always disables itself when madVR is detected, even if the “Disable GPU gamma ramps” option in madVR is unchecked.

Nothing that can be done about that, as the loader cannot know which options you’re using in madVR.

This in itself isn’t a problem, but if I Alt-Tab into another fullscreen application, the LUT usually gets reset.

Then maybe don’t do that. 🙂

Monstieur
    Participant

Oh damn the hyperactive youth with their lack of attention span who want to do twenty things at once 😉

I actually open YouTube links in MPC-HC with SVP for high frame rate extrapolation, so I use the browser side-by-side and it suffers from the reset GPU LUT if I make madVR fullscreen. The Windows 10 Creators Update bug always resets the GPU LUT in fullscreen regardless of whether the application requested it or not. But if the application did not explicitly set the gamma ramp, it can be overridden again by DisplayCAL while still fullscreen.

Nothing that can be done about that, as the loader cannot know which options you’re using in madVR.

If I can disable the madVR detection completely so that DisplayCAL continues to preserve the LUT, it would solve the problem.

Monstieur
    Participant

My goal is to have a seamless experience and have my desktop and borderless windowed mode application behave like a macOS colour managed desktop.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I can disable the madVR detection completely so that DisplayCAL continues to preserve the LUT, it would solve the problem.

A better solution that requires no configuration change in the profile loader is now available with DisplayCAL 3.2.8 Beta. The loader will detect if madVR doesn’t reset the calibration, and keep preserving it in that case. Note that this will not work if another application uses the SetDeviceGammaRamp (desktop) API.

My goal is to have a seamless experience and have my desktop and borderless windowed mode application behave like a macOS colour managed desktop.

Windows doesn’t do desktop-wide color management, so the experience will never be as seamless as under Mac OS X.

Monstieur
    Participant

Note that this will not work if another application uses the SetDeviceGammaRamp (desktop) API.

What do you mean? Is this different from fullscreen games that reset the gamma ramp?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What do you mean? Is this different from fullscreen games that reset the gamma ramp?

Fullscreen games use the fullscreen API. Both that and the desktop (GDI) API change the same underlying hardware, but that the fullscreen API gamma change affects the desktop is a bug in the API (or drivers, not sure). My solution tries to work around that bug.

Monstieur
    Participant

A better solution that requires no configuration change in the profile loader is now available with DisplayCAL 3.2.8 Beta. The loader will detect if madVR doesn’t reset the calibration, and keep preserving it in that case. Note that this will not work if another application uses the SetDeviceGammaRamp (desktop) API.

I just noticed that when I accidentally exported the 3DLUT with VGCT applied, the loader still reset the calibration even though I had unchecked “Disable GPU gamma ramps” in madVR.  When I recreated the 3DLUT without VGCT it stopped resetting. How is this possible? Is the loader actually detecting  whether the 3DLUT file includes the VGCT rather than depending on the madVR setting?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Monstieur.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I just noticed that when I accidentally exported the 3DLUT with VGCT applied, the loader still reset the calibration even though I had unchecked “Disable GPU gamma ramps” in madVR. When I recreated the 3DLUT without VGCT it stopped resetting. How is this possible?

It’s not the loader that resets the videoLUT (video card gama tables), it’s madVR. That is intended: When the 3D LUT already contains the calibration, it is crucial that it is not applied again via the videoLUT. Conversely, if the 3D LUT does not contain the calibration, it is crucial that it is applied via another way (i.e. the videoLUT).

Is the loader actually detecting whether the 3DLUT file includes the VGCT rather than depending on the madVR setting?

No. The loader doesn’t know or care about a 3D LUT, it just checks wether madVR is running and the state of the videoLUT.

Monstieur
    Participant

But “Disable” was always unchecked in madVR for both 3DLUT files – with and without VGCT. When the one with VGCT was selected, it would reset the LUT and the loader tray icon would say “Detected madVR. Calibration not appled” or something. However the one without VGCT does not reset the LUT and the loader tray icon says “Detected madVR. Calibration was (re)applied …”.

Why is the LUT being reset if the 3DLUT contains VGCT even though “Disable” is unchecked? Is it a madVR bug? Is it even possible to identify from the 3DLUT file format if it contains the VGCT?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

However the one without VGCT does not reset the LUT and the loader tray icon says “Detected madVR. Calibration was (re)applied …”.

Then the calibration is linear, which is effectively the same as no calibration.

Monstieur
    Participant

I think you’re missing the point. When “Disable” is unchecked in madVR, there should be no visible change in the desktop gamma. However the LUT is being reset if I select a 3DLUT file in madVR which accidentally had VGCT applied. Why is this happening? Is madVR ignoring the checkbox?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When “Disable” is unchecked in madVR, there should be no visible change in the desktop gamma.

Wrong. When the 3D LUT was created with calibration applied, madVR will reset the videoLUT to linear when the 3D LUT is used. This is intended and required. The “disable GPU gamma ramps” setting is irrelevant in that case.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS