Apple Cinema Display 30" white point issue

Home Forums Help and Support Apple Cinema Display 30" white point issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pciccone
    Participant

Hi.

I’m trying to calibrate two displays attached to the same computer:

• Apple Cinema Display 30″
    • ASUS PB278

This is using a Mac Pro with El Capitan and a I1 Display 2 device.

At the beginning of the calibration DisplaCal asks to adjust the color and brightness controls to adjust the whitepoint. The Cinema Display can’t adjust colors manually . The result, at the end of the calibration is a distinct yellowish tint, the white balance is definitely off.

With the ASUS display I can adjust the RGB values to reach a level that is close to the optimal, based on the dialog box that measures it,and the final result seems OK, but it’s very different from the Cinema Display. Calibrating with the i1 Display 2 utility delivers close results but I’d like to learn to use DisplayCal instead. Any advice on how to calibrate the Cinema Display?

Thanks in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

At the beginning of the calibration DisplaCal asks to adjust the color and brightness controls to adjust the whitepoint. The Cinema Display can’t adjust colors manually . The result, at the end of the calibration is a distinct yellowish tint, the white balance is definitely off.

Which white point target did you use? You probably want to use “As measured”.

pciccone
    Participant

I had the “out of the box” options,  “Interactive display adjustment” checked, I’m not sure about the rest.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The calibration makes the grayscale have the same hue as the whitepoint, so in isolation this is correct. But you probably want to match the white points of your two displays. To do this, you should pick one of the two monitors as reference (e.g. the Acer) and then use the visual whitepoint editor on the other to match the white. After you have achieved a match, measure the white on the visual whitepoint editor to set it as calibration target and recalibrate.

pciccone
    Participant

Thank you for the advice. How do I measure the white?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s a “measure” button on the visual whitepoint editor.

pciccone
    Participant

OK, found it, thank you. There is an issue though. When I call the Visual Whitepoint Editor the display changes colors drastically. Is that normal?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, this is normal. To have the whole range of each channel (R, G and B) available for adjustment, the calibration is (temporarily) reset to linear.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS