A couple feature requests.

Home Forums General Discussion A couple feature requests.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Darkmatter
    Participant

I know I mentioned at least one of these things in a thread in Help and Support but I had a few ideas so I’m going to put them here.

1. Sometimes when doing a long calibration and profile you need to continue to use your computer, even if only over to the side of the screen to surf something. The problem is that sometimes a windows such as right clicking, and accidentally minimizing the desktop among others, can screw up your test. I’d like to see auto-save states with a set auto-save time that DisplayCal can continue from if there is a problem that stops the test, and a feature on the calibration/characterization/etc sections of a test as well for resuming from your chosen auto-save.
    2. I’d also like to see a sort of “quick” version of the above in the way of a “Undo” button that if a window pops up over your patch you can hit the undo button 1 or more times to go back 1 or more patches.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Darkmatter.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Darkmatter.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, not going to consider this. There is always the option to pause the measurements manually (which should only be done for brief amounts of time), and if you find the need to do that often then you should reconsider the amount of patches you’re measuring and/or your computer usage habits (if you really need to use the computer all the time and can’t wait for measurements to finish, let it run overnight while you sleep).

Darkmatter
    Participant

Actually I do do this but my sleep is buggered so I am up at crazy, stupid hours.

Never hurts to ask.

Thanks for reading my idea.

DM

namefaceguy
    Participant

I second this.  I have had so many frustrating moment where I’m trying to use the pc during a calibration and all of a sudden a windows will ask for administrator privileges and set me back an hour.  It’s more of an issue with slower colorometers that I started with but still seems like a legit quality of life request.

Darkmatter
    Participant

Had this happen again. I had to let it finish another hour of patches so it could compute the calibration portion so I could select “as measured” for all the options in the calibration section and redo the patches. 1 second of Windows putting something over the screen can, at best, only ruin your patches, but not the calibration curves. Worse case, it ruins a slow calibration test that takes hours to complete.

If I may offer a possible compromise that might be easier to implement, and heck, I’d even take a command line argument. What if you could set a DE value that if the patch falls outside that range, because Windows put a popup over your patch, it will re-do the patch, just like it does with so many of the black calibration patches? You already have code to have the device do this for the calibration portion. I’m no coder so I have no idea how hard it would be to re-purpose some of the code for this. It waits 5 seconds between attempts, and after 3 tries it moves on with whatever reading it gets.

Just a thought. I think this has happened to me more than 5 times on a slow calibration, and if you move the “rude” popup to fast during a slow calibration, you can end up with it passing the DE but still being pretty far off due to a sudden burst of brighter, often coloured, light. I found it is actually better to leave the window there for 5 seconds (only if your at the calibration part that redoes the attempt if the DE is out of range) so that it purposely doesn’t pass that round.

Just a hope. A man can hope can’t he? 😉

Edit: Just noticed I labeled this feature requests and I was just about to make a new thread on that subject so I’ll just add them here.

It would be, painful, if you picked a low number, but possibly useful both for lower DE numbers and for higher DE numbers, if you could pick a “custom DE number”, and a custom number of rounds. Basically, what DE you want your calibrator to accept for each round. You could use this to tweak how long and how accurate your calibration is. You could make it faster than the fast speed, but not as fast as the very fast speed. Or if you’re going out of town for 24h, you could set the DE to 2 for the final round. lol

Masochistic if you need your PC, but if your going away for the night or weekend, hey, do a 2 DE calibration with 10k patches. Why not? lol

Lastly, I would love a checkbox, an advanced option, a command line argument, or whatever, that tells DisplayCal to automatically apply the calibration once complete and to immediately do a verification test that you would set the patch range in the verification tab before you started the calibration. It’s an unnecessary waste of time to have to get up in the morning to apply the finished calibration, and then wait for a verification report, when it could all be automated. Now if this is already possibly and I’ve missed how to do it, please let me know!

Thanks!

DM

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Darkmatter.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS